PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Workspaces in Unity

the.sam.briggs
April 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hello Folks,

So first off - a pre-emptive apology, I'm very new to all of this, Ubuntu and posting in forums, so I'm very sorry if I offend people with my appalling lack of etiquette or sense.

Anywho. I'm wondering if anyone could help me achieve the Gnome 3 shell workspace behaviour, i.e. when you move a window to a new workspace it creates a new one. Essentially I've moved back over to Unity and I'm trying to create the same effect in Expo, as I have set the Expo to be, currently, 5 workspaces long horizontally and only one vertically, so the effect is a strip of workspaces. What I would like is for that 5 to vary depending on whether other workspaces are being occupied by windows - like Gnome Shell. I've trawled Google for this but to no avail.

The reason for using Unity over Gnome shell is that certain aspects of the Ubuntu experience are better integrated into Unity than Gnome Shell hence my efforts to duplicate the parts I like in Unity.

I'm running:

Ubuntu 11.10
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz × 2
Memory 2.0 GiB
Graphics Gallium 0.4 on NV86

Many Thanks in advance,

Sam XD

kiirokurisu
April 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm afraid I have to say (AFAIK) that is not possible with Unity. The automatically added/removed workspaces in Gnome Shell are a unique and controversial feature of that desktop environment.

the.sam.briggs
April 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Cheers, I guess I'll stick with my current number of workspaces then XD

3Miro
April 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
There should be a shortcut where you can manually add and remove workspaces (I use xfwm4 and I have set Meta+A/D). It isn't automatic, but it is good enough.