PDA

View Full Version : Hardware and Software Support for Campaign - who want's to join?

H.E. Pennypacker
June 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
As you all have seen, Firefox has had tremendous success with its campaign, and if it wasn't for Inter Explorer being installed by default, Firefox would likely beat Internet Explorer.

I wonder, could the same be done with a campaign that encourages software creators and hardware manufacturers to provide native support for Linux? I believe the answer is a definate yes. It is all about how you approach this, and whether you wage a succesfull campaign.

What's one of the most frequent reasons why users won't switch to Linux? Lack of hardware/software (a certain software not being available for Linux) support.

I am not talking about discussions held in the basement of Uncle Joe's house. I am talking about a professional campaign that tells manufacturers why it is in their economic interest to support Linux. I am talking about a pragmatic approach to this, not why they should hate Microsoft as much as any given Linux user. Remember, this is not about why Linux users would LIKE support, this is about WHY it is in THEIR best interest to support Linux users. I am talking about a financial gain for them by supporting Linux.

Like I said, I don't want to create anything less than a professional campaing, one hopefully as succesfull as the "Got Milk?" campaign (that campaign was created by a PR powerhouse). So far, I haven't found anything like my idea. I've found Linux campaigns, but not a campaign that tells manufacturers why they should support Linux.

By professional, I am talking:

1. Surveys that show Linux users are willing to spend money for the right software/hardware.

2. Reports that show how much money manufacturers can pull in by appealing to Linux users.

3. I am talking presentations, calls, and an all-out guerrilla drive.

Any ideas/comments?

rowanparker
June 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I'm in.
Sounds good.
I'll help, I can do web design :D .

Rowan.

nalmeth
June 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Sounds great.

Not much response as of yet??

What are you going to do to head of this campaign?

H.E. Pennypacker
June 26th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Totally sorry about this late response. I regularly check replies to threads, but for some reason, this thread missed me.

I'm in.
Sounds good.
I'll help, I can do web design .

Awesome!

Not much response as of yet??

True. I believe momentum will gather when people notice that it actually means something, and that it is not something like those online petitions that have no effect.

What are you going to do to head of this campaign?

The purpose here is to instill into the heads of corporate executives that every customer is important, and that no one should be ignored. What gives one the impression that Linux users won't bring in the same amount of revenue as Windows users?

The same goes for free software under Windows. Why should that software be available, and always up to date, on Window, but not Linux? Take Macromedia Flash, for example. Since Adobe (the current owner of Macromedia Flash) is making no money from providing Flash downloads in Windows, what incentive is there for them to do it for Windows, and not Linux? It doesn't make sense. They're getting nothing out of either operating system, so they may as well treat both equally. Besides, having a better name recognition in Linux will spread the word about their products amongst Linux users, although everyone already knows the products they make (let's assume there's someone out there who does not know what Photoshop is).

If someone can do the webdesign, I most certainly can do the writing for the website. Hopefully, others will take notice, and we'll be able to form a team dedicated to this cause.

aysiu
June 26th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Just have Linux users write letters to hardware vendors saying, "I really like your product X, but unfortunately I was unable to purchase it as you currently don't have any drivers for Linux available, so I ended up purchasing Y from Z company instead.

I hope you'll be able to offer Linux support for your products in the future."

If they get enough of these letters, they'll know it's in their best interest to support Linux.

rowanparker
June 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
It's quite alright for late reply.

Is there anything I can do to help (I like PHP :-D )?

Although I may be a bit slow as I am involved in an Ubuntu Mail prorgram (see this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198548)).

Rowan.

G Morgan
June 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I think the better campaign might be showing them where business is moving towards standard commoditisation and how Linux supports that. Show them why continualy headaches like changing standards are annoying companies and that the companies know that MS causes this and know about the alternatives (Red Hats 40% share price increase over a year and their purchase of JBoss for $400M should show some intent and market penetration, other examples can be found).

Apart from this I think the volume of traffic in this direction is what will eventually change things. Every single one of these initiative shuld be supported since in the end its the chorus that will swing it not the individual.

GuitarHero
June 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I dont think you should approach it with a hating windows approach if you want to look professional. A top notch web site and well written content for it is essential. Get a petition going on it. Set a goal for a number of names, and then shop it around to hardware makers(ATI anyone?). I'll help out with the website if you want, but it looks like two other people have already claimed that job. We need to come up with a name and logo. Anyone have any ideas?

joe_lace
June 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I think to convince them why they should develop for Linux you have to take an honest look at why they shouldn't. Basically, cost benefit analasys. Let's assume that developing a project for Windows isn't much more expensive than developing one for Linux. Why would the spend the same ammount of money to reach less users? They maximize their profits by developing for Windows because more people use Windows. What is our logic? Well if you start developing for Linux people will start buying Linux. While the "if you build it they will come" philosophy works great in movies, it is a lot more risky in business. You have to show them that their application will sell enough to justify the costs of development. I think that the hardest thing you will have in front of you is convincing them that they will be able to market their product to people who don't like paying for software.

