PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Precise Pangolin

Pages : [1] 2

sffvba[e0rt
April 15th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Well, it is +- 10 days before the release of the Pangolin into the wild... About time to start getting very excited me thinks ;)

Frogs Hair
April 15th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Both Unities and both Gnomes are running very well after hundreds of updates last week . I may reinstall after the final anyway depending how things are running.

Bandit
April 16th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I am excited about it as well. Really hope this LTS will be as great as the last one. Thinking about dropping F16 for 12.04. May wait a month after just to make sure all bugs a smashed first.. hehe

samalex
April 16th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I can't say that I'm excited, I'm still running 10.04 LTS on my laptop and it runs quite well, but given this is LTS I'll probably move to it eventually. I may do a test install on a USB drive though just to be sure it's fully compatible with my laptop.

TeamRocket1233c
April 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
It's sweet that 12.04 is to be released in 10 days.

trivialpackets
April 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm extremely excited. Likely going to be giving my macbook running snow leopard to my wife so I can have the windows laptop to wipe and put the new Ubuntu on!

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I guess for those of us already running it, that won't be a whole lot different than things 8 or 9 days from now. ;)

dh04000
April 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm super excited for the release. I think Unity really has begun to shine under this release. I'm using it >90% of the time now anyways.

The only thing is, is that I'm still getting system errors that bring up that prompt to report it. I used to get it ever 5 minutes, so only every few hours now, but I'm still concerned. Its getting better, but 10 days left and I'm still getting errors? Is this normal, is this happening to anyone else??? I'm using a generation 2 i5. Is this problem hardware related?

(This is not meant a help question, I don't need instructions to fix it, I just want to know if its happening to anyone else)

dniMretsaM
April 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm getting excited. I'll most likely be doing a minimal install with just a window manager (XMonad). I'll probably give Lubuntu a spin, as well. I'm getting a new laptop this summer, and I can guarantee Kubuntu 12.04 is going on that.

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I'm just excited to stop having 450MB updates every couple of days.

blithen
April 17th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I tried the beta everything went smoothly and everything was really awesome in terms of the way it worked, but I couldn't get my sound problem fix easily enough so I went back a version and to Xubuntu, So I'll reinstall once 12.04 is officially released. ^^ Loved the look and feel of it though. I can't believe how much has changed in the years since I've been away.

Also, not found I love how you sign your posts with 404, brings a small nerdy smile to my face everytime. :P

Bandit
April 17th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Been testing 12.04 today and I am very pleased to see many users concerns have been addressed in regards to the UI.

Only only thing that bugs me is how the "File Edit View Etc. Etc." on the menu bar. You see the program title and have to hilight it then the menu appears. I hate that extra movement. O why o why cant they just have it like this " Gedit - File Edit View..." like on Macs.. :(

O well my only complaint. Other then that Unity Devs have clearly put forth more effort then the Gnome devs in regards to getting the main UI tweaked. Cudos to Ubuntu. 12.04 is very polished looking.

Cheers,
Joe

wojox
April 17th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Only only thing that bugs me is how the "File Edit View Etc. Etc." on the menu bar. You see the program title and have to hilight it then the menu appears. I hate that extra movement. O why o why cant they just have it like this " Gedit - File Edit View..." like on Macs.. :(

Use the HUD Joe. :p

cariboo
April 17th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I've been using Precise, since the toolchain upload, over all it's been a really good development cycle.

I'm getting ready for the QQ development release. :)

wolfen69
April 17th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I tested up until beta, then "everyday life" said I couldn't anymore. But I expect it to be just fine. As always. I havn't had a problem since 4.10 (warty warthog)

forrestcupp
April 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I tested up until beta, then "everyday life" said I couldn't anymore. But I expect it to be just fine. As always. I havn't had a problem since 4.10 (warty warthog)

I tried during Beta 1, and it was too buggy. But after Beta 2, it started getting a lot more solid.

Frogs Hair
April 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
This is my first beta experience , but I will be very busy on release day and that week so I decided to take the plunge. I have had one new bug and thats all and the fix came quickly .

zombifier25
April 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
You leave your computer unattended for like 3 days and you are greeted with like 300 updates.
Pretty excited, but I'm already on the Precise train so it won't be of much a different.

Dry Lips
April 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm actually NOT looking forward to the release of (K)ubuntu 12.04. It means I will have to:

a) finally get around to physically installing my new SSD.
b) making backups, exporting FF settings and bookmarks.
c) figuring out what programs I will have to reinstall. (It'll be quite a few).
d) then there was the issue of suddenly having two HDD's instead of one. :/
e) and finally there is my server which I've deliberately left in a virgin state because
I knew that 12.04 LTS was just around the corner.

All in all... Quite a bit of hard work I'm afraid. :wink:

BigSilly
April 17th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Been playing with the daily build today, just off a USB, but massively impressed with it all. It's very very fast, even just running live, and feels so complete and polished.

I'm going to wipe out two of my Linux installs for this when it's finished and released so I can have more space for it. :)

lykwydchykyn
April 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
It means I will finally be upgrading my wife's laptop, which I keep on LTS releases. But not until late May when the dust has settled a little. KDE 4.8 and LibreOffice 3.5 will be a big change!

My son only wanted to know if there was a new version of supertux. Sadly, no.

kaldor
April 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I am excited about it as well. Really hope this LTS will be as great as the last one. Thinking about dropping F16 for 12.04. May wait a month after just to make sure all bugs a smashed first.. hehe

It's extremely solid. I'd recommend just installing it now, even!

TheMTtakeover
April 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Excited for it, I have to say I prefer Gnome3 over Unity though, not that I dislike Unity just think Gnome 3 is revolutionary

alphacrucis2
April 18th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Just be aware that if you use NVIDIA, the latest blob that came into 12.04 is badly broken with some older NVIDIA cards.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4ODc

Bandit
April 18th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Just be aware that if you use NVIDIA, the latest blob that came into 12.04 is badly broken with some older NVIDIA cards.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4ODc

LOL as practice I wait until all the updates are complete when installing a new release before install the proprietory nvidia or ati drivers. Just incase someone forgot to include DKMS in the update.. :roll:

Triblaze
April 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Glad to hear it's coming along so well, I'll probably upgrade from 10.10 when it comes out. One thing I've grown to love though is Gnome's customization options, mainly different themes and icon sets. How is Unity in that regard?

dniMretsaM
April 18th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I'm actually NOT looking forward to the release of (K)ubuntu 12.04. It means I will have to:

a) finally get around to physically installing my new SSD.
b) making backups, exporting FF settings and bookmarks.
c) figuring out what programs I will have to reinstall. (It'll be quite a few).
d) then there was the issue of suddenly having two HDD's instead of one. :/
e) and finally there is my server which I've deliberately left in a virgin state because
I knew that 12.04 LTS was just around the corner.

All in all... Quite a bit of hard work I'm afraid. :wink:

Uh, well, good luck! I recommend using FF Sync. That means less exporting and importing. Might be a little easier.

vasa1
April 18th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Glad to hear it's coming along so well, I'll probably upgrade from 10.10 when it comes out. One thing I've grown to love though is Gnome's customization options, mainly different themes and icon sets. How is Unity in that regard?
Put 12.04 on a CD or USB and take it for a spin.

TheMTtakeover
April 18th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Just upgraded to 12.04. I have to say It runs very well. I also think Unity is much better now that it doesn't "hide" off of the screen. I much prefer it static at one point. Before on 11.10 I used gnome 3 shell over unity but I am going to give unity another round, I still may end up using Gnome 3, but Unity has certaintly improved.

Roasted
April 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I've been running it for a few weeks now. It's ran very decent with minimal headache. In fact, this is the first release that Unity has pried away my death grip from Gnome Shell.

A year ago, I was a Unity hater. Today, I'm really diggin it. :guitar:

Dry Lips
April 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Uh, well, good luck! I recommend using FF Sync. That means less exporting and importing. Might be a little easier.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into Firefox Sync! :)

cloyd
April 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'm super excited for the release. I think Unity really has begun to shine under this release. I'm using it >90% of the time now anyways.

The only thing is, is that I'm still getting system errors that bring up that prompt to report it. I used to get it ever 5 minutes, so only every few hours now, but I'm still concerned. Its getting better, but 10 days left and I'm still getting errors? Is this normal, is this happening to anyone else??? I'm using a generation 2 i5. Is this problem hardware related?

