PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 12.04 without getting Unity?

kohoutek1
April 19th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I'm using and enjoying GNOME Shell on 11.10. I removed Unity and KDE months ago. Will I be able to upgrade to 12.04 without having to get Unity and then remove it again?

wojox
April 19th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to reinstall Unity before you upgrade.

kohoutek1
April 19th, 2012, 06:16 AM
It would be nice to be able to keep my current DE intact. Was hoping for an upgrade to 12.04 followed by an upgrade to GNOME 3.4.

Will the full upgrade to 12.04 leave my GNOME 3.2.2 alone as configured, or should I expect changes? If not, what should I expect to happen, and how can I minimize any unwanted effects?

(Is this question too general?)

PaulW2U
April 19th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Will the full upgrade to 12.04 leave my GNOME 3.2.2 alone as configured, or should I expect changes? If not, what should I expect to happen, and how can I minimize any unwanted effects?

Upgrading to 12.04 will also upgrade Gnome to 3.4. Expect some of your Gnome Shell extensions not to work. :(

kohoutek1
April 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Good news: 12.04 upgrade includes upgrade to 3.4

Bad news: some extensions may not work.

What about other DE configurations, such as themes, AWN, etc.?

lisati
April 19th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Please do not start duplicate threads, it dilutes the community's ability to help.

kohoutek1
April 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Please do not start duplicate threads, it dilutes the community's ability to help.

Sorry about that. I reposted for 2 reasons:
(1) Didn't see my original post appear in the general forum even after several minutes, though it did appear in the "See all your posts" page;
(2) Tried to edit my first post to move it to the "Installation & Upgrades" forum, which would be more relevant, but couldn't figure out how to do that in the editing form. Any assistance with this second point would be appreciated.

I'd prefer to keep the thread in the "Installation & Upgrades" forum.

Thanks!

PaulW2U
April 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Tried to edit my first post to move it to the "Installation & Upgrades" forum, which would be more relevant, but couldn't figure out how to do that in the editing form. Any assistance with this second point would be appreciated.

Only Forum staff can move or delete posts. Us mere users can only edit the contents of our posts.

Will I be able to upgrade to 12.04 without having to get Unity and then remove it again?

In order to remove Unity you probably removed the meta package 'ubuntu-desktop'.

If the upgrade process reinstalls 'ubuntu-desktop' then the latest version of Unity will be installed.

kohoutek1
April 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Who knows... I might even find 12.04 with Unity more to my liking than Gnome Shell ;)

kohoutek1
April 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Here's my report after upgrading:

Since I did not have Unity before the upgrade, Unity was not installed on my system during the upgrade. I had assumed it would be, and that it would take over as default.

GNOME Shell was installed as the default DE, but NO extensions work, which means no themes, either. But that is, for the most part, easy to fix thanks to the extensions webpage.

Things are getting back to normal quickly, then.:p