PDA

View Full Version : Fonts for unicode?

iamanidiot123
April 18th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Which built in font, if any, can render every character in unicode? And, if there are no builtin fonts that can do this, where is there a font that can do this?

grahammechanical
April 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Built into where? What program do you want to use these fonts in?

Libreoffice uses unicode fonts. Load Libreoffice Writer, go to the Insert menu and select Insert Special Character. From the dialogue box select a font and then scroll down the panel to see if the font has what you want. You can also choose a Subset of the font as a shortcut to the section where the characters of the subset are.

This might help you in your search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Having a Unicode font with the characters that you want is only one part of the answer. You also need a keyboard layout to access those characters. In Ubuntu we can add keyboard layouts and switch between them.

See System Settings>Keyboard Layout.

By the way, I would not expect to see in a font music notation characters if that font was part of the default set of fonts for a Word processor, even though I see that music notation characters are part of the Unicode specification.

Regards.

gosocial
April 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Built into where? What program do you want to use these fonts in?

Libreoffice uses unicode fonts. Load Libreoffice Writer, go to the Insert menu and select Insert Special Character. From the dialogue box select a font and then scroll down the panel to see if the font has what you want. You can also choose a Subset of the font as a shortcut to the section where the characters of the subset are.

This might help you in your search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Having a Unicode font with the characters that you want is only one part of the answer. You also need a keyboard layout to access those characters. In Ubuntu we can add keyboard layouts and switch between them.

See System Settings>Keyboard Layout.

By the way, I would not expect to see in a font music notation characters if that font was part of the default set of fonts for a Word processor, even though I see that music notation characters are part of the Unicode specification.

Regards.
I have some problem with adding currencies with this font.Looking for some concrete solution.

urukrama
April 21st, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't know what your needs are, but Gentium might be complete enough for your needs. I don't know of any font that has all unicode characters.

Gentium is a typeface family designed to enable the diverse ethnic groups around the world who use the Latin, Cyrillic and Greek scripts to produce readable, high-quality publications. It supports a wide range of Latin- and Cyrillic-based alphabets.

See http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium

It is in the repositories as fonts-sil-gentium

MisterGaribaldi
April 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Personally, my keyboard layout of choice for Linux is US International AltGR Dead Keys. It works in a very similar (though somewhat more comprehensive) way to how Mac OS X (or even iOS with an external keyboard) does for inserting all kinds of characters.

However, if you're worried about Unicode, I'm assuming you mean non-Western characters. If that's the case, it's not going to matter, you'll need to go hunting manually through the character viewer to find the one(s) you're looking for.