(This is not meant a help question, I don't need instructions to fix it, I just want to know if its happening to anyone else)

I get about one for every time I boot. If I let it gather the error information, I get another message that says, "This information has already been reported to the developers."

This is my play machine, and other than this one thing, it seems to be working just fine.

ELD
April 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I've been using it for a while now and it's pretty damn stable.

I have minor issues installing (distorted graphics on the initial live cd menu - just a good job i knew the first entry was boot from live cd...) but i'm sure it's just because of my dual graphics chips after the install woes are sorted (grub installing incorrectly - need to use the live image to download and run grub recovery after install) it runs really well. If i had been a bit smart and a little less trigger happy buying a laptop i knew might have incompatibilities it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure as time goes on and dual graphics are continued to be worked on it won't be an issue.

Erik1984
April 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I'm excited too, but I can wait. Quite happy with Kubuntu Oneiric as I have set it up now. Will look forward to KDE 4.8, I know it's already available through backports but I plan to wait a while till the official release of the Pangolin. Maybe even a few weeks after the official release.

xtremo
April 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I get about one for every time I boot. If I let it gather the error information, I get another message that says, "This information has already been reported to the developers."

This is my play machine, and other than this one thing, it seems to be working just fine.

I had it for a few weeks on both the desktop and laptop.....but it stopped about two days ago, so the anomaly seems to have been rectified for me.

Dragonbite
April 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
It's always fun to see the excitement and anticipation grow as we move closer and closer to ANY release of Ubuntu!

The down side of this is it makes it harder for me to stick with ONE distribution for any length of time... just when I settle in one, the excitement builds for another release and I'm right back where I was before! Yikes!

I'm definitely going to give a LiveUSB a try to verify everything will work out-of-the-box still.

I'm not hoping for too much with this release. Stability, speed and customizing capabilities are what I am most interested in at this point.

What feature/improvement are you most interested in seeing?!

sffvba[e0rt
April 18th, 2012, 04:41 PM
<snip>

Love the avatar... I was drinking from my Ubuntu Mug at work the whole day :D

cariboo
April 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM

What you are seeing is normal for a development release, apport reports every crash, no matter how small. There was an apport update today, I didn't look at the change log, but I assume it was a change to the configuration file to stop reporting every crash..

Erik1984
April 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
It's always fun to see the excitement and anticipation grow as we move closer and closer to ANY release of Ubuntu!

The down side of this is it makes it harder for me to stick with ONE distribution for any length of time... just when I settle in one, the excitement builds for another release and I'm right back where I was before! Yikes!

What feature/improvement are you most interested in seeing?!

So True. Actually I don't like reinstalling but any time a new version is released I simply can't resist after some time :p

Dragonbite
April 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I like your signature.
And your avatar ;)

BigSilly
April 18th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Ah nuts to this. I'm going to install it. See you in a bit. :D

Erik1984
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Ah nuts to this. I'm going to install it. See you in a bit. :D

Or not if it smokes your machine :p

Erik1984
April 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I like your signature.
And your avatar ;)

Like that Ubuntu mug of yours too. Although I prefer if people stick to their old and famous avatars :p they act as reference point and your skull avatar was pretty cool.

BigSilly
April 18th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Or not if it smokes your machine :p

Oh ye of little faith. :D

All installed, all good. No problems to report so far. Let's see how we go, but first impressions are very very favourable.

Shazaam
April 19th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Apport popups stopped after I updated today. The only thing I have had a problem with is lightdm flaking out after nvidia or xorg updates. A reboot usually takes care of it.
I'm highly impressed with kubuntu-desktop. Not a mess as in the past. Once Precise final lands I am going to wipe my test partition and do a full Kubuntu install. This from a dyed-in-the-wool Gnome fan. Still going to hang on to my Lucid install as backup though.

BigCityCat
April 19th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Been using it for a couple weeks. I really don't use Unity but it is better. Still I hate the launcher. I could deal with it if it could be resized vertically and detached from the panel. The panel is a little better now. Compiz does not render as good as Mutter. The corners of Metacity in Unity are edgy. But in Gnome shell they are smooth. Do not like the global menu but that can be removed easily enough. The dash on the other hand is better than shell imho and is much improved.

Artemis3
April 19th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Users of nvidia 6xxx, 7xxx and g80 gpus such as 8800GTS/GTX should NOT upgrade, there is a serious issue with the nvidia driver 295.40, this affects all distributions and is not Ubuntu related.

We hope nvidia releases an update asap. Unfortunately nvidia-current in precise is pointing to this bugged driver. If you don't care for 3d i suppose you could also keep nouveou (ie. don't install the nvidia restricted driver).

Those with newer gpus are apparently not affected, ymmv...

See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1959416

sffvba[e0rt
April 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I "adopted" an ISO for testing purposes... got the WUBI-64 bit to test (seeing a I have a Windows machine to test it on). First test was to actually install 11.10 and then upgrade. Been stuck on that step for a while now because it seems WUBI for 11.10 not that good (so I haven't even gotten around to actually testing what I am supposed to be testing :/)

Oh well :) - What ever it takes to make 12.04 awesome for all :guitar:

Primefalcon
April 19th, 2012, 07:57 AM
hmm already using it :guitar: and it's super nice!

btw anyone interested in tring it... it does seem prett super stable so why not just alt alt+f2

and type in
update-manager -d now?

sffvba[e0rt
April 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Awesome... did a 11.10 64-bit WUBI install to test it when upgrading to 12.04... went without a hitch!!

forrestcupp
April 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I just got offered a Partial Upgrade in Precise. I thought we'd be past the point of getting those by now.

For anyone testing out the beta and you don't know, Never accept a Partial Upgrade! It's better to wait a day, let them sort the package updates out, and try again.

TeamRocket1233c
April 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think it's going to be released in literally a week now. 7 days 'till Ubuntu 12.04's final release! :)

Frogs Hair
April 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I just got offered a Partial Upgrade in Precise. I thought we'd be past the point of getting those by now.

For anyone testing out the beta and you don't know, Never accept a Partial Upgrade! It's better to wait a day, let them sort the package updates out, and try again.

I have partial upgrade pending for the Gnome Shell and that's all so far today .

dniMretsaM
April 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Only one week left! I think it's time for the Dance Of Joy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPg5LjGYz8)

Version Dependency
April 19th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Always great fun running the development releases and see them mature into the finished product. Of course, then it's time to upgrade to the NEXT development release and the vicious cycle continues.
:lolflag:

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 01:50 AM
To those interested how it is going in preparations for the big release check out http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/214/builds where the ISO's are being put through there paces in testing... interesting to see how they currently fair :)

mr-woof
April 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Something I've wanted to know is this, if I were to be running the beta version of 12.04 now, upgrading daily and then picked up the upgrades on release day, is that it then, would I be running the full lts version?

/Stupid question :)

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Something I've wanted to know is this, if I were to be running the beta version of 12.04 now, upgrading daily and then picked up the upgrades on release day, is that it then, would I be running the full lts version?

Yup!

PS - There is always the chance however that something goes a little wonky and if something doesn't work like I expect it I am always wondering if a clean install from the final release would have fixed it for me... most probably not but still...

mr-woof
April 20th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Cheers not found, I'm very tempted to upgrade early now..... :)

CharlesA
April 20th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cheers not found, I'm very tempted to upgrade early now..... :)
It's ok to give into temptation but only if you have a good backup. ;)

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM

For anyone testing out the beta and you don't know, Never accept a Partial Upgrade! It's better to wait a day, let them sort the package updates out, and try again.After waiting a couple of days, I ended up investigating things. This was one time when it was actually ok to do the partial upgrade. Just don't ever do it unless you've investigated it and you know it's ok.

It's not a stupid question. That's a question most of us who are interested in pre-releases have asked at one point or another.

MBybee
April 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm planning to do a full install, probably one week after official release.

Then, my 12.04 daily/beta VM will get shut down until it's time to resurrect it as the 12.10 daily/beta VM :)

I went all out for this one, and even ordered a fancy USB drive from the canonical store, along with my traditional LTS hat :)

mr-woof
April 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys, I'll probably leave it until the official release I suppose it could go balls up :)

TheGuyWithTheFace
April 20th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm a bit torn... on one hand, I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna try precise Pangolin, but then I'll lose my programs and customization s and such on my oneric ocelot, right?

