PDA

View Full Version : You'd better run out there and buy yourself a new copy of Windows.

K.Mandla
June 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I'm sure the story has already been mentioned. ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5071656.stm

But what grabs me is the last paragraph:

On its security blog Microsoft wrote: "We strongly recommend that those of you who are still running these older versions of Windows upgrade to a newer, more secure version, such as Windows XP SP2, as soon as possible."
And of course, once you realize that your old 400Mhz Celeron -- which was doing just fine with 98SE -- can't handle the bloat that comes with XP SP2, you'll need a whole new computer.

What a racket.

bonzodog
June 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Thank god, they have finally stopped IE from using ActiveX automatically. This is a Good Thing. Maybe now, less people will put it into websites. ActiveX should be banned from the web. I think it's just plain stupid to automatically assume that people have windows on their systems.

sapo
June 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM

And of course, once you realize that your old 400Mhz Celeron -- which was doing just fine with 98SE -- can't handle the bloat that comes with XP SP2, you'll need a whole new computer.

What a racket.
Wait till Vista comes out, i tried to install the Beta at home, i have a 10GB partition for windows (that i almost never use) the windows installer said that i couldnt install Vista, cause it needs 15GB of free space, so it said that i should free some space or buy myself a new hard drive.

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
15GiB seems a bit much for what can be only described as an "Operating Environment". Mind you it is compiled in "debug mode", probably a good thing.

We strongly recommend that those of you who are still running these older versions of Windows upgrade to a newer, more secure version, such as Windows XP SP2, as soon as possible
...or move to a dependable free alternative, GNU/Linux. (specifically Xubuntu probably, depending on hardware)

cstudent
June 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'd rather buy a new boat.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I've never had any real problems with Windows - I just never really took to it - but my parents still use Windows 98, and it's a pain in the fundament keeping that machine running, especially every time something needs replacing, repairing, or upgrading.
I did suggest, when the motherboard gave out about a year ago (and that was an expensive replacement - I had to get not only a new board, but new RAM, a new CPU, a new cooling fan, a new PSU...), that they upgraded to Windows XP - partly because mum uses a USB drive to move files to work, which 98 occasionally balks at, and partly because my local small computer store sells OEM copies of Windows if you're buying motherboards, processors and memory. Sadly, she declined.
However, between one thing and another, I might have to get them to give Ubuntu a try - my sister's just been given a new laptop by her employer, and she's dumped the old one here. Shouldn't be too hard to set up Ubuntu on it and then manufacture a nasty fault in Windows... ;)

G Morgan
June 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to set up Ubuntu on it and then manufacture a nasty fault in Windows... ;)

Micros~1 spend a great deal of money manufacturing faults. It isn't that easy.

OffHand
June 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM

What a racket.
After a while computers get too old and become obsolete. It happens.
Just like cars, your washing machine, your fridge, your vhs video recorder etc etc
You can buy a suitable computer very cheap nowadays.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Micros~1 spend a great deal of money manufacturing faults. It isn't that easy.
Oh well. I'm sure if I leave it long enough, dad will install a Trojan for me... ;)
Funny, really - for all the time and money that goes into producing new versions of Windows, it strikes me that Redmond are less like Linux programmers and more like Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen... what you get at the end is the same thing you started with, but with the worst cracks plastered, the smaller ones papered over, a truly hideous colour scheme, and a bunch of cheap geegaws scattered around... ;)

cstudent
June 13th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Oh well. I'm sure if I leave it long enough, dad will install a Trojan for me... ;)

They're really not that hard to install. You just take them out of the plastic package and roll them on. :)

The Cosmic Hobo
June 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
They're really not that hard to install. You just take them out of the plastic package and roll them on. :)
I'm not sure if that's too horrible to contemplate, or if it merely deserves an energetic Ooh! Matron!! :p

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
How'd this manage to degenerate?

Kernel Sanders
June 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Stormy posted in here......duuuuhhhh

*joke* :p :p :p

K.Mandla
June 13th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Just like cars, your washing machine, your fridge, your vhs video recorder etc etc
I think you're right, in a way. But for the average user -- and by that I mean e-mail, surfing, typing a letter and maybe watching Daily Show clips off www.comedycentral.com -- where is the need for a brand-spanking-new $800 Dell 1.4Ghz machine?

Don't misunderstand me, I think you're right. There will come a time when every computer we own is finally relegated to the local thrift shop, like those Atari 600XLs you see there.

But I think the reason most people buy new computers can be traced back to the FUD machine.

Case in point: My father had an Inspiron 8000, 900Mhz, 256Mb, 9Gb hard drive. 16Mb GeForce2 in it. It was all he ever needed, because all he ever did was e-mail, surf and maybe listen to a news report over the Internet.

But the reason he wanted a new machine was Windows ME. ME couldn't handle a wireless card to save its life. It crashed three times just trying to install the operating system. Wireless was a completely hopeless proposition.

And because he was saddled with that inferior operating system, he was prepared to drop another $1400 on an Inspiron 600m, to do the same stuff (email, surfing, maybe RealPlayer). Sure, it's faster. It's newer. But it's not doing anything different.

I don't blame him. He doesn't know any better. I offered to put Ubuntu on it. Even ran the Breezy Live CD to show him that the wireless would work, if he would give up on Windows. But he wouldn't bite.

I bought that I8000 from him for a lousy $300. I took some parts from other 8000s and some off ebay and it's the machine you see in my sig now. Works great. I'm even using the same wireless card ME couldn't handle. No problems at all.

