PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 several problems...

brosville
April 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I've been running 11.04 for some time, following a botched attempt to update to the latest version of Thunderbird using the terminal (I suspect I may have shut the computer down while "update" was running), I was left with a machine that refused to boot - the "repair boot" disc failed to fix things, so I bit the bullet and reinstalled 11.04, choosing the "save all my files" option.......
I now have a walking wounded version running - at first I thought I'd lost all my images and music files, but thankfully discovered them in "user", which is alongside a "new" version called "martin" in the "home" folder (which is full of empty folders)......
So my "to do list" is as follows - firstly, how do I get the new install to function using all the old files and folders in "user"?
How do I find all my old mail and address book from Thunderbird?
How do I get my monitor to work properly? (it's a 1440x900) - It wouldn't "find" the proper resolution, so I manually entered it in the Nvidia settings - it still gives me oval circles

When I've sorted those, it's moving the max/min buttons to the right, and getting rid of those daft hiding window sliders..........