PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install ubuntu 11.10

killer0ne
April 18th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I have tried to instll ubuntu on my old laptop running win 7 for a week now, but all of my attepts have been unsuccessful so far. I have never used it before so it is very new to me. I have burned 2 discs with different isos and both didn't even get to the installer. First time i saw the installer was with unetbootin and the it showed some error about my cdrom not being able to unmount. I even bought a 4gb usb to install with livelinux and that gave me the same error. My old laptop has an intel 945 motherboard. Please help.

javierc
April 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
some computer have it so that a virus can't write to the boot sector, the side effect is that you can't install a operating system.

so go to your BIOS and see if that option is there, to disable it

codemaniac
April 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hello killer0ne,
Welcome to the UbuntuForums .!

Cannot you just go ahead with the Unetbootin installer , it should give you a option like install ubuntu in its menu .
Intel 945 is compatible with Linux , so there should be no issues with the chipset and all .

killer0ne
April 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hello killer0ne,
Welcome to the UbuntuForums .!

Cannot you just go ahead with the Unetbootin installer , it should give you a option like install ubuntu in its menu .
Intel 945 is compatible with Linux , so there should be no issues with the chipset and all .

when i use unetbootin installer it gives me the cannot unmount cdrom or something like that and then it just won't install.

some computer have it so that a virus can't write to the boot sector, the side effect is that you can't install a operating system.

so go to your BIOS and see if that option is there, to disable it

i have installed win 7 on it 2 times(before it had vista), so that's not the issue.

codemaniac
April 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Can you post the exact error message you are having ?
That would help shooting the trouble .

killer0ne
April 18th, 2012, 07:35 PM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/img1310p.jpg/

that's the error

codemaniac
April 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
By any chance seems like your both installation media(cd rom and usb) trying to mount at the same place . :/

killer0ne
April 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
the error message is from when i was trying to install with unetbootin

codemaniac
April 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Are you using sanDisk flash drives , they are known for some issues in U3 Launckpad .See the Ubuntu usb install known issues .Still i feel that somehow both your media's are trying to mount at the same placeholder (/CDROM) .

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

lisanels47
April 19th, 2012, 01:25 AM
What version of Linux? Try a ubuntu 11.10 install on a flash drive. I've never seen the screen you have in the message.

tmaranets
April 19th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Try a liveCD. Your motherboard should be suitable for Linux.

killer0ne
April 19th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I am trying to install 11.10. I don't think it's the flash drive's problem(it's a kingston), because i get the same error when trying to install with unetbootin. But after my first attept to install with my usb it just would't boot afterwards. I'll try to install using a cd again.

codemaniac
April 19th, 2012, 06:09 AM
KillerOne , last thing you should check if kingston comes with some pre installed autorun programs like in sandisk .If so you need to remove them .

A snippet from the link i have shared with you earlier .the link below(known issues section) .
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

"Natty Narwhal 11.04 is having issues with USB flash drives from SanDisk that have U3 Launchpad. You can either use another brand or use either u3-tool from Ubuntu Repositories or SanDisk's U3 Launchpad Removal Tool to remove U3."

killer0ne
April 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM
The issue is still the cdrom, even when trying to install with the kingston flash drive and with unetbootin.

killer0ne
April 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
I installed an older version 10.10 and then upgraded to 11.10 but it crashes after boot. yay another problem