And he's got his new machine, and it's running XP, and he's happy. I've got his old machine and it's chugging along with Dapper and I'm happy. Everybody is happy.

I just feel bad for all those aforementioned 400Mhz Celeron users out there, who don't know enough about their computers and are still using Win98, and think this is the end of the line for their machine. Because it shouldn't be. :-&

egon spengler
June 14th, 2006, 12:05 AM

You're right in that computers become obsolete but none of the comparisons are really accurate. As long as it doesn't break down my fridge will always keep food cold. There will never be some new kind of food that my fridge can't support, forcing me to upgrade. My washing machine will never fail to meet the minimum requirements for washing a new pair of jeans and so on...

kenweill
June 14th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Buy a new copy of Window$?

Just download a new copy of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Do a fresh install of Windows and a fresh install of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
Everything works just fine, the first time. Boots fast. Open programs fast.
Then six months later, or less, and you'll see the difference.

Windows boot so damn slow. Opens programs so damn slow. Shut down so damn slow.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu? The same performance when you install a fresh copy.

See the difference?

And not just that. You gonna have to spend alot of money in maintaining and securing Window$.

But on Ubuntu/Kubuntu, you just download it. Free.

NiceGuy
June 14th, 2006, 01:26 AM

*Shrugs* I'm not sure I agree with that.

It's true that EVENTUALLY all things have to be replaced but most people do it far too often and it in most cases what they get is worse than what hey had.

I've got a volvo (the old style 'square' ones) and its done 290,000 miles and it runs like a dream (infact it just passed its MOT). I'd like to see a 'modern' car do that. In my house there is an old microwave oven which has been around since (does a quick calulation) 1982 and it was second hand then and its still going strong. We had, until recently, a vcr of a simmilar age - we got rid of it because we got a TV with a built in one and it was HUGE but it still worked. I could go on.

It seems to me that a lot of things, particularaly computers, are getting faster and faster but cheaper and cheaper (both in price and quality). In my experience the older something is, the higher quality it's likely to be (there are exceptions but in general this is the case). Most 'old computers' will out last new ones. Its true that the old computers won't be able to do all the 'eye candy' the new ones can but to be honest does that REALLY matter? In a lot of ways its a BAD thing that computer hardware is getting faster becuase it means that the software doesn't have to be as good, memory leaks don't have to be plugged etc. and the emphisis is now on how pretty something looks, not how well it works.

Anyway I'm going off at a tangent. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the attitude of 'lets replace it' really needs to stop. Repairing something is often the better option

The article mentioned in original post brings a smile though. It seems microsoft don't share my views - but I CAN see why microsoft arn't fixing the activeX thing - where is the profit in fixing an old OS! To be honest I'm glad they are not fixing it as means that I've got yet another argument to use when I suggest to people that instead of chucking their old PC they install linux on it.

Compucore
June 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I would agree sometimes it is not always out of essential to always have the latest and greatest thing and everything out the wazoo too. I mean take a look when first computers came out all those years ago. They didn't have the high end graphics cards as we do have today. Over the years I have not seen anything that majorily advanced for the computers with the exception of dual core processors, the newest processor that is out I believe for the Playstation3 that has 3 cpu's in one chip. Correct me if I am wrong here. I would rather get corrected and say it is something else than what was said incorrect. Which are rare to see and will admit its a good thing to see from time to time. Besides the speed that is always going up from cpu to cpu. There is nothing really wowing out there that I find that can be said besides seeing computers getting more memory and faster processors. And seeing video cards getting more memory in them. ANd seeing already since the good old days of PCI video accelerated video add ons. They are always repeating in some ways. Sometimes I like the older computers just because they are sturdy like a M1 abram tanks out there of computer technology. Sits there and does the job. May not be the fastest one there. But watch out it does the job.

For me when I get my second hand laptop here. Since my other one went 6 foot under on me a number of years ago. I'll be putting ubuntu on that one doesn't have to be the fast for what I need to do for testing some internet connections or use it as a tool for some other things that I am away from my regular computers here.

Compucore

mstlyevil
June 14th, 2006, 08:15 AM
It is funny hearing people complain about the bloat in Windows XP. They said the same thing about ME, 98, and 95. For the life of me I just do not understand why anyone would want to depend on a old 9X operating system. Some of the same people complaining about MSFT ending support for these very outdated operating systems are the very ones complaining how crappy they were.

Just because MSFT does not provide updates no more does not mean you have to stop using them. Ubuntu no longer supports warty but you do not hear any complaints out of people. Suse does not support it's 7 series anymore yet no one complains about that either. Let MSFT drop support for a operating system on about 5% of the computers and all hell breaks loose.

Software companies have not created new software for these systems for several years. Most of the computers these OS's came on are in the landfill. Most people have moved on and it should not be surprising that MSFT does the same. None of the Linux Distros support OS's over 3-5 years old. It is not viable to do so.

People with these old systems have three choices.

1. Keep using your unsupported OS. Believe it or not it will still work even when support ends.

2. Find a alternative OS. Most of your modern OS's are too "bloated" to work on old systems so you are limited to ones that are just made for them like Xubuntu, DSL or Puppy Linux.

3. Turn the outdated computer into a firewall router or server and buy a modern computer. Or you could even donate it to charity. It doesn't matter what you buy there comes a point it will need to be replaced no matter how good of shape it is in.

This is the way it is and always will be so instead of complaining, people should find a solution that fits their needs and accept this as a fact of life.