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I'm a bit torn... on one hand, I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna try precise Pangolin, but then I'll lose my programs and customization s and such on my oneric ocelot, right?

Not if you do an upgrade.

CharlesA
April 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Not if you do an upgrade.

Indeed.

I cannot stress the importance of having a good backup tho.

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM
http://geschonneck.com/images/gonna_blow.jpg

tmaranets
April 20th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I am getting very excited about the release of Pangolin. I can't wait to see what new stuff Ubuntu has to offer in its latest version. I have only got a glimpse of 12.04 because I tried it in a virtual machine.

dwhite
April 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
With my last update the overlay scrollbars are working!!!! great

(they used to disappear when i'd try to move my cursor over them)

Jay Car
April 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Since the Badger, I've always tried the newest versions when they'd reach beta. Natty was my first experience trying an alpha...didn't stick with it very long. So when Natty was released I installed it on a new computer and struggled with it, a lot. The words "OMG! What have they done to my 'buntu???!!!" were echoing off the walls here.

Made lots of sad faces, grumbled and whined in the cafe forums a few times.

Then I got over it.

I've been using Precise since December. Had to reinstall it a couple of times, but have had no problems that I didn't cause myself. :)

This last install has been absolutely solid, I love it! It's also nice that it'll be supported for 5 years.

But what I've enjoyed most of all has been seeing the Ubuntu+1 forum blossom into such an amazing place, and then to see it officially acknowledged by Canonical.

Makes me smile.

:)

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 11:27 PM
but what i've enjoyed most of all has been seeing the ubuntu+1 forum blossom into such an amazing place, and then to see it officially acknowledged by canonical.

Makes me smile.

:)

+1

MBybee
April 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM

What I usually do is keep my home directory separate (or backed up), which preserves the majority of your config.
Then, back up your package list and keep the ones you want to install on the new build.

Should get you 80-90% of the way there.

Bandit
April 21st, 2012, 12:42 AM
LOL at the Back Up comic..
I had to save a copy of that.

If I had a back up I would install 12.04 now..

wolfen69
April 21st, 2012, 04:03 AM
What I usually do is keep my home directory separate (or backed up), which preserves the majority of your config.

I can understand preserving your home folder, but for me personally, I like to keep my files and config files like mozilla, thunderbird, etc. But I delete gnome related config files and config files of things I don't use much because things change and there is less problems going to a new version. But that's just me, I always play safe it safe than sorry.

But 12.04 is looking really good so far!

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Since the Badger, I've always tried the newest versions when they'd reach beta.Badgers? BADGERS? We don't need no stinking BADGERS!

I can understand preserving your home folder, but for me personally, I like to keep my files and config files like mozilla, thunderbird, etc. But I delete gnome related config files and config files of things I don't use much because things change and there is less problems going to a new version. But that's just me, I always play safe it safe than sorry.
That's a good thing to do. Although I've never had any problems, I always wonder if I'm missing out on some changes because of old settings carrying over.

sffvba[e0rt
April 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
So few days to go now... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13877196/wheee.gif

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
So few days to go now... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13877196/wheee.gif

I'm sure when I log on to the forums on Thursday morning one of the very frequently asked questions that I'll see will be:

What time will it be released?. ](*,)

sffvba[e0rt
April 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm sure when I log on to the forums on Thursday morning one of the very frequently asked questions that I'll see will be:

What time will it be released?. ](*,)

That and a number of false reports that it is out... business as usual :)

keithpeter
April 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM

I might be wrong here, but I think the distribution upgrade using software update is from 10.04 to 12.04 only, so LTS to LTS.

I tested the Live CD method for upgrading from 11.04 to 12.04 - the option on the 12.04 Live CD installer to upgrade the ubuntu rather than do a clean install. It worked, but there were issues with the configuration files. See

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11815098&postcount=20

and the whole thread after that post.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1951195&page=2

Basically I had to reinstall anything that is not on a Live CD (logical enough).

Can you keep your 11.10 install and have another partition for 12.04? Then copy your settings over one by one?

forrestcupp
April 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
I might be wrong here, but I think the distribution upgrade using software update is from 10.04 to 12.04 only, so LTS to LTS.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't true. update-manager -d will upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 and keep your settings.

keithpeter
April 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this isn't true. update-manager -d will upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 and keep your settings.

You are probably right on that, it would be very odd not to allow an upgrade path from the last version of Ubuntu.

Cheers

vasa1
April 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Suppose I want to try 12.04 from a pen-drive now? Where do I get it from? I'll be using Transmission so I'd like the torrent link. This site just lists betas:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/

And can anyone confirm if the LibreOffice package is 3.5.2 and not 3.5.1?

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
The current development daily build can be found at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/20120421/, no torrent links.

Yes, LibreOffice is at version 3.5.2.

neu5eeCh
April 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Well, it is +- 10 days before the release of the Pangolin into the wild... About time to start getting very excited me thinks ;)

Wait till y'all get a load of the new "dark from dark" and "white from white" menu colors. I'm just gonna' save y'all the trouble. It's not a bug. It's intentional. Half of you are gonna' love it, and it's gonna' give the other half just one more reason to pinpoint Unity as the first of Armageddon's seven seals.

Here's the "bug":

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/925895

Let the fireworks begin. :popcorn:

vasa1
April 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
The current development daily build can be found at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/20120421/, no torrent links.

Yes, LibreOffice is at version 3.5.2.

Will I be able to use UNetbootin or the built-in USB creator to make a live USB with it?

And have the updates slowed down or are they still 100s of MBs per day?

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Will I be able to use UNetbootin or the built-in USB creator to make a live USB with it?

And have the updates slowed down or are they still 100s of MBs per day?

Yes, I've installed using live USB and have another to do shortly. Updates are very few now but how many you get will of course depend on what you install.

vasa1
April 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, I've installed using live USB and have another to do shortly. Updates are very few now but how many you get will of course depend on what you install.
Okay, and thanks! But what does "depend on what you install" mean?

PaulW2U
April 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Okay, and thanks! But what does "depend on what you install" mean?

What I meant was, the more you install, the more there is that can be updated. ;)

vasa1
April 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
What I meant was, the more you install, the more there is that can be updated. ;)
Very true. Thanks!

Jay Car
April 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Badgers? BADGERS? We don't need no stinking BADGERS!

+1 :lolflag:

phidia
April 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
For me this release has been one of the most trouble free. I started trying it @ beta 1. Grateful for how much has been done to pull ubuntu into the current shape it's in.

Hardware: Sony Vaio VPCEB16FX

LillyDragon
April 22nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
It's been at least a month since I last posted here, but ah well here I am posting regardless. =P

Anyway, I was so excited about the next release that I just installed beta 2 to get a head start on customizing the desktop environment the way I like...and reinstalling all of my favorite programs! Despite that rather minor setback, I'm happy my laptop's speakers and SD card slot are finally working thanks to the new 3.0x kernel. ^_^ Now I just have to figure out why the brightness controls aren't doing anything, because it's super bright right now!

Gnome 3's fall-back session was actually working just fine the other day, so I was pretty happy with it! Until a massive update broke workspace switching and now window borders don't exist. Not wanting to put up with Gnome 3's default environment or Unity's, its inflexible ripoff, I just went with Xfce. So far it's proven itself far more flexible than Gnome 2! (http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t410/johnluke728/XubuntuScreenshot.png) I am in love with and the fact that it's lighter than the aforementioned makes the deal that much sweeter. Now all I have to do is sweat through the next set of updates and reinstall all my apps. ^^'

tl;dr, I'm on the bandwagon already and loving it! Can't wait for that final version number to kick in this 26th and make things feel more official.

Wait, it was like that for some time? If so, then I got lucky! Only had to deal with an 450MB update just once, and that was two days ago. I was quite relieved the next one after that was only 27MBs, and right now I don't have anything to update at all.

ubuntu27
April 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM

To customize Ubuntu 12.04, you will have to install MyUnity which is in the repository. ;)

vasa1
April 23rd, 2012, 01:39 AM

Downloaded it and put in on a pendrive. Great stuff. Will do the actual install soon!

