PDA

View Full Version : Linux, Apple, and the Lurid Allure of Consumerism

Linuxratty
April 19th, 2012, 12:28 AM
A very insightful article indeed.
I felt the same way when I dumped Windows eight years ago.

I am 48 hours post-install of Ubuntu on my iMac, and I already weep that I did not do this sooner. The experience is like night and day and I was foolish for waiting so long.
http://www.seattlerex.com/linux-apple-and-the-lurid-allure-of-consumerism/

lykwydchykyn
April 19th, 2012, 04:41 AM
That was... entertaining, at least. Maybe a bit over the top. I guess it's nice he's happy now.

dpny
April 19th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Many problems with the article. One, at random:

With that being said, when a dozen programs are running at once, Ubuntu is so much faster and smoother than OS X that I wouldn’t even put them into the same category. With the spinning beachballs making frequent appearances, OS X has a Windows 95 thing going on. Ubuntu just smokes the Mac operating system like a fat blunt at a rap concert — and I have Linux running on an encrypted file system. Imagine how much faster it would be if I didn’t.

I'm currently running 9 apps, plus two VMs, in one of which I'm playing Mass Effect 2, and OS X isn't skipping a beat. Not exactly an informatve article.

Sounds like PEBKAC to me.

ubuntu27
April 19th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Nice read. Thanks for sharing Linuxratty.

mamamia88
April 19th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Obviously hasn't used anything post 10.10

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2012, 06:13 AM
He talks about Unity in the comments. So, nice try.

When (Yellow) Snow Leopard was released late last year, the first thing I noticed was that it broke Expose’. Instead of thumbnail size based on window size, every thumbnail now had equal sizing. This was terrible, and it broke my favorite feature of OS X.
I find this hilarious, because I was just envying today how much nicer the exposé looks on OSX with the natural window placement and even scaling to complete the metaphor of pushing the windows backward in space and spreading them out. (And no, the Shell extension doesn't do the trick.)