PDA

View Full Version : How is 12.04 LTS handling Flash?

samalex
April 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM
With Adobe pulling the Linux version of Flash what is 12.04 LTS shipping with or making available? I've had dismal luck with the FOSS equivalents of Flash, so just curious.

And no I'm not a fan of Flash, but unfortunately too many sites still use Flash navigation or offer content only accessible through the Flash or Shockwave plugin. HTML5 is where it's at, but it'll take some time before it's completely finalized and then before the web will catch up.

vasa1
April 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Flash is a browser plug-in so it's up to your browser to do whatever's needed.
If you use Chrome, there's no worry regarding Flash. You'll get the latest Flash (latest features and security). Even the Flash currently available for Firefox (for Linux) will continue getting security updates for a few years.

SemiExpert
April 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
The Flash plug-in for Firefox is supported with security updates for another 5 years, and while there's always Pepper in Chrome, there currently isn't any reason to switch from Firefox. I've found Flash playback in 12.04 LTS and 11.10 to be quicker than Windows - but HTML5 is superior on every platform.

philinux
April 17th, 2012, 06:41 PM
With Adobe pulling the Linux version of Flash what is 12.04 LTS shipping with or making available? I've had dismal luck with the FOSS equivalents of Flash, so just curious.

And no I'm not a fan of Flash, but unfortunately too many sites still use Flash navigation or offer content only accessible through the Flash or Shockwave plugin. HTML5 is where it's at, but it'll take some time before it's completely finalized and then before the web will catch up.

Fine here. 64 bit.

Gremlinzzz
April 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Flash is a browser plug-in so it's up to your browser to do whatever's needed.
If you use Chrome, there's no worry regarding Flash. You'll get the latest Flash (latest features and security). Even the Flash currently available for Firefox (for Linux) will continue getting security updates for a few years.

True just got a flash player update today=Firefox:popcorn:

samalex
April 17th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks ... I'm still running 10.04 64-bit and it used to be a pain in the butt trying to keep the latest version of Flash up to date, even after Adobe released then pulled the 64-bit version of Flash for Linux. I forgot about Pepper in Chrome, which is what I use a majority of the time, so that'll probably suit me well enough.

kaldor
April 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM
All's good here. Notice nothing better or worse. Smooth enough.