PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install of 12.04 beta 2 hangs

graabein
April 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hi, I had Ubuntu 10.10 and tried upgrading to 11.04, but it resulted in a unusable system. It just stopped booting on Checking battery state (and I have a desktop computer, mind you).

So yesterday I decided to wipe it clean while keeping my /home and the Windows 7 partitions intact. I put Ubuntu 12.04 beta 2 on a stick and chose other options from the install menu.

From there I selected the old ext4 partition for / and checked the format box. I also selected swap area and /home, but did not tick format for those. Then I started the install process... but it just said Removing conflicting operation system files... for more than an hour so I rebooted and tried again.

This time I formatted the old / using gparted before I repeated the steps, selecting it as ext4 / and used swap area and /home (no format again). Same thing is happening now. It just hangs on Removing conflicting operation system files...

So I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

dino99
April 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM
wonder if your pc's hdd have some hidden partitions like HP & Dell and some others are used to, or is there some raid or crypted partitions. Never seen this error before, maybe some googling can help.

note: its a known issue https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/946663

http://www.google.fr/#hl=fr&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=46&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=Removing+conflicting+operation+system+files...&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Removing+conflicting+operation+system+files...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=dda3ba5ee4953ba5&biw=1387&bih=886

graabein
April 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks dino. I do not have any encryption going on, but I think it is a HP computer with a single original hdd.

The partitions are as follows:

/dev/sda1 ntfs (Windows 7)
/dev/sda3 extended
/dev/sda5 ext4 /
/dev/sda6 linux-swap
/dev/sda7 ext4 /home
/dev/sda8 ext4 /media/data
/dev/sda9 ext4 /media/extra

I'll read more on the links you posted. Thanks again!