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2012, 01:42 AM
Hrm, would it be a good idea to download the daily server iso and then just zsync it on release day?

craig10x
April 23rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
curious...what does zsynch mean?

i have been running a daily iso of the final beta since about a week after it was released...i thought you just do the updates right up to release date and then it becomes the final automatically...

Or is there something else one needs to do?

CharlesA
April 23rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
curious...what does zsynch mean?

i have been running a daily iso of the final beta since about a week after it was released...i thought you just do the updates right up to release date and then it becomes the final automatically...

Or is there something else one needs to do?

It is sort of like rsync.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ZsyncCdImage

As for upgrading, you will be upgraded automagically. :)

craig10x
April 23rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
I like that expression "automagically" :D
Thanks ;)

thenixedreport
April 23rd, 2012, 02:07 AM
I'm liking this release more and more. My needs are pretty much satisfied with 12.04. I've thought about it, and I've made up my mind. I'll definitely stick with this release for the long haul. Any other OS testing can be done via virtual machine. :D

vasa1
April 23rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Installed successfully as a "clean" install so that I can get a better idea of the new and shiny stuff.

A big thank you to Canonical and of course to all the folks @ ubuntuforums.org who promptly and patiently answer and guide us :D

ade234uk
April 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Was really put off by Unity when it first released. Hated absolutely everything about it.

Just over a week ago I download 12.04 beta 2, installed no issues, and actually love it now.

So many improvements. I'm excited about Ubuntu again.

But most importantly I can resize the dock on the left hand side.

TeamRocket1233c
April 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
3 days! :)

TeamRocket1233c
April 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
3 days!

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Updates are finally becoming less and less. I haven't updated for a couple of days, and today, they were only 14MB.

Was really put off by Unity when it first released. Hated absolutely everything about it.

Just over a week ago I download 12.04 beta 2, installed no issues, and actually love it now.
I really want to like Unity, but I just can't. When I upgraded a while back, I was using Gnome Shell, so I never even saw the Unity in 12.04. A few days ago, I decided to check it out. I still don't like it.

But that's just my preference. A lot of people do like it.

TeamRocket1233c
April 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry 'bout the duplicate posts.

Docaltmed
April 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Updates are finally becoming less and less. I haven't updated for a couple of days, and today, they were only 14MB.

I really want to like Unity, but I just can't. When I upgraded a while back, I was using Gnome Shell, so I never even saw the Unity in 12.04. A few days ago, I decided to check it out. I still don't like it.

I kinda sorta maybe agree. Unity is pretty cool on 12.04, and there's a lot I like about it, but I just seem to prefer gnome shell slightly more.

I think the kicker for me is how notifications are handled. I like the unobtrusive, bottom-of-the-screen notifier that I can actually interact with in Gnome shell. The Unity notifier is always in the way, and I can't click on it to tell it to shut up, or respond to a message.

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
I kinda sorta maybe agree. Unity is pretty cool on 12.04, and there's a lot I like about it, but I just seem to prefer gnome shell slightly more.

I think the kicker for me is how notifications are handled. I like the unobtrusive, bottom-of-the-screen notifier that I can actually interact with in Gnome shell. The Unity notifier is always in the way, and I can't click on it to tell it to shut up, or respond to a message.

There are a few things about Gnome-shell that I prefer, but I am looking forward to giving the latest Unity a try.

With 12.04, is it going to be just as easy to run Unity and Gnome-shell on the same box? They aren't incompatible (yet), are they?

EDIT: Coffee cups of the forums, unite!

sffvba[e0rt
April 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Nice review :) - Clicky (http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18887/ubuntu-12-04-review-las-s21e06/)

ade234uk
April 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

And that's the good thing about Linux. Everybody has a choice.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
With 12.04, is it going to be just as easy to run Unity and Gnome-shell on the same box? They aren't incompatible (yet), are they?

EDIT: Coffee cups of the forums, unite!Yeah, it's not like it was with 11.04. Everything is based on Gnome3 now, so it comes with Unity, but it's real easy to install and use Gnome Shell.

Off topic: How can someone who didn't use Ubuntu be an Ubuntu LoCo team owner? :)

And that's the good thing about Linux. Everybody has a choice.
Exactly.

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
Off topic: How can someone who didn't use Ubuntu be an Ubuntu LoCo team owner? :)

Who says I "didn't use Ubuntu"? I just said I wanted to try the latest Unity, but that doesn't mean I haven't used Unity (and be extension, Ubuntu) previously.

In 11.10 I had Unity, Gnome-shell and Cinnamon installed in part because it was easy. I hopped between Unity and Gnome-shell to see which one I prefer (unfortunately they both have good and not-so-good parts). I've also hopped around other distributions so even I never quite know what I'm running ;)

Mathor
April 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Boring. Can't wait to ditch this for Quantal Quetzal soon.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Who says I "didn't use Ubuntu"? I just said I wanted to try the latest Unity, but that doesn't mean I haven't used Unity (and be extension, Ubuntu) previously.

In 11.10 I had Unity, Gnome-shell and Cinnamon installed in part because it was easy. I hopped between Unity and Gnome-shell to see which one I prefer (unfortunately they both have good and not-so-good parts). I've also hopped around other distributions so even I never quite know what I'm running ;)

I thought in another thread you talked about not using Ubuntu for a long time. I know you obviously used to use it. ;)

Dragonbite
April 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I thought in another thread you talked about not using Ubuntu for a long time. I know you obviously used to use it. ;)

Ahh... but "long" to a distro-hopper can mean a LOT of things?! :lolflag:

lykwydchykyn
April 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Decided to go ahead and "pangolicize" my laptop today. I don't expect to see much difference, since I backport a lot of stuff using apt-src, and run awesome wm; still, it'll be nice to see how the hardware likes the new kernel.

The new unity is looking better, though. Maybe if I get bored with awesome I'll try it next.

graabein
April 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
The clean install with an existing /home partition of beta 2 bricked my machine temporarily. I didn't bother bug tracking, I'm just waiting for the final release to try again. The work laptop running 10.04 LTS in a virtual machine works in the mean time.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about the release also. I'll either run xmonad or GNOME Shell I think. Depends on the performance. I want no part of Unity. Gonna miss the wobbly windows and the spinning desktop cube though. Good times.

dniMretsaM
April 23rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Nice review :) - Clicky (http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/18887/ubuntu-12-04-review-las-s21e06/)

That's a pretty good review (LAS has some good stuff). Onboard looks really nice.

Erik1984
April 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
There are a few things about Gnome-shell that I prefer, but I am looking forward to giving the latest Unity a try.

EDIT: Coffee cups of the forums, unite!

Hooray for Coffee (Cups). Now it's time for beer however :P

Bandit
April 24th, 2012, 01:22 AM

So many improvements. I'm excited about Ubuntu again.

But most importantly I can resize the dock on the left hand side.

And it can be set to autohide++ :guitar:

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Very close now... :guitar:

73ckn797
April 25th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Installed 12.04 Beta on a second drive. Works great and I am using Gnome Classic. The only issue is I can no longer view and download secured PDF files using Adobe Reader required for my work in 12.04. I can do it in 10.04 so will stick with it until the PDF document can be viewed and downloaded.

kevdog
April 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
How much I wish when attempting to try new versions and other distros I could make a nandroid backup for my current install just as I do with a rooted Android phone. That would be so much more efficient for restoring borked installs quickly.

colostarr
April 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
One more day to 12.04 - yes? :guitar:

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
One more day to 12.04 - yes? :guitar:

Yes :guitar:

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
one more day to prep the system! :)

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Ubuntu trended on G+ right after Mark unveiled 12.10 name... would hope that we could get it to trend there again (and several other social media sites) tomorrow for the release.

aykoola
April 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hey!

What time is it coming out tomorrow, does anyone know?

CharlesA
April 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Hey!

"When it is ready."

sffvba[e0rt
April 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Spoiler and a bit of cheating I know... but if you go to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/216/builds you can see the ISO's which have been marked as ready... these will not change come tomorrow ;)

vasa1
April 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM
"When it is ready."

= When it's soup (http://askubuntu.com/questions/65476/at-what-time-will-the-upcoming-ubuntu-release-be-made-available)

LillyDragon
April 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Spoilers, maybe, but that's not cheating methinks; using a beta release for everyday things just because I couldn't wait anymore is cheating. :P Guess you could say I had my share of beans half-baked in that sense. *bricked for lame pun*

Anyway, I didn't think tomorrow would ever get here, w00t! Still glad I nabbed beta 2, though, it's nice having everything setup the way I like and Xfce's behavior all figured out, right before release day. ^^

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hey!