H.E. Pennypacker
June 27th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Just have Linux users write letters to hardware vendors saying, "I really like your product X, but unfortunately I was unable to purchase it as you currently don't have any drivers for Linux available, so I ended up purchasing Y from Z company instead.

I hope you'll be able to offer Linux support for your products in the future."

That exactly the frame of mind here, but it needs to be in a more organized fashion. It's needs to be a project driven by people to organize all these letters. That is not the only purpose of this project, however.

It's quite alright for late reply.

Is there anything I can do to help (I like PHP )?

Although I may be a bit slow as I am involved in an Ubuntu Mail prorgram (see this).

Rowan.

Any help would sincerely be appreciated. We don't have to bring about a revolution within weeks, and I believe we should begin with a number of goals that should be accomplished within a year.

I think the better campaign might be showing them where business is moving towards standard commoditisation and how Linux supports that.

Linux may very well be the most "standard" Operating System there is, and I am sure this is of benefit to hardware/software manufacturers. This is definitely a selling point.

Show them why continualy headaches like changing standards are annoying companies and that the companies know that MS causes this and know about the alternatives

I am sure many of them are wasting money by not working with well settled standards, instead opting for standards set by Microsoft.

(Red Hats 40% share price increase over a year and their purchase of JBoss for $400M should show some intent and market penetration, other examples can be found).

There is no way we could forget about the number of entities switching to Linux (schools, deparments in government, businesses, etc.), and how this could be an excellent area of revenue for them. As with the previous point, this is another way of convincing them their own interests are with Linux support.

I dont think you should approach it with a hating windows approach if you want to look professional.

I didn't even have Microsoft/Windows in mind when I thought of this. This is strictly about Linux users, and not bashing competitors.

Set a goal for a number of names, and then shop it around to hardware makers(ATI anyone?).

My first and foremost concern is with those companies that are most important to computer users. For example, Adobe. It is the creator of Photoshop, a piece of software that is considered critical to many people. Another well known program that is not supported in Linux is QuickBooks, a standard in its own industry. Besides software titles like these, the focus is also on hardware manufacturers that are making things difficult for Linux users. Take, for example, Broadcom. It, amongst other things, makes wireless cards. Broadcom is notoriously known for its lack of attention to Linux users, and it appears to show animosity towards Linux. Whatever the case, getting on the backs of these manufacturers is what this project has in mind.

I'll help out with the website if you want, but it looks like two other people have already claimed that job.

There is no such thing as having too many people helping out. You're most certainly welcome.

We need to come up with a name and logo. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of "Linux Integration Project," to signify its attempt to integrate Linux into the major computer world, or to mean integrating software/hardware and Linux.

Why would the spend the same ammount of money to reach less users?

If you listen to the second richest man in the world, patience pays off. Linux will become a major operating system one day, and businesses can't afford to not pay attention to it today, before others already have marked their presence in support of Linux with their own products. For example, Quicken should quickly make sure that QuickBooks becomes Linux's main accounting software, before another company develops something similar or better, before that other company becomes stuck in the minds of Linux users.

Not only that, but why should companies ignore any sort of money that can go their way? Suppose Adobe is making $2 billion from Windows users, and only $10 million from Linux users a year, why is $10 million not enough of an incentive? Any amount of money is worth working for, as long as it is not at a loss. I can't think of a single company that would say "Ah, whatever...let's not bother, because we won't make as much as we'd like." That's complete idiocy!

While the "if you build it they will come" philosophy works great in movies, it is a lot more risky in business.

If you want to think in the best interest of a business, you will think ahead of your competitors, and you will create a water fountain where most people don't go, in case that people do go to the water fountain.

But this is not the angle I wish to use, because I want don't think businesses should busy themselves with this. They should worry about the customers that are currently willing to pay for their products, and not ones that may come. It's actually more important to focus on the customers they are losing.

I think that the hardest thing you will have in front of you is convincing them that they will be able to market their product to people who don't like paying for software.

Let's assume that's a myth, that Linux users are "cheap" or don't want to buy stuff. A lot of Linux users use Linux because they believe in the creed, not because of inability to pay for products or being cheap. If I could have chosen between Windows XP and Ubuntu, and they came at the same cost, when I bought by Dell laptop, I would have gone with Ubuntu.