PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just upgraded to 11.10. Pretty disappointing!

-RYknow
April 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out. I've been running Ubuntu 10.10 since it's official release, and would have to argue that for me, that was the best Ubuntu release to date. Everything worked perfectly for me, and it was rock solid. Since Ubuntu is no longer supporting 10.10, I decided it was time to upgrade.

After installing 11.10, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, and maybe I'm doing something wrong. First off, I'm not a fan of the Unity desktop. I can work around that, and I have installed the classic gnome session. That's a minor annoyance, my real problem is with dual monitor support. It's terrible! I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I didn't do an upgrade to 11.10, I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install. Once installed, I did all updates, then I went on to install the drivers for my GPU (Radeon 5850 Black Edition). First I tried the post-release updates), which fails everytime I try (don't remember the exact error right off the top of my head, but can get it if you need it). So I installed the regular FGLRX drivers. Rebooted, and went into the AMD Catalyst Control Center to configure my card. I use the multi-display desktop with displays. I rebooted and had the screens the way I wanted. However when I move my cursor to the right display, it disappears. I can highlight things, and move windows over there, but the cursor doesn't show on that screen. I figured out that if I go back into the AMD Catalyst control center and select the multi displays again, then it works. But I have to do this after every restart. I'm also pretty disappointed that when dragging windows around from screen to screen, or even just moving them around on the same screen, it isn't smooth. It's pretty jumpy.

I never had issues like this with 10.10. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been using Ubuntu for about 5 years now, and I feel pretty confident I've done what I can. Any input would be great! Oh...and just in case, here are my machines specs:

CPU- i7-860 OC'ed to 3.5ghz @ 1.18vcore/ 1.20 IMC
RAM- 16gb G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3-1600
GPU- XFX Radeon 5850 Black Edition
MOBO- Asus Maximus III Formula
HD's- 1x Raptor X (OS Drive) 1x 1TB Western Dig Black Edition (Storage)

This machine isn't brand new...but it's specs are still well above what it should take to run Ubuntu smoothly I would think.

Thanks,
-RYknow

Beacon11
April 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, maybe someone can help me out. I've been running Ubuntu 10.10 since it's official release, and would have to argue that for me, that was the best Ubuntu release to date. Everything worked perfectly for me, and it was rock solid. Since Ubuntu is no longer supporting 10.10, I decided it was time to upgrade.

After installing 11.10, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, and maybe I'm doing something wrong. First off, I'm not a fan of the Unity desktop. I can work around that, and I have installed the classic gnome session. That's a minor annoyance, my real problem is with dual monitor support. It's terrible! I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I didn't do an upgrade to 11.10, I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install. Once installed, I did all updates, then I went on to install the drivers for my GPU (Radeon 5850 Black Edition). First I tried the post-release updates), which fails everytime I try (don't remember the exact error right off the top of my head, but can get it if you need it). So I installed the regular FGLRX drivers. Rebooted, and went into the AMD Catalyst Control Center to configure my card. I use the multi-display desktop with displays. I rebooted and had the screens the way I wanted. However when I move my cursor to the right display, it disappears. I can highlight things, and move windows over there, but the cursor doesn't show on that screen. I figured out that if I go back into the AMD Catalyst control center and select the multi displays again, then it works. But I have to do this after every restart. I'm also pretty disappointed that when dragging windows around from screen to screen, or even just moving them around on the same screen, it isn't smooth. It's pretty jumpy.

I never had issues like this with 10.10. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been using Ubuntu for about 5 years now, and I feel pretty confident I've done what I can. Any input would be great! Oh...and just in case, here are my machines specs:

CPU- i7-860 OC'ed to 3.5ghz @ 1.18vcore/ 1.20 IMC
RAM- 16gb G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3-1600
GPU- XFX Radeon 5850 Black Edition
MOBO- Asus Maximus III Formula
HD's- 1x Raptor X (OS Drive) 1x 1TB Western Dig Black Edition (Storage)

This machine isn't brand new...but it's specs are still well above what it should take to run Ubuntu smoothly I would think.

Thanks,
-RYknow

You and I have the exact same video card (oh I do love XFX). I'm running 11.04 really easily, and haven't had any issues with multimonitor support. Obviously that's not helpful; what I really got on to say is that multimonitor support is one of the major focuses for 12.04 which will be released on the 26th of this month, so I would say just hold out and try that one.

EDIT: I've always felt 9.04 was the best release. The boot time was insane, too.