At 3:00am. They're not letting us know which time zone, though. :)

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
At 3:00am. They're not letting us know which time zone, though. :)

Simple solution: stay awake for ALL of 'em! :guitar:

aykoola
April 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Well, then it should be ready in the morning when i wake up :) :)

ikt
April 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM

Hoping to do all that in one day with 12.04!

http://ikt.id.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/omgtorrents.png

Got my phone set to start playing some loud music soon as that announce comes through :)

azangru
April 25th, 2012, 06:05 PM
What, only one day to go and still no teaser on the ubuntu.com site? No "Ubuntu 12.04 is coming"? No "hold on to your seats and expect the greatest Ubuntu release ever"? Just "testing, testing"?

Bo-ring!

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Looks like the articles are coming out:

10 features Ubuntu 12.04 will bring to the table (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-features-ubuntu-1204-will-bring-to-the-table/3191)
Ubuntu 12.04 is almost here (April 26, 2012). Canonical has some serious plans for its flagship platform, and Precise Pangolin has both some big changes and some minor changes that will make a huge difference in how people feel about Unity and the Linux desktop in general. Although some of the major changes won’t be immediately apparent, some of the minor ones will be quickly evident and worth examining.

Let’s take a look at 10 of the features and changes I believe will make a big impact on the way users view Ubuntu.The list ends up to be
HUD
New privacy tool
Launchbar
Change to Unity Dash
Quicklists
Video lens
Rythmbox default
MyUnity
Mono-free
Trackpad support
You can follow the link (click the title) to read the details on these items.

aykoola
April 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM
i completely agree!

The "brace yourselves" warning should be visible 7 days ago at least. The only thing i saw was a small countdown banner on OMGubuntu

Erik1984
April 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hoping to do all that in one day with 12.04!

http://ikt.id.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/omgtorrents.png

Got my phone set to start playing some loud music soon as that announce comes through :)

Nice. I'm aiming for a share ratio of 100 for the precise torrents. (not in one day mind you :P)

Erik1984
April 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.stationbay.com/images/P/CD1331.jpg

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
What, only one day to go and still no teaser on the ubuntu.com site? No "Ubuntu 12.04 is coming"? No "hold on to your seats and expect the greatest Ubuntu release ever"? Just "testing, testing"?

Bo-ring!

Good point. It seems like they used to have countdowns in the past.

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.stationbay.com/images/P/CD1331.jpg

I should put that up at work as one of those inspirational posters!!

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
If past experience holds true, you might as well upgrade today (since there will be minimal changes between now and release), or else wait a few days; because the servers will be slower than a loris in a gravity well tomorrow.

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 08:09 PM
because the servers will be slower than a loris in a gravity well tomorrow.

That sounds like my internet connection on a REGULAR day! :lolflag:

Maybe I'll bring my regular laptop to work and set it up to download using the public wi-fi (providing I remember to grab it before I head home!)

CharlesA
April 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Maybe I'll bring my regular laptop to work and set it up to download using the public wi-fi (providing I remember to grab it before I head home!)

You have public wifi at work? Hope it's secured. :p

OT: I'll be waiting a few weeks before downloading Precise and reinstalling my server.

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM
You have public wifi at work? Hope it's secured. :p

OT: I'll be waiting a few weeks before downloading Precise and reinstalling my server.

We have a conference room for other organizations to come and use. Most of the time it is by upper financial mucky-mucks and corporate insurance agents and lawyers involved in million-dollar investment closings so it isn't quite like the wild-wild-west.

thenixedreport
April 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I'm just glad I have it installed already so I don't have struggle with downloading an ISO. :D

dniMretsaM
April 25th, 2012, 09:23 PM
If past experience holds true, you might as well upgrade today (since there will be minimal changes between now and release), or else wait a few days; because the servers will be slower than a loris in a gravity well tomorrow.

This is why I prefer torrents.:guitar:

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
This is why I prefer torrents.:guitar:

Well, yeah, if you update via CD; I was thinking APT.

dniMretsaM
April 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Well, yeah, if you update via CD; I was thinking APT.

Oh, yeah. Very true. My bad for misunderstanding.

sffvba[e0rt
April 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Finally have some time to browse the forum... happy release day all (just got the iso and seeding like a mad man) :)

MasterNetra
April 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM
lol Been on it sense Beta 2 released, tried in alpha though. Using Gnome Classic though not Unity.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 in all it's Unity glory. I LOVE it!! Haven't themed (other than wallpaper). I've clean installed on my HP Pavilion, ditching Windows in the process. Added my favorite apps and tweaked the resources.list a bit. I'm now 100% Ubuntu. A wonderful Ubuntu release.

No more Windows, no regrets. ;)

Johnny3
April 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Been using 12.04 for a little more than 2 or 3 months and it is a winner to me I like Unity too. Just wish it came with K3B I like it the best. It is much much better than widows 8 is. Just my opinion. I don't like the tablets my eye need a big monitor. Thank you all for all the hard work.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65+++ and still ticking.

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 64-Bit work great on my laptop, except that I am forced to use a slower router, due to a bug in 11.10 (This bug is not in 11.04);

Is it a good idea to upgrade? Will I still have a great compatibility, or shoud I wait?

Thanks!

Dragonbite
April 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 64-Bit work great on my laptop, except that I am forced to use a slower router, due to a bug in 11.10 (This bug is not in 11.04);

Is it a good idea to upgrade? Will I still have a great compatibility, or shoud I wait?

Thanks!

Would trying a LiveCD/LiveUSB give you your answers?

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'm downloading, right now (3 hours remaining XD). Wonder how it'll go and if I do the best choice!

I'm pretty excited that the laptop batteries last longer! :D

Gyokuro
April 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm downloading, right now (3 hours remaining XD). Wonder how it'll go and if I do the best choice!

I'm pretty excited that the laptop batteries last longer! :D

Maybe you should try to use torrents - my ratio for 12.04 is already at 2.8+ for uploading

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I'm not used to torrents; I could, but I downloaded like 3 torrents in my life. ^^"

I can wait the 3 hours, I won't upgrade righ now anyways. ;)

Uncle Spellbinder
April 26th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Lucky I have some decent internet speed. I downloaded 12.04 in less than 8 minutes. :P

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Maybe I should have downloaded it on another computer. XD
My internet speed on Ubuntu is so-so, I hope the bug is fixed in 12.04, so it could be faster!

BigSilly
April 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
What happened to the new log in sound? I thought it was hitting for 12.04.

Mathor
April 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
What happened to the new log in sound? I thought it was hitting for 12.04.

Yeah, and I liked the one they picked for that too!

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM
What?
They've changed it? Got to hear it (Well, 11.04 and 11.10 was good)!

If I don't like it (I don't see why I would hate it), I can change it. ;)

This one?
http://www.tuxtrix.com/2012/02/ubuntu-1204-is-getting-new-login-sound.html

Not bad. Well, after hearing the 4 different sounds, this is definitely the best!

Erik1984
April 26th, 2012, 08:34 PM
After the release there's also a little sadness because the pre-release excitement is over. Think I suffer from a slight post release dip ;)

BigSilly
April 26th, 2012, 08:37 PM
What?
They've changed it? Got to hear it (Well, 11.04 and 11.10 was good)!

If I don't like it (I don't see why I would hate it), I can change it. ;)

This one?
http://www.tuxtrix.com/2012/02/ubuntu-1204-is-getting-new-login-sound.html

Not bad. Well, after hearing the 4 different sounds, this is definitely the best!

Yes that one. But they didn't put it in!

GeneralZod
April 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Have any KMail users upgraded to this from 11.04 or earlier? Apparently, the KMail -> KMail2 migration in 11.10 was extremely buggy, and I'd like to know if it has improved in 12.04. Cheers! :)

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Yes that one. But they didn't put it in!

You mean.. it was chosen, but the older one from 11.10 is still there? ^^"

I don't quite understand, sorry. ^^"

Duncan J Murray
April 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Has anyone had much experience with fallback/classic mode?

I'm currently on 10.04, and to be honest, quite happy here! I'll probably install 12.04 to a USB and give it a whirl, but I'll be surprised if it works as well as 10.04 on my 8.5 yr old laptop!

