PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing v11.10

xXxTommy316xXx
April 19th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I have attempted to install this several times with no success. I keep getting an error message that says "Permissions Denied" and then it tells me, for more info. see the following log file, which is in a nonexistent path. Needless to say, I am at a loss, currently. Can anyone help me out with this please ?

codemaniac
April 19th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Hello xXxTommy316xXx ,

Warm greetings and welcome to the Ubuntuforums .
It would be helpful if you provide more information on the above issue .Are you talking about installation of a new application or 11.10 version of ubuntu .

Best Regards,
Codemaniac

xXxTommy316xXx
April 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Hello xXxTommy316xXx ,

Warm greetings and welcome to the Ubuntuforums .
It would be helpful if you provide more information on the above issue .Are you talking about installation of a new application or 11.10 version of ubuntu .

Best Regards,
Codemaniac

A new application, I downloaded the "wubi" installer to run Ubuntu alongside windows.

codemaniac
April 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Wubi is good as a stepping stone to ubuntu linux and will give you a taste of Ubuntu .However when you start feeling comfortable , you may do a normal installation .

xXxTommy316xXx
April 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Oh I did not know that. However I cannot install Ubuntu, which is my problem.

bcbc
April 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM
That nonexistent path exists and you can get there with this shortcut (environment variable): %TEMP%
If you navigate step by step you'll fail as some parts are hidden by windows (default setting).

codemaniac
April 21st, 2012, 04:21 AM
I believe until now you have played with the live Ubuntu cd/usb in windoes environment .Had you by any chance given a try booting off from the CD , it will let you play with options like Try Ubuntu / Install Ubuntu .
What error exactly yoyu are getting when you try to boot from the CD , can you please post ?

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 05:19 AM
when installing WUbi when you get the error just do a reboot and wubi will continue to set up and boot..

I installed 3x on this lap top with wubi and everytime the same error and the install is working fine, for some reason the wubi installer can not bring up the reboot now notice ..

jadtech
April 21st, 2012, 05:31 AM
in finding that the wubi install is going strong im sure a full install would be way better, it is a bit resistant to upgrade to 12.04 beta 2 but finally got info that got it to work on the AMD 64bit with the AMD ati video card today ..

if you give your self a big enough partition to play on it it could run this way for a long while , most important thing to remember is don't be afraid to do things don't get upset or frustrated if things go wrong while learning and you need to re-install thats what learning is all about :)

bcbc
April 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM
when installing WUbi when you get the error just do a reboot and wubi will continue to set up and boot..

I installed 3x on this lap top with wubi and everytime the same error and the install is working fine, for some reason the wubi installer can not bring up the reboot now notice ..
That's true, but only if it's bug 862003. There are other possible reasons for failure where that won't work.

xXxTommy316xXx
April 21st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I will try to install Ubuntu from the Wubi again, only this time rebooting afterwards. If that does not work I will copy the error message and post it. Thanks again !