PDA

View Full Version : Parted Magic: How many of you have used it?

DWade
April 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I have several versions of parted magic. I wanted to play with clonezilla and the other image tools to compare against my purchased product Acronis True Image.

I got it to work on my old work computer a Quad core Q6600 intel with AMD Radeon graphics but I didn't have much room on the hard drive to work with.

Since all of these tools were on one disk this should be good.

But low and behold no workie on my gateway NV7922u laptop, where I wanted to use it on. Menu comes up but after that a blank screen. Now though I know it has something to do with the HDMI output and the newer kernels, which is a simular problem for the Ubuntu CD.

So to my question is; how many of you have used parted magic and it's version and how many of you have the same problem, it does just like mine and won't work?

ratcheer
April 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I use Parted Magic and consider it to be indispensable. I do not use HDMI output, so I do not have your problem.

I do need to write the latest iso to CD and make sure it works, though. Thanks for the reminder.

Tim

lykwydchykyn
April 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I've used it for years; occasionally it wouldn't boot on some oddball piece of server equipment, but for standard PC's it worked flawlessly.

I don't have anything with HDMI output, though. I guess if it doesn't boot, it doesn't boot.

DWade
April 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I guess I should say it has Intel Hd graphics of the 1st generation I5 processor and the output is to a 17" LCD laptop monitor with externa HDMI and VGA output connectors.

papibe
April 12th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hi DWade.

I've used it occasionally. Last time to 'secure erased' an SSD.

Since the purpose of Parted Magic is to either rescue or repair, it has limited support for graphics. I would keep it very simple: no external monitor, and I would have a USB mouse handy in case your touchpad doesn't work.

Just my thoughts.
Regards.

leclerc65
April 12th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Indispensable !

Primefalcon
April 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I used to use it partition magic, but a lubunt install on a usb with gparted, testdisk has pretty much taken over it's usage.

odiseo77
April 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I've used it for years. I recently used it on a Lenovo G460 laptop (I think it was Parted Magic version 4.7). The default boot option didn't work, so I chose the VESA graphics option and it worked fine. You could try that, and/or the latest version of Parted Magic.

Cheers.

DWade
April 13th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I use it all the time to rescue my virtual machines and other computers when they need fixing, but my own laptop gets only a blank screen, but I will try it with HDMI port, so I use the items separately, gparted, clonezilla, etc.

wolfen69
April 13th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Even when I had a pc repair business, parted magic didn't have a place in my arsenal. I'm sure it's good, but I would use regular live cd's, or #iren's boot cd. ;) (the best) Ultimate Boot CD is also pretty good.

DWade
April 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Also a good rescue disk Ultimate Boot disk [CD].

lykwydchykyn
April 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Also a good rescue disk Ultimate Boot disk [CD].

Which, ironically, includes Parted magic.

DWade
April 13th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Which, ironically, includes Parted magic.

That is true!
It has changed dramatically since I last used it. I just downloaded the new one to find what was needed for someone on another thread. I went Oh my!