PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Can't find open apps after minimizing

hodad
April 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I've noticed a couple of times that when I minimize some apps (usually playing mp3 files, etc), I can't find where the app is "hiding". For instance, right now I'm listening to a podcast, but can't "find" it on the GUI.

Where are these apps residing when they are in hiding, and how do we bring them back up?

On the "Classic" desktop, there was an icon you could click on, but there isn't always an icon for a specific instance at the bottom or side of the screen.

Any ideas on how I can "find" them?

Thanks!

2F4U
April 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
What desktop environment are you using? In Unity, there should be an icon for each running application in the task bar. When the application is running, this should be indicated by a small triangle.

jadtech
April 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
they are on the left the launcher when running a minimized program it usually one click will get it to pop back on top..

otherethe
April 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I've noticed a couple of times that when I minimize some apps (usually playing mp3 files, etc), I can't find where the app is "hiding". For instance, right now I'm listening to a podcast, but can't "find" it on the GUI.

Where are these apps residing when they are in hiding, and how do we bring them back up?

On the "Classic" desktop, there was an icon you could click on, but there isn't always an icon for a specific instance at the bottom or side of the screen.

Thanks!
In Unity there will be a little white arrow looking thing on the shortcut menu to the left of your screen open a app from it and you will see what I mean that lets you know you're running that app, a simple click on it will brg it to focus, also you can get your min apps back by simple holding down alt key and pushing the tab key over and over until you select the running app you would like to be on top and are brg back from being min this works on any distro I've ran cross and any gui shell you're running

ptosiani
May 17th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Thanks!

I have noted the same issue, with applications like the Gimp or Firefox, really frustrating.

ptosiani@ptosiani-XPS-L412Z:~$ ps aux | grep gimp
ptosiani 2970 0.3 2.8 372176 237892 ? Sl 00:43 1:30 gimp-2.6
ptosiani 2979 0.0 0.1 54820 13416 ? Sl 00:43 0:01 /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu -gimp 15 14 -run 0

The gimp is still running but I can't find it in any of the workspaces or by alt-tabbing.

The only way to get the windows back is by pressing: Super+W
and then selecting the window.

amikrop
May 18th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I have the same problem, eg with Chrome and LibreOffice Writer.

jadtech
May 18th, 2012, 05:55 AM
ok on the bottom of the luancher work space switcher Icon click on that and all open aps should be tiled the one you click on will rise to the top ..
most all running aps will have an Icon on the launcher that you can click on to maximize it ..

some program such as conky have to be started at the command prompt in a terminal these aps have no Icon anywhere they start with command they shut down with killall command ..

and if you cant find the Icon on the launcher you can click on the dash home click on the icon there even drag and drop it on the launcher it will pin its self there full time :)

im sure if you go into hidden files and look up the config file you most likly can figure out how to build a menu that will list running aps or recently used aps to give you another place and way to find minimized running programs ..

that is what make linux so different its flexible and usually can be configured by you to work any way you want it too, if your not afraid to experment and learn just have to remember its your computer its not gonna blow up if play around with things yeah you may do something to crash it for a bit but help I find is always out there to give help getting things going again and even advise how to accomplish what you might not understand :)

jadtech
May 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I have noted the same issue, with applications like the Gimp or Firefox, really frustrating.

ptosiani@ptosiani-XPS-L412Z:~$ ps aux | grep gimp
ptosiani 2970 0.3 2.8 372176 237892 ? Sl 00:43 1:30 gimp-2.6
ptosiani 2979 0.0 0.1 54820 13416 ? Sl 00:43 0:01 /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu -gimp 15 14 -run 0

The gimp is still running but I can't find it in any of the workspaces or by alt-tabbing.

The only way to get the windows back is by pressing: Super+W
and then selecting the window.

some programs and such are preloaded into memory once they are ran even after they are closed so they will start quicker this they will be resident in memory unless the mem is needed then they will be cached out to disk programs like chrome fire fox possblly gimp too ..

they have the same behavior on window you just dont relize or see it there ..

this is how I understand it any how