PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update not requiring password

unknown user
April 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Recently Ihave been using 11.10 and enjoying it. However, I recently had an issues trying to update the system after the initial build, after trying to change the proxy settings. Afer reverting ack, I was able to download the updates and all seemed OK.

Yesterday, I run the update manager and was able to instal the one update (adobe) without having to enter my password. I thought this was a little strange as I have never before been able to update my system without entering the admin password.

Does anyone know of any settings that I can check or are there some updates that can be done without the need of the password? I have tried to update the system again, but there are no updates available.

drs305
April 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
You could try reinstalling a currently-installed package. For example:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gedit

unknown user
April 22nd, 2012, 04:01 AM
No luck. I was able to still do the updates without being asked to confirm the actions by putting in my system password. I have just done two updates today again without having to enter my password.

Is there a setting that I may of changed without knowing it that stops the system from asking for the password before you perform such acts? The funny thing is that when I install new applications I have to enter my password. Strange or what??

unknown user
May 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have been keeping my eyes on this now for a bit now and today, I have installed around 40 updates and when i just had the "Important Updates" ticked, I was asked for my password after clicking on the update button.

I then installed the recommended updates, just after the important updates had finished and I was not asked for the password.

Due to the fact that I was asked for my password the first time, I am happy with that.

houseworkshy
May 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
This thread on the same issue may be of interest
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811202

unknown user
May 14th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Thanks for that houseworkshy, I sure will have a look at it and see if I can take anything from it.