PDA

View Full Version : Why is the world embracing Linux?

Linuxratty
April 17th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Excellent talk which I think you will enjoy.
http://video.linux.com/videos/why-is-the-world-embracing-linux

stookin
April 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
whoa epic

sdowney717
April 17th, 2012, 02:41 PM
To make Linux more acceptable on the desktop, you need to make it work easily for people and perhaps also use a pre installed Apple style approach to this.
I know plenty of people have struggled with windows and I think MS is ahead on desktops cause they were first to market, it mostly works, PC companies and hardware support MS and public perception is everything.

It is easier as a company which is like its own private kingdom to by fiat, pronounce that we will use Linux, make it happen to the underlings.

CaptChadd
April 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I have a feeling that more people are going to move to Ubuntu due to Windows 8 being so new user unfriendly and the metro interface having no place within the business sector.

I feel that Ubuntu can be a cost effective solution for a professional workplace whereas Windows 8 is turning out to be targeted at the home based user with such applications as connection to the Xbox and other various un-buisnesslike apps.

I link Linux will get bigger the more Microsoft moves away from creating business effective operating systems.

Erik1984
April 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Nice talk, have watched the whole video now. Jim Zemlin is definitely a good speaker. He has a pragmatist approach, which can be refreshing if you are used to the more ideological debates regarding free software. Although I'm more on the idealist side I like the arguments he gives for adopting Linux, much more convincing for business types than the free software discourse. On the other hand, Linux as a multi purpose kernel is such a powerful concept it needs no salesman :p

rewyllys
April 18th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Excellent talk which I think you will enjoy.
http://video.linux.com/videos/why-is-the-world-embracing-linux
Very interesting talk. Thanks, Linuxratty, for the link to it.

Linuxratty
April 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Very interesting talk. Thanks, Linuxratty, for the link to it.

I'm pleased you enjoyed it. I thought it was a real winner!