D

CharlesA
April 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Classic mode is pretty close to what it was in 10.04.

GrouchyGaijin
April 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM
so how do you launch gedit or other programs from the HUD?
When I type gedit I get choices like run sudo apt get or configure network settings.

CharlesA
April 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM
so how do you launch gedit or other programs from the HUD?
When I type gedit I get choices like run sudo apt get or configure network settings.
Click dash home and type in gedit.

It shows "text editor" for me.

azangru
April 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM
By the way, does anybody know how often they update the iso? Will it remain the same till Ubuntu 12.04.1 or will Canonical update it more frequently?

GrouchyGaijin
April 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Click dash home and type in gedit.

It shows "text editor" for me.

Dou! I was thinking the HUD (the thing that comes up when you press the alt button) was for launching programs as well as a replacement for menus within programs.

GameX2
April 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I remember when I didn't knew that long-term-support release existed; everytime I read "I'm using Ubuntu 10.04", I was thinking "Man, that's old, why are you still using 10.04?" :mrgreen:

Glad 12.04 is a LTS release! :)

craig10x
April 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I just re-installed ubuntu 12.04....on my beta2 install, it listed the gnome start up sound in the menu which was unchecked...when i checked it i got the "jungle drum sound"...

On my re-install of the final release iso, gnome start up sound is not listed on the start up applications drop down...if i wanted to add it to my start up application drop down (so that i can check the box and make the sound come on) what should i enter into that start up window (using the "add" button)...?

EchoTech
April 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
If you see any of the bits from my torrent seed, say hello.

Bandit
April 27th, 2012, 12:52 AM
If you see any of the bits from my torrent seed, say hello.

I am seeding away also.. :guitar:

GameX2
April 27th, 2012, 01:23 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 right now, freshly installed! :D

First surprise recovery mode work (Was not booting at all on 11.10) ! :O

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I was running 12.04 on an external drive, but now it's time to download it and install it properly on my main laptop. Ubuntu is money.

GameX2
April 27th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Yess!

Just when I first started 12.04, I was like "What the crap? Why am I in 1024x768, and my luminosity buttons doesn't work? It DID worked on the LiveCD!"

Installed the updates, UBUNTU POWERRR ! :D

sports fan Matt
April 27th, 2012, 04:41 AM
It's been a long while-installing 12.04 as we speak. Happy it's supported for 5 years...Matt

Bandit
April 27th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Seems everyone is downloading/installing away.. Just got it on my main linux box now and installing updates. So far very impressed..

Good job to the devs :)

djcobra
April 27th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Hi all!

I'm currently running Xubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) Normal release... I was wondering if it was safe to just upgrade to 12.04 LTS via the Update Manager? or should I just download it directly from Xubuntu? Also would I lose all my current settings? I don't want to re-install all the programs again and adjusting scripts etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hi all!

I'm currently running Xubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) Normal release... I was wondering if it was safe to just upgrade to 12.04 LTS via the Update Manager?
Fresh installs are usually safer, but many peole have upgraded without issue. I personally backup all my stuff that's important, and just go for it.

CharlesA
April 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Fresh installs are usually safer, but many peole have upgraded without issue. I personally backup all my stuff that's important, and just go for it.
Heh yeah. I'm tempted to try an upgrade on my web development box, but I've got a feeling I'll just build it from scratch again.

Unity is pretty nice tbh.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Heh yeah. I'm tempted to try an upgrade on my web development box, but I've got a feeling I'll just build it from scratch again.

Unity is pretty nice tbh.

I was tempted to do the "upgrade routine", but I've learned over the years not to tempt fate. If clean installs work, stay with it. But I'm talking about leaving /home, but removing all traces of gnome and general BS. I think it's OK to leave .mozilla or .thunderbird, but if you leave all config files, you might be sorry. What the heck do I know? I'm just the town idiot.

cariboo
April 27th, 2012, 06:26 AM

I just upgraded from Precise to Quantal, it went flawlessly :p, mind you there were only 12 packages to upgrade.

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu quantal (development branch)"

CharlesA
April 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I was tempted to do the "upgrade routine", but I've learned over the years not to tempt fate. If clean installs work, stay with it. But I'm talking about leaving /home, but removing all traces of gnome and general BS. I think it's OK to leave .mozilla or .thunderbird, but if you leave all config files, you might be sorry. What the heck do I know? I'm just the town idiot.

Heh. I think the only thing I have firefox running is a couple bookmarks, so nothing major is lost.

I'd be more concerned with having to reconfigure mysql/apache/samba. :)

I just upgraded from Precise to Quantal, it went flawlessly :p, mind you there were only 12 packages to upgrade.

cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=quantal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu quantal (development branch)"

Show off! :p

aura7
April 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I installed it just yesterday... after downloading it from one of the mirrors.

Works great. The best part was it downloaded all media packages from the internet during the install part so I don't have to download additional codecs.

Wireless Drivers also got installed on the fly.

carl4926
April 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Installed yesterday on Eeepc and it is great.
All the pre-release versions failed during install process. Bugs reported. So it looks like it got fixed.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Heh. I think the only thing I have firefox running is a couple bookmarks, so nothing major is lost.

My .mozilla file has years of speed dial, bookmarks, custom stuff. But guess what? My life life would go on without it. Sometimes I think we're too dependant on this stuff. But my life would be far from over if I lost my laptop and android phone. Others, I worry about.

cbennett926
April 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Only complaint about it is the lack of dodging windows for the launcher :'(

illopos
April 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I am currently trying 12.04 live. I am migrating from 10.04 and new to unity interface but I am find it very interesting and useful. However, I am worried about performance. Applications (specially firefox) are freezing and there is significant lag at times. I am also not very pleased with the battery performance.

I am wondering if the experience is better when 12.04 is installed instead of running live and if performance is better in 2D, including battery usage. Is there any way I can try 2D before installing?

My PC: Dell studio 1535, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB ram, ATI 3500 radeon graphics card (I haven't installed any drivers for it yet).

Bandit
April 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM
My only complain so far is that GIMPs filemenus were put up on the top bar instead of being left attached to the program its self like they did in the past with Unity. This must have just been an over sight.

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I am currently trying 12.04 live. I am migrating from 10.04 and new to unity interface but I am find it very interesting and useful. However, I am worried about performance. Applications (specially firefox) are freezing and there is significant lag at times. I am also not very pleased with the battery performance.

I am wondering if the experience is better when 12.04 is installed instead of running live and if performance is better in 2D, including battery usage. Is there any way I can try 2D before installing?

My PC: Dell studio 1535, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB ram, ATI 3500 radeon graphics card (I haven't installed any drivers for it yet).

Do a clean install instead of "upgrading".

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 07:56 AM
My only complain so far is that GIMPs filemenus were put up on the top bar instead of being left attached to the program its self like they did in the past with Unity. This must have just been an over sight.

Stop the presses, the world has gone mad.......

KBD47
April 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Much more impressed with Precise than I thought I would be. I like the classic desktop so I installed gnome-panel and tweaked it a bit. Everything feels solid and polished. Only issue I've run into is that the repos are acting up a bit tonight, couldn't download soundconverter or deluge from the software center, kept asking me for the Ubuntu cd. 5 years support is very cool :-)
KBD47

Tombgeek
April 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
So far I'm actually impressed with Ubuntu 12.04. I haven't installed it yet (running it live from a USB) but so far it seems every problem I've had with Unity has been fixed. Everything works smoothly. I'm going to try out Xubuntu 12.04 next. :D

CharlesA
April 27th, 2012, 02:18 PM
My .mozilla file has years of speed dial, bookmarks, custom stuff. But guess what? My life life would go on without it. Sometimes I think we're too dependant on this stuff. But my life would be far from over if I lost my laptop and android phone. Others, I worry about.

I always say that after I reinstall and go "Oh, I forgot my firefox/thunderbird profile."

I have a checklist now. :lolflag:

FatFrog
April 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'm all backed up and ready to start from scratch... I'm sure my wife will miss me this weekend, but she'll get over it.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Can you copy those config files to your /home directory?

I forgot about the Gimp menus. When I tried it in Unity it ran in the Global Menu bar but my screen isn't big enough so I could not get to far right menus. So I switched to Gnome-shell and the menus, being attached to the Window, could be made long enough to see it all.

