PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 11.10 - no launcher

Engineer65
April 19th, 2012, 02:43 AM
ASUS MB, AMD Phenom II, 64 bit. Was running 10.04, tried to update to 11.04 then 11.10. I have supposedly installed 11.10 but get no "dash" or "launcher". I can see nothing with which to launch apps, programs or almost anything else. I do get the little menu at the top left of the screenand a screen background. I can get to files with the top left menu but no program or app launch tools. I can run nothing. I know firefox is installed as I can see it in some files but can't launch it. I had the same problem with 11.04 when I tried to launch it. Apparantly my gui is not launching or something. Any Ideas on how to fix?

PS - just tried booting from iso disk and the launcher appeared and seemed to work as intended. WHen I first installed 11.04 the launcher was visible. I tried to use the 3d cube etc. in Compiz and after I marked those changes the launcher disappeared. Not sure why, but those settings may still be in machine as I did not do a "clean" install. Any idea how to get to the software manager or uninstall Compiz? without the launcher. Would like to see if that cured the problem.

PS2 - Did a clean install of 11.10 and it installed and the launcher is visible. Investigating further it seems that the current Compiz is not completly compatible with 11.10 or 11.04. Have not launched Compiz and most everthing seems to be working although there are still a few bugs for me in 11.10.