PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation error, fresh install

gprestonmoto
April 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
So my DVD drive doesn't want to boot from a DVD. I was trying to install Studio Ubuntu but couldn't.

So I found out the code to install studio over Ubuntu 11.10. GREAT! But here's my problem, the windows installation was screwed and I don't have Ubuntu on yet. I'm trying to fry all data on the HD and get basic 11.10 running.

I'm stuck at the load screen and looking at the logs I get

strict.pm did not return a true value at /usr/bin/debconf-communcate line 6. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/debconf-communcate line 6.

Someone help me out please. I really need my computer up and running so I can get my damn homework done...

gprestonmoto
April 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Looks like HD fried... yea?

mörgæs
April 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM
If you want to erase everything, best is to begin with www.killdisk.com or www.dban.org . They will also tell if you have physical errors on the drive.

gprestonmoto
April 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Problem is that I can't run anything anymore. Windows won't boot, and Ubuntu won't continue to install. I don't have an extra laptop hard drive to try, so I'm pretty much screwed until I buy a new hard drive and HOPE that's the problem

gprestonmoto
April 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Problem is that I can't run anything anymore. Windows won't boot, and Ubuntu won't continue to install. I don't have an extra laptop hard drive to try, so I'm pretty much screwed until I buy a new hard drive and HOPE that's the problem

Going to try and run the Fujitsu system restore for windows, see if that gets at least windows running and possibly fix some errors and then install Ubuntu over it. Good plan?

mörgæs
April 18th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Have you tried booting from USB?

gprestonmoto
April 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Have you tried booting from USB?

I tried this with the Studio, but it wouldn't fire up. Found some post about a bug that causes problems. Haven't tried to boot regular old 11.10 from usb. Yet.

gprestonmoto
May 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hard drive was toast. Bought a WD Scorpio Black 500gb new for 40 bucks on ebay. All problems went away nicely