PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Unity 2D save battery?

donalgodon
April 13th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Just wondering. Does running the 2D version of Unity save battery life in a laptop? Is there any functional negative to doing so, other than less eye candy than the standard Unity?

haqking
April 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Pretty much anything where less resources are used or things are not enabled mean less processor and ram being used, less GPU etc and therefore less power consumption.

try it with both and see what mileage you get.

Everyones hardware and configuration is different.

Peace

3Miro
April 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I used to do some experiments with Gnome 2 and compiz vs metacity, I found that unless compiz has too many effects enabled, it makes little difference.

In general, I would say it depends on your video card and CPU. Unless you have heavy effects enabled, both Unity 2D and Unity 3D would do more or less the same amount of work (i.e. render the windows). The question is how is the work distributed between the CPU and GPU. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

donalgodon
April 14th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I used to do some experiments with Gnome 2 and compiz vs metacity, I found that unless compiz has too many effects enabled, it makes little difference.

In general, I would say it depends on your video card and CPU. Unless you have heavy effects enabled, both Unity 2D and Unity 3D would do more or less the same amount of work (i.e. render the windows). The question is how is the work distributed between the CPU and GPU. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

I assume in that case, that since I'm using an AMD E-450 with the Radeon on the same die, it won't make much difference.

3Miro
April 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I assume in that case, that since I'm using an AMD E-450 with the Radeon on the same die, it won't make much difference.

My guess is that it will not make any significant difference. You can test it, you already have Unity 2D and 3D installed, but I would be surprised if there is any significant difference.