PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 faith is nearly restored

ade234uk
April 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Like a lot of people when Unity lauched I absolutely hated it. Today I installed 12.04 Beta to see how far things have come.

I have got to say I actually quite like it now. Everything seems a lot more polished and the whole thing seems a lot snappier. I also installed MyUnity and reduced the dock size because if there one thing that really bugged me last time, is was the size of that dock.

isaacj87
April 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Like a lot of people when Unity lauched I absolutely hated it. Today I installed 12.04 Beta to see how far things have come.

I have got to say I actually quite like it now. Everything seems a lot more polished and the whole thing seems a lot snappier. I also installed MyUnity and reduced the dock size because if there one thing that really bugged me last time, is was the size of that dock.

I've been running 12.04 on my System76 laptop for a month or so. I was actually pretty satisfied with Unity 5.0/11.10 on my other laptop, but the current version is really nice. 12.04 is shaping up to be a solid release.

In 12.04, you don't have to use a third-party tool to adjust the launcher size. This can be achieved from the "Appearance" menu.

ade234uk
April 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Been using it now for 2 days now on my home machine, and completely happy with it. I'm actually starting to like the dock on the left hand side now, since I have been able to resize the icons.

I would almost go as far as saying, I don't think I could see myself going back to a classic desktop.

I'm excited about Ubuntu again and looking forward to final release. Thanks to developers.

BrokenKingpin
April 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Still don't like Unity, but I am pretty excited for the new Xubuntu release, and even more excited about the new Xfce 4.10 release at the end of the month.

Things were looking grim on desktop Linux for while, but I think they are starting to turn around for people. Either they have moved on to another DE, or the new DEs introduced are starting to grow on them and the shock of the change is starting to diminish.

ade234uk
April 16th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Still don't like Unity, but I am pretty excited for the new Xubuntu release, and even more excited about the new Xfce 4.10 release at the end of the month.

Things were looking grim on desktop Linux for while, but I think they are starting to turn around for people. Either they have moved on to another DE, or the new DEs introduced are starting to grow on them and the shock of the change is starting to diminish.

I think your right about things looking grim. Things are turning around again. Like you I did not like Unity, but the 12.04 beta that I downloaded has really changed my opinion. However I also used XFCE for a few months and was really happy with that too.

This is what makes Linux great thou. We have a choice of what we want to use. Unity, Gnome 3, XFCE, KDE.

trivialpackets
April 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Personally, I'm a big fan of the direction that Ubuntu is heading in and having tried OSX Snow Leopard recently, I really enjoy the Unity environment better than OSX or Windows. It just fits me well.