Bandit
April 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I forgot about the Gimp menus. When I tried it in Unity it ran in the Global Menu bar but my screen isn't big enough so I could not get to far right menus. So I switched to Gnome-shell and the menus, being attached to the Window, could be made long enough to see it all.

Yea removed Global Menue,, fixed..
Removed Scroll Bar Overlay,, fixed..
Moved Min, Max, Close buttons to Min on the left and Close on the right,, fixed..

Now just got to get Conky and my sensors all setup then good to go. Spent all night copying back over my music and photos.

Moving along pretty good..

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM
My Torrent finished downloading about midnight last night. I left my machine on so it was seeding all through the morning until I had to shut it off and go to work.

Now all I need to do is find my USB stick and I can start testing it out!

forrestcupp
April 27th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I just got an update today that needed to download 70MB. I guess I didn't have the final version yesterday, after all.

GrouchyGaijin
April 27th, 2012, 05:22 PM
So I ran the upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 and it seems to have gone well except....

(Yeah I know the preferred method is to do a clean install, but I'm hoping to avoid that since I had 11.10 set up so nicely.)

except...I have Conky issues. Everything else seems to work fine, but my weather script has worked once since the upgrade and all of the places in my Conky where I pull information from the web no longer work.

The command that checks my IP address online as well as the current exchange rate both show null.
The command that checks for Ubuntu updates sometimes shows 0 and sometimes null just like the IP and exchange rates.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

stinkeye
April 27th, 2012, 05:57 PM
So I ran the upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 and it seems to have gone well except....

(Yeah I know the preferred method is to do a clean install, but I'm hoping to avoid that since I had 11.10 set up so nicely.)

except...I have Conky issues. Everything else seems to work fine, but my weather script has worked once since the upgrade and all of the places in my Conky where I pull information from the web no longer work.

The command that checks my IP address online as well as the current exchange rate both show null.
The command that checks for Ubuntu updates sometimes shows 0 and sometimes null just like the IP and exchange rates.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
The version of conky in 12.04 has a bug where execi commands don't run
until your computer uptime reaches the execi interval in your conky config.
Eg if you have an execi command of $execi 1800 to check your
ip address, it wont run until your uptime is >= 30mins(1800 secs)

You can downgrade to this package (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/conky-all/1.8.1-5) and pin in synaptic.

I haven't downgraded yet, just reduced my execi intervals and trying not to reboot to much. ;)

GrouchyGaijin
April 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The version of conky in 12.04 has a bug where execi commands don't run
until your computer uptime reaches the execi interval in your conky config.
Eg if you have an execi command of $execi 1800 to check your
ip address, it wont run until your uptime is >= 30mins(1800 secs)

You can downgrade to this package (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/conky-all/1.8.1-5) and pin in synaptic.

I haven't downgraded yet, just reduced my execi intervals and trying not to reboot to much. ;)
Thanks!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a deb file available? Compiling from source looks pretty daunting.
2. How do you pin something in Synaptic?

Thanks again!

CharlesA
April 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Can you copy those config files to your /home directory?

That's probably what I'll end of doing. ;)

Either that or just install a Precise box and migrate over that way.

mehaga
April 27th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I got impatient while waiting for the release and decided to give Chakra a try. I think I'm in love. Sorry, 12.04 :(

stinkeye
April 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a deb file available? Compiling from source looks pretty daunting.
2. How do you pin something in Synaptic?

Thanks again!
On the link page I gave, choose your architecture under the Builds heading for a deb file.

Uninstall your current conky package then install the downloaded deb.

Open synaptic and search for conky-all. Highlight the conky-all package
and under Package in the menubar choose Lock Version.
(May have to install synaptic)

GrouchyGaijin
April 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM
On the link page I gave, choose your architecture under the Builds heading for a deb file.

Uninstall your current conky package then install the downloaded deb.

Open synaptic and search for conky-all. Highlight the conky-all package
and under Package in the menubar choose Lock Version.
(May have to install synaptic)
Hey Man,

Thank you!
My Conky life is once again complete. ;)

wolfen69
April 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I'm loving 12.04 so far. Not one single issue. Absolute perfection.

sffvba[e0rt
April 28th, 2012, 12:01 AM

Except that I had to use nomodeset to install it so far so good (sad that I didn't need to do this in 11.10 :/)

Uncle Spellbinder
April 28th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I got impatient while waiting for the release and decided to give Chakra a try. I think I'm in love. Sorry, 12.04 :(

Waiting for the release??? It's out. Has been for a couple days.

mehaga
April 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Waiting for the release??? It's out. Has been for a couple days.

On 26th, I prepared myself mentally for the annoyance that is backing up stuff from my home dir, reinstalling programs etc, but 12.04 wasn't available for download yet. I waited for couple of hours, got bored, and since I was going to reinstall anyway, I decided to kill some time by trying another distro...

Docaltmed
April 28th, 2012, 07:12 AM
On 26th, I prepared myself mentally for the annoyance that is backing up stuff from my home dir, reinstalling programs etc, but 12.04 wasn't available for download yet. I waited for couple of hours, got bored, and since I was going to reinstall anyway, I decided to kill some time by trying another distro...

Don't get married.

OpenSourceRules
April 28th, 2012, 08:03 AM
It feels faster than previously, but can it be the changed RAM (from 512MB to 2G).

anejo
April 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
+1 on the loving-it-comments!
As someone else said... "Not one single issue. Absolute perfection."
Amen!

forrestcupp
April 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
It feels faster than previously, but can it be the changed RAM (from 512MB to 2G).

Naaah. It's probably just that Precise is that much better. :D

Lamukra
April 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
12.04 is here and got trouble with sound and graphics... Open-Source Driver is not working so well as it used to be before 12.04, but proprietary driver is like much better than ever before. I am using Radeon HD 5650, but there is no welcome sound when you login to ubuntu, that is disapointing, always loved this sound after fresh install, inspiring but now no inspiration :(... But I love it, I hope it is going to be the best Ubuntu Release... not good to compare with it but I think that 12.04 should be like Windows XP in its times. I love Pangolin!

Sijmen
April 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Allright! Installed Xubuntu 12.04 on the server thursday and have been tweaking it till today. It runs smoothly and better that 11.10. I'm happy :-\"

I want my notebook to run 12.04 too, so I'm off making an export of my stuff. ):P

Marzata
April 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
We upgraded to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Yes, no unity here. Everything works perfect so far. Very stable and very stylish release and distro. Thank you, Mark! Thank you, community!

jcoles
April 29th, 2012, 12:49 AM
On first boot after a fresh install:

Incomplete Language Support - why didn't the installer install all the correct files?

The installation option to install MP3 support is ignored. Attempts to play mp3 files end with vague error: "You GStreamer installation is missing a plugin."

No sound. Should be auto-configured during install. I have Intel HDA hardware. Nothing special. In previous Ubuntu releases it just worked right away.

I install VLC. It plays mp3, but with no sound.

Crash report for "blueman-applet" - what's that?

The verdict is clear: Not ready for prime time.

RJARRRPCGP
April 29th, 2012, 01:09 AM

I'm hoping the same, too! 12.04 has the best chance of being that!

It's time for me to say bye-bye to 11.10!

I burned both Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and Ubuntu Studio 12.04 64-bit yesterday! ;)

I only had time to test them in live-mode yesterday.

sffvba[e0rt
April 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM
No sound. Should be auto-configured during install.
Any configuration app I can use to fix it? Any packages I might be missing?

Intel HDA hardware. Nothing special. In previous Ubuntu releases it just worked right away.

Best to start a new thread in a more appropriate sub section...

Bandit
April 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Seems everyone is finally getting back to posting on the forums. You could tell it got quite for a day or two while everyone was setting at home reconfiging their systems.. I know I was.. :lolflag:

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Going to be bumping my server from Lucid to Precise in a little bit (after I finish doing a full backup of the damn thing) and hopefully it will go smoothly.

One bug I have run into so far from testing is this one:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/880240

Basically

sudo halt

Only halts but doesn't power off.

I'll have to test it on the actual hardware and see if it is the same.

sudo shutdown -h now

Powers the box off fine, so I am puzzled.

ratcheer
April 29th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I did not one, but three fresh installs, today. I think I finally got things the way I want them.

The first time, it rebooted to a "Low Graphics" warning screen, I tried rebooting, with the same result.

