PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Decide Between Two Laptops

dodle
April 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Based on these two specs, which laptop would you pick?

Laptop 1:
CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 1.9GHz (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Turion%2064%20X2%20Mobile%20technology%20TL-58%20-%20TMDTL58HAX5CT.html)
GPU: nVidia Geforce Go 7150 max 128MB

Laptop 2:
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo T6400 2.0GHz (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20Mobile%20T6400%20AW80577GG0412MA. html)
GPU: Intel GMA 5400MHD (Express 4 Series) max 1.7GB

I like the Core2 Duo better, but I don't like integrated Intel graphics adapters. Does the Core2 and max RAM of the 2nd outweigh the Geforce?

kaldor
April 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
You'd most likely have much fewer obstacles if you went with an all-Intel laptop.

underquark
April 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Isn't this a bit like basing your choice of vehicle on the engine alone? World of difference between a Suzuki Bandit and a Daewoo Matiz even if they both have 1200cc engines.

dodle
April 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM
There are a couple other things that make these two laptops different, but other than that they are very much alike, same manufacturer, same size. They both will do what I need for work. One thing I like better about Laptop 1 is that it has built in bluetooth and firewire 400 which I can use for digital video transfer. But the bluetooth module can be transferred over to the other Laptop or I can use a USB dongle. I can always add firewire to the second laptop with an ExpressCard.

I wanted to see what people thought of the laptops based only on those two specs because I like to do some gaming. Neither computer is exceptional for gaming, but I want the better one. I've been leaning toward Laptop 2, but I wanted to see what the Ubuntu community thought, and so far it looks like a good decision. I will reveal the laptops and their specs later if others want to know.

Here is a comparison of the two processors (http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/519/AMD_Turion_64_X2_Mobile_technology_TL-58_%28rev._F2%29_vs_Intel_Core_2_Duo_Mobile_T6400. html) if anyone is interested. AMD's Virtualization is kind of interesting, but not too important. If I remember right, it allowed me to run an x64 virtual machine on top of an x86.

dodle
April 18th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Here are the two Laptops:

Laptop 1:
HP Pavilion dv2610us (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01160894&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3548264)

Laptop 2:
HP Pavilion dv4-1281us (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01703927&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3925092)

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with the dv4, I just want to get the bluetooth switched over if I can, and I'll add a firewire ExpressCard later. The dv4 also has a higher capacity for RAM.

SemiExpert
April 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Why are you comparing a 2007 vintage notebook with a 2009 vintage notebook in the year 2012?

dodle
April 20th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Why are you comparing a 2007 vintage notebook with a 2009 vintage notebook in the year 2012?

Because like wine, computers get better with age ;)

Actually, these are two laptops that I fixed and are in my posession. I am going to keep one and sell the other. Also, being a Linux forum, I would think that people had an appreciation of older hardware. What's funny is, I don't even consider these old. These are the two most powerful machines that I have ever owned. I built my first computer in 2005 and it was a Pentium 4. I kept it until the power supply went out on it in 2009. After that I used its parts to fix up family's computers.

dzponce11
April 20th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Intel-based hardware saves you a lot of time when searching for linux distros.

sffvba[e0rt
April 20th, 2012, 01:26 AM

Computers age like milk, not like wine ;)

dodle
April 20th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Computers age like milk, not like wine ;)

Haha! yeah, that's probably more accurate.

SemiExpert
April 20th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Actually, these are two laptops that I fixed and are in my posession. I am going to keep one and sell the other. Also, being a Linux forum, I would think that people had an appreciation of older hardware. What's funny is, I don't even consider these old. These are the two most powerful machines that I have ever owned. I built my first computer in 2005 and it was a Pentium 4. I kept it until the power supply went out on it in 2009. After that I used its parts to fix up family's computers.

Pick between the two on the basis of the actual physical condition and performance. Test Ubuntu as a Live Disk using an actual optical disk or Unetbootin. Try it before you do a persistant install to determine actual hardware compatibility. With notebooks this old, you might as well keep both so you can be sure of having one in proper working order.

I can still remember the Pentium IV era, and by 2005, I was pretty darned angry with Intel. You could heat an average sized 4 bedroom home in Nome, Alaska with the heat from a single P4. That's only a minor exageration.

Anyway, no hard feelings about the Turions of that era, which despite the age, still benchmark way higher than an E-450. The T6400 is pretty much unknown to me. I think Penryn is the only Intel generation that I skipped. Some people insist that Penryn was better than Arrandale in terms of power management, which is entirely posssible.

dodle
April 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM
You could heat an average sized 4 bedroom home in Nome, Alaska with the heat from a single P4.

I just took a P4 out of my Dad's machine. It stayed somewhere between 48°C and 55°C while idle. I replaced it with a Core2 Duo which runs around 32°C.

underquark
May 8th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I had a 386DX (the one with the built-in floating-point module as opposed to the 386SX which was the same darned chip but with the floating-point disabled so you had to buy a "co-processor" which was, in fact, just a DX CPU in drag). I upgraded to a Thomson DX2 66. I had problems with the system freezing consistently after about 20 minutes' use. One winter evening I had the PC case open and left it running whilst I went for dinner. On returning to the relatively dark room I could see a dull red glow from the processor. I then took the fairly avant-garde step (for those days) of fitting a fan on top of my CPU.

dodle
May 11th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I kept the dv4 and gave the dv2000 to my wife :)