PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Determine performance bottleneck: CPU or HDD

Skyo
April 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Dear ubuntu forum,

I wrote a script which unzips a large amount of zipfiles and parses the containing txt-files.
This whole script need aprox. 2 hours and I would like to check, whether I can boost it up a little.

Therefore I ask myself, what the performance bottleneck of my operations (especially 'unzip'!) is, CPU or HDD?

If the CPU limits, more precisly one of its cores, I would start to thread my script.
If the HDD limits, no adjustments can be done (as long as I do not want to buy a faster SDD)

I need some kind of HDD + CPU benchmark. As far as I know, some hdd benchmark tools test compression performance.
Which tools / test setup can be used to answer my questions?

I appreciate your help, thank you very much, skyo.

3Miro
April 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM
If you have a lot of RAM, you can try to unzip the files in ramdisk. If you are creating and deleting lots of small files, ramdisk should speedup things tremendously. If not, then the CPU is the bottleneck.

http://www.ubuntuka.com/ubuntu-ramdisk-ramdrive-easy-way/

Skyo
April 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Is there a way to determine, how large an unzipped archive will be, without actually unziping it? If so, I could unzip 4GB-- archives into RAM and 4GB++ onto the slower HD. Edit: Will test your suggestion as soon as I can.

3Miro
April 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Is there a way to determine, how large an unzipped archive will be, without actually unziping it? If so, I could unzip 4GB-- archives into RAM and 4GB++ onto the slower HD. Edit: Will test your suggestion as soon as I can.

I remember RAR keeping statistics about the compression ration, then you can use that to determine the size of the decompressed file. I don't know if zip does that or not.

Gyokuro
April 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I remember RAR keeping statistics about the compression ration, then you can use that to determine the size of the decompressed file. I don't know if zip does that or not.

zipinfo archive.zip should show you the relevant information