PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy, new user here

kryten2k35
April 14th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hi guys

I'm new to Linux. Been a Windows user for 15+ years and tinkered with Linux here and there over the years (started with Ubuntu 6.10 year back) but haven't ever really run it as my go-to OS until very recently.

Started off when I needed an OS to put onto a Pentium 4 3GHz 1GB RAM system for my girlfriend to use in her run-from-home eBay business and I ended up with Lubuntu 11.10 32bit. After configuring it and squeezing the last drop of performance out of it I was very happy with the end result. so much so I decided to use it on my Intel i5-2500k@4Ghz, 8GB 1600Mhz RAM, GTX560ti system pretty much 24/7.

Very impressed with the end results of my system and been really enjoying the ecosystem of Lubuntu 11.10 64bit (except a Wifi driver issue, I believe).

Anyway, here's my desktop:

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/3821/201204141752291680x1050.png

MG&TL
April 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, that's a cool desktop. That might go nicely in the screenshot thread :)
Glad you like Lubuntu, remember to update to 12.04 when it comes out soon, there's a load of awesome new stuff as well as the usual updated software.

Welcome to open-source. :)

Make a new thread about your wifi issue and I'm sure somebody can fix it.

kryten2k35
April 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wow, that's a cool desktop. That might go nicely in the screenshot thread :)
Glad you like Lubuntu, remember to update to 12.04 when it comes out soon, there's a load of awesome new stuff as well as the usual updated software.

Welcome to open-source. :)

Make a new thread about your wifi issue and I'm sure somebody can fix it.

Thanks!

Yeah I held off the 12.04LTS beta2 until later in the month when the release drops.

Took a few hours to get that conky looking how I wanted it. I did nick someones's script from deviant art but I've gutted it a fair bit and integrated conkyBanshee into it instead... The C# and Java experience I have helped a little bit! Shame I need ot use Windows for Visual Studio 2010 for University.

Cheers!

:guitar:

Bandit
April 14th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Welcome!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/1laurasonora/Myspace%20Stuff/dancing_peng.gif

Shame I need ot use Windows for Visual Studio 2010 for University.
Ahh, just stick Windows in VirtualBox and install VS on it. It works like a charm.

Artemis3
April 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Word of advise: When you upgrade into the LTS (after release date), stay with the LTS; don't upgrade every 6 months, specially production machines that must not have downtimes for whatever reason.

Bandit
April 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Word of advise: When you upgrade into the LTS (after release date), stay with the LTS; don't upgrade every 6 months, specially production machines that must not have downtimes for whatever reason.

I have always really liked Ubuntu's release cycles. Most distros either release a new version frequently to keep on top of new software versions to stay cutting edge, others take a more conservative approach and only release a new version when they are confident its very very stable. Ubuntu offers the best of both worlds release semi annual releases every 6 months for hard core users and a Long Term Solution LTS every 2ish years that is very stable and normally very well polished look as well.

kio_http
April 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
on my Intel i5-2500k@4Ghz, 8GB 1600Mhz RAM, GTX560ti system pretty much 24/7.

What's the point of running Lubuntu there, you should have bought something less powerful! Its like buying a lorry for use as a daily commute vehicle by one driver and no cargo.

CharlesA
April 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
What's the point of running Lubuntu there, you should have bought something less powerful! Its like buying a lorry for use as a daily commute vehicle by one driver and no cargo.
Maybe they like LXDE? ;)

kio_http
April 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Maybe they like LXDE? ;)

I guess but if I liked LXDE, I wouldn't buy such a PC.

kryten2k35
April 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Well, I already had this machine for playing games on long before I stuck Lubuntu on here. Like I said, the story goes I needed an extremely lightweight OS for a rubbish machine, then liked it that much I used it on my machine!

But to be fair I do like LXDE, but I'm starting to wonder if XFCE wouldn't have been a little bit more customisable for myself (as I've got a lot of problems with LXDE, like the complete lack of applets for the panel which I'd very much like.)

It's a wonder I didn't come to Linux pretty much full time earlier since one of my old friends is a massive Gentoo user and contributes (or contributed) a lot to the codebase for Gentoo and many programs.

F.G.
April 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
welcome kryten2k35,

i think you'll find the whole linux/debian/ubuntu setup really quite liberating. regarding using lxde and xfce on a high end machine, i've been using xfce recently and am considering using it across the board because i really like it. i don't see any reason not to use a lightweight distro on a high spec machine, you'll just have even more space for running multiple virtual machines and multiple ides or whatever it is you want to do.
anyhow, welcome.

ps. nice desktop and give xfce a go when you have the time.

nothingspecial
April 15th, 2012, 02:01 PM

I run Lubuntu on similar specs, why?

....cos I like it, I want to and I can :D