The second time I installed, it booted to the GUI. I have no idea what went wrong the first time. After updating to all the current packages, I decided to install fglrx from the ATI site. The first thing that irritated me was the requirement to install ia32libs. That was a ton of stuff, apparently every 32-bit library there is. Then, installing fglrx failed.

So, the third time, I installed fglrx using Jockey. I may not have gotten the most recent release, but it is working just fine. It may have installed some 32-bit libraries, but I am pretty sure it did not install as much as before, because it ran much more quickly.

Anyway, I am enjoying my fresh install, very much.

Tim

Frogs Hair
April 29th, 2012, 02:04 AM
After beta two testing , I decided to do a clean installation anyway . I just finished and an hour ago all went well . A good project for a cool windy Saturday .:o

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Well using
sudo halt does not power off the machine, but other than that, it looks like Precise is running smoothly. :)

PC_load_letter
April 29th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I installed Xubuntu Precise on my ancient Thinkpad and it rocks!
Very snappy, everything went very smoothly (clean install), just fantastic.
One nice surprise was the revamping of Powertop, I stopped using it long time ago, but now it works flawlessly & looks awesome for a CLI app.

CharlesA
April 29th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Server is now reinstalled with Precise and running fine.

Still having that "halt" issue, but I'll just have to deal with it until it gets fixed.

Other than that, raid drivers compiled fine via dkms this time, so I'm happy about that.

Sijmen
April 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Reinstalled my notebook with Xubuntu 12.04 this morning. It runs smoothly. Although the temp seems a bit higher on my server than on the notebook. The server is at least getting better cooling than with 11.10. With 11.10 it got temps as high as 75 when stressed, now it's in the low 50's.

All in all, I'm really digging this release =D> :biggrin:

sffvba[e0rt
April 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
:cry: memory access violation when trying to run Starcraft 2 ...

ZarathustraDK
April 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Nothing but praise from here.

Seems like 12.04 has fixed my refreshrate-problem, finally no more scanlines :D

Noticed though that some fullscreen apps/game "bump" a bit to the right in order to keep the dock onscreen (OpenRA for instance). Would be nice if it would hide itself in those cases, like in 11.10. Then again, it was a bit annoying to me when it dodged windows that I moved around, hmmm...

Oh well, definite improvement. Seems rock-solid so far.

Rock on :guitar:

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2012, 11:21 PM
:cry: memory access violation when trying to run Starcraft 2 ...

That's pretty crappy that Precise can't run a Windows game! I'm going back to Windows! :p

codingman
April 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM
12.04 LTS will be filed in ubuntu and tux history. [-X if you are going to go back to windows because you can't run a game in linux!

mamamia88
April 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM
A few more releases from now and unity will be perfect. Just allow dragging and dropping applications in the sidebar, speed up unhiding of the dock, automatically clear search field after launching what you wanted, and allow for easy moving of the window buttons and disabling of the global menu and it will be great. that and a few speed tweaks. also allow for adding custom commands to the sidebar.

Dragonbite
April 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM
So far I haven't managed to boot into a live environment (grub error) and I won't be able to focus on it until after this coming weekend. :(

Once I can focus on it, then I can verify the download, record the grub error code and try different things. Until then I'll just have to bask in the glow of happy users here! ):P

P1C0
April 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
A few more releases from now and unity will be perfect. Just allow dragging and dropping applications in the sidebar, speed up unhiding of the dock, automatically clear search field after launching what you wanted, and allow for easy moving of the window buttons and disabling of the global menu and it will be great. that and a few speed tweaks. also allow for adding custom commands to the sidebar.I'm also experiencing a minor annoyance with multi-display manager, that wasn't there in 11.10: if i don't move the mouse pointer quickly enough from display to display, then it will stuck for a while at the edge of one display, until I further push the pointer.

Well, I guess it's a driver issue of some kind.

GrouchyGaijin
April 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Since I upgraded to 12.4 I've had headache after headache.

1. Conky in 12.4 has a bug that really messed things up. The solution is to downgrade to an older version of Conky

2. When I shutdown or restart the system now hangs. I've tried several work arounds I read here and on launch pad. It seems that the problem is related to the Nvidia driver.
So far no solution although one that I tried pretty much hosed my system and I had to do a clean install. I'm back to square one - the shut down problem is annoying. I have to hold in the power button to get the machine to shut off.

3. The shortcut for spell check in Gedit (Shift + F7) now does nothing. I have to go to the menu and choose check spelling. Just another hassle since I upgraded to this new and better version of Ubuntu.

4. I noticed after the clean install that the wi-fi wasn't recognized in this version either. The fix is to uninstall the wi-fi drivers that ship with Ubuntu and install others.

ubiquitin.jf
April 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm also experiencing a minor annoyance with multi-display manager, that wasn't there in 11.10: if i don't move the mouse pointer quickly enough from display to display, then it will stuck for a while at the edge of one display, until I further push the pointer.

Well, I guess it's a driver issue of some kind.

I know this isn't really a support thread but you need to switch off the "Sticky Edges" option in Settings > Displays.

P1C0
April 30th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I know this isn't really a support thread but you need to switch off the "Sticky Edges" option in Settings > Displays.Thank you :)

wolfen69
April 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Since I upgraded to 12.4 I've had headache after headache.

1. Conky in 12.4 has a bug that really messed things up. The solution is to downgrade to an older version of Conky

2. When I shutdown or restart the system now hangs. I've tried several work arounds I read here and on launch pad. It seems that the problem is related to the Nvidia driver.
So far no solution although one that I tried pretty much hosed my system and I had to do a clean install. I'm back to square one - the shut down problem is annoying. I have to hold in the power button to get the machine to shut off.

3. The shortcut for spell check in Gedit (Shift + F7) now does nothing. I have to go to the menu and choose check spelling. Just another hassle since I upgraded to this new and better version of Ubuntu.

4. I noticed after the clean install that the wi-fi wasn't recognized in this version either. The fix is to uninstall the wi-fi drivers that ship with Ubuntu and install others.
Was it an upgrade, or clean install? A clean install is usually better.

GrouchyGaijin
April 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Was it an upgrade, or clean install? A clean install is usually better.
Both - first I did an upgrade then a clean install.

sffvba[e0rt
April 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
That's pretty crappy that Precise can't run a Windows game! I'm going back to Windows! :p

12.04 LTS will be filed in ubuntu and tux history. [-X if you are going to go back to windows because you can't run a game in linux!

Well... I had it working on an earlier version of Ubuntu but it was using a nVidia and not Radeon graphics card so I suspect that is the main issue.

I guess I will just console myself that dual booting is the best alternative for me presently...

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Well... I had it working on an earlier version of Ubuntu but it was using a nVidia and not Radeon graphics card so I suspect that is the main issue.

I guess I will just console myself that dual booting is the best alternative for me presently...

For some reason, using Wine in Precise screws some things up that it didn't before, and it has nothing to do with the version of Wine. I've had specific problems installing some 32-bit stuff that wouldn't work because I have a 64-bit OS. I can't prove it, but I suspect Multiarch teething pains to be the problem.

MBybee
May 2nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
A few more releases from now and unity will be perfect. Just allow dragging and dropping applications in the sidebar, speed up unhiding of the dock, automatically clear search field after launching what you wanted, and allow for easy moving of the window buttons and disabling of the global menu and it will be great. that and a few speed tweaks. also allow for adding custom commands to the sidebar.

I think you're about right.
I *hated* Unity until 12.04, just couldn't stand it. I've now been actually liking it... though admittedly I installed myunity, ubuntu tweak AND ccsm to get it tweaked right :D

12.04 so far has been great. Lots of little bugs, but I think they'll be ironed out soon.

wolfen69
May 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Both - first I did an upgrade then a clean install.

Then you need to what I did and buy a linux compatible computer, not windows compatible. I refuse to buy windows only stuff, and it pays off. Learn.

If not, stay with windows or whatever. I have no sympathy for those that don't make a true effort.

You bought your pc with windows preinstalled, what did you expect? Of course it's going to work. You can buy computers with linux preinstalled. If extra money is an issue, why do people spend crazy money to make sure Mac works? Same with linux. It's how much you want it. Learn to buy linux compatible equipment, or be stuck with windows. Sure, it takes some research, but if you're not willing.........