PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Old Hardware

jdralphs
April 16th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I was going through my desk drawers today and found a cache of decade-old hardware I can't figure out what to do with. Who better to advise me than members of the Ubuntu Forums...

Item Number 1: Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
I loved this little PDA back in 2003, but in 2012, does it have any applicability? Can anyone think of a good use for this, other than paperweight? Or a humane way of disposing of it, it saddens me to think of the Zaurus buried in a landfill.

Items 2 and 3: Set of 2 Palm IIIxe's
Who uses Palm Pilots these days? I thought about loading them up with games and giving them to my younger siblings, but thats about all I can think of for these...

Item 4: Iomega Predator External CDRW
If I remember right, this burns at 4x...

Any ideas?

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 17th, 2012, 12:07 AM
The town were I live has an electric recycling day about 2 or 3 times a year. They announce it on the town's website and in the local newspaper. Maybe your community has one as well.

SemiExpert
April 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Item Number 1: Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
I loved this little PDA back in 2003, but in 2012, does it have any applicability? Can anyone think of a good use for this, other than paperweight? Or a humane way of disposing of it, it saddens me to think of the Zaurus buried in a landfill.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/

cariboo
April 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM
@jdralphs, I don't know if the CA in your location means Canada or California, but if you are in Canada most cities have electronics recycling depots. The medals for the past Winter Olympics, gold, silver and bronze were made from elements recycled from computer parts.

wolfen69
April 17th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Give it to someone, or recycle it.

StickyMick
April 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM
What I've always wanted to do, but never found the time, is attempt a bit of Steampunk.
I got an old Win98 Dell CSx that I plan to do something with sometime. I reckon a Steampunk Palm Pilot would get peeps attention at parties. :lolflag:

stookin
April 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
sell it or give it away :guitar: