PDA

View Full Version : What's next after Linux?

commodore
June 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Linux is very, very good compared to Windows, Mac OS X etc. But every OS has it's flaws. When Linux will be popular what OS will start "fighting" then? BSD? I personally think HaikuOS will be a good one.

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
GNU/Hurd mabye?

G Morgan
June 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
GNU/Hurd mabye?

Good one ;) .

rbalfour
June 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM
OMG! Another kernel to deal with....when will the madness stop! :D

Kimm
June 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Untill someone creates a system with a more secure model than UNIX I think Linux will stick around for quite some time. Perhaps rivaled by other *nix's, like *BSD or Solaris.
But when Windows gets wiped out (as with everything else, this will happen sometime... no telling when though), compatability problems wount be much of an issue anymore.

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Linux is very, very good compared to Windows, Mac OS X etc. But every OS has it's flaws. When Linux will be popular what OS will start "fighting" then? BSD? I personally think HaikuOS will be a good one.

I am looking forward to the first release of HaikuOS.

have you tried Zeta (also based on BeOS)?
http://www.yellowtab.com/

you can download the live CD of Zeta 1.1 here:
http://download.freenet.de/archiv_z/zeta_live-cd_7560.html

I burned an iso image but no luck on getting it to boot.

rcarring
June 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Unless and until Linux can seamlessly emulate Windows and allow users to run Windows apps transparently without having to munge config files or buy a commercial emulator then it will still be viewed by the majority of Windows users as an "alternate" operating system, rather than a first choice for a new computer.

Having said that, it is entirely possible that Linux may gain momentum in 2007 when the only choice for old pcs is Linux in whatever flavor works best. of course I am biased as I would like to see Ubuntu referred to in the same breath as Leopard and Vista.

IYY
June 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I highly doubt the *nix model is going away any time soon. Linux itself -- maybe. It's most likely to be replaced with one of the BSDs or a derivative of them.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I don't think the *nix model is going away, either. Heck, Apple used it as the foundation for OSX. Frankly, although the idea of Microsoft embracing Linux probably sends a shiver down many people's spines, I would be very surprised if they don't do something similar in the future - effectively rewriting Windows as a desktop environment for the Linux kernel, with an application compatibility wrapper of some kind. It would hopefully improve a lot of things (especially security), while reducing the dreaded bloat...
Not that it has to be any time soon... I like my Linux free, and though I'd gladly hand over some cash to support it, I don't want to pay Redmond prices!

Michael_aust
June 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM
im watching the progress of nexenta www.gnusolaris.org

Its a solaris kernel but it uses deb packages and apt-get for its packagemanagement. Its still in the alphastages but looks pretty good. It comes with Gnome and has the usually applications available. And with it being a solaris kernel you have things like dtrace and other solris tools.

macgyver2
June 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Frankly, although the idea of Microsoft embracing Linux probably sends a shiver down many people's spines, I would be very surprised if they don't do something similar in the future...
Like buy Sun and use Solaris as a base.

bruce89
June 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Frankly, although the idea of Microsoft embracing Linux probably sends a shiver down many people's spines, I would be very surprised if they don't do something similar in the future - effectively rewriting Windows as a desktop environment for the Linux kernel, with an application compatibility wrapper of some kind. It would hopefully improve a lot of things (especially security), while reducing the dreaded bloat...
They couldn't, they would use a BSD to pray on, as they are licenced in such a way to allow it. That's why MacOS X is based on a BSD, not because it is more secure (or whatever BSD's claim their advantages over Linux are), its down to the liberal licencing.

Kimm
June 13th, 2006, 10:58 PM
im watching the progress of nexenta www.gnusolaris.org

VERY Interesting... I'm gona have to check that one out sometime...
This will be the next distro for me to try :-P