PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can label windows drives to C:/, D:/, E:/ and so on ?

curiousapprentice
April 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM
:???::-k:roll::-\"#-oI don't like the way the drives are identified on Ubuntu 11.10. I dont like the numbering approach. Rather I want to rename all my disk drives to something easier like C:/, D:/, E:/ etc.

How can I do that using Gparted ? How I can make a backup of all my Ubuntu softwares ? I dont own any external hdd. Can I backup my data on DVDs? How that can be done using Deja Dup ?

3Miro
April 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
You can use Gparted to give each drive a label. I don't think you can use characters like : and \, but you can use WinC or UbuntuA or just C and D. Ubuntu uses numbers only when no labels are available.

lolpenguin
April 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM
AFAIK not possible under Unix-like systems.However Gobo Linux has a filesystem layout similar to Windows.

sudodus
April 15th, 2012, 02:01 AM
You can use Gparted to give each drive a label. I don't think you can use characters like : and \, but you can use WinC or UbuntuA or just C and D. Ubuntu uses numbers only when no labels are available.
+1
Use labels! If you dual boot with Windows, or have external drives, that you attach to different computers, it is very good to have explanatory labels (C, D etc is possible, but it is better with WinC, hdd-data, usb-data, backup etc). Windows can also read and write the labels of FAT and NTFS drives.

zombifier25
April 15th, 2012, 05:08 AM
AFAIK not possible under Unix-like systems.However Gobo Linux has a filesystem layout similar to Windows.
Actually, the OP is probably asking to rename the incomprehensible numbers assigned to partitions to easier to remember names like C, D...