PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in helping with parental controls?

christmasisland
June 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hi,

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple months and have tried to get DansGuardian to work with a proxy to allow me to filter the internet for my two children. I have searched and tried all kinds of howto's both on the Ubuntu forums and from other forums, usually resulting in the internet breaking.

I don't know what I'm doing so when it breaks I don't know how to fix it and have to reinstall.

I was wondering if anyone is willing/able/interested in creating an "Automatix" type script to install DansGuardian with FireHOL/tinyproxy? If that isn't feasible could someone create a Ubuntu specific howto with easy to follow directions?

Here is a link to my post on the General 6.06 forum http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1134961#post1134961

Thank you very much for listening :)

Sincerely,
Mike

cazinpa
June 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hi!

I am working on a custom edubuntu cd for this. I have a downloadable ISO if you are interested. I just have to figure out how to get it to you ;-P Anyone have a good place to upload it?

It is edubuntu with a few things removed, and dansguardian/tinyproxy added to it. I have also locked down firefox to keep anyone from changing the proxy settings.

It also has the installer which configures your system for you. It is based on Dapper.

Please contact me if you are interested!

I am calling it Edubuntu-Guardian at the moment. I did it for my own uses - and to give to people who ask me about how to keep their kids safe on the internet.

Thanks,
Andy Zook

jjtechno
July 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Andy,
If you have a means of distributing your iso, I would love a copy of it.
best regards

cre8ivgil
July 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I would love a copy as well. Do you have any more information in regards to getting out?

tonhou
July 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Not sure if you seen this howto that I put together for dansguardian:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207008

Perhaps it may be helpful.

--Tony