PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keeping home directory

triplemaya
April 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hi. Doing a new install for a new box. I keep home on a separate partition for just this kind of occasion. The big question is about copying the dots.

Simplest by far is to do the new install, and the copy in the entirety of home. Simple, but various programs don't seem to be running right, so I would very much like to just copy over the files I use, all the visible files, and not the hidden dot files. Here's the problem. It takes me ages to set up the applications menu just how I like. But this is the only thing I don't know how to copy without copying the whole of the hidden files and directories. It is obvious how to copy over everything else I used, such as .thunderbird, .hidden, and so on. But I cannot find where the applications menu is stored. I have tried copying:

.config
.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.local
.local_share_applications

but none of these does it. Various odd problems seem to have been following me from install to install, so I would really like to try just taking with me all the data I use; but each time I wind up copying over the whole of home, complete with dots, just to get the applications menu. Where is it?!