PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Marlin instead of Nautilus

beruic
April 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Over the recent years, Ubuntu have undergone a lot of changes that cause this proposal to seem a smaller one - at least in my eyes.

So what are the pros and cons?
Shoot! people...

Frogs Hair
April 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I used marlin on 11.10 and it worked well for me . The PPA version I was using didn't have a copy to home or desktop which comes in handy. I liked the delete permanently feature in the context menu. The context pane is very nice also. Marlin currently has less features than its predecessor Elementary Nautilus , but that is due to the change to Gnome 3.

kiirokurisu
April 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
The core principles in Marlin are excellent: simple, extremely fast. It's really just a case now of squashing bugs and adding features. Example: network browsing didn't work very well at all last time I tried it. Definitely not ready to be used as the default file manager, but once it gets there I think it will be superior to Nautilus.

beruic
April 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
... once it gets there I think it will be superior to Nautilus.

That is kinda my feeling too, so I really hope Ubuntu will consider switching when time comes.

anejo
April 14th, 2012, 07:19 AM
+1
Thanks for the heads-up!

So it doesn't--seem to--do a copy to home, desktop or the other window, and while it has tabs, it doesn't do a pane view. There is no Ctrl+L functionality... bummer!
Minor stuff... that I'm sure may yet be addressed but I can still do file management. Seems slightly more responsive and some of the new stuff like properties and context, it does well. It definitely has a smaller ram footprint.

For now... it's my default on 12.04!

beruic
April 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM
So we should create a brainstorm for this or something? :)

anejo
April 16th, 2012, 09:08 AM
So we should create a brainstorm for this or something? :)
I don't know what value add that will have. I think this is still early days and I'm not so sure that you'd have that much participation... !?

beruic
April 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I don't know what value add that will have. I think this is still early days and I'm not so sure that you'd have that much participation... !?
Well I surely didn't mean before Marlin is more mature. Bad communication from here, sorry.