PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very frustrating mouse problems [losing control]

JPurdy
April 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm having some very strange problems with my mouse & keyboard and I'm not sure how to go about figuring out what's wrong, exactly.

On a fresh boot, things work great and then after a while, something happens and I can't correlate it to something specific, but once this event occurs, things go downhill quickly, including:

My mouse will sometimes jump to a different area of the screen
My mouse will be sluggish to push the cursor around
My mouse left-click and right-click buttons don't work
I can't click on other windows to raise focus
I also can't alt+tab to other windows

I have a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse. I tried replacing the batteries of the mouse and that isn't it. I've also tried reconnecting the mouse and that doesn't help. Sometimes it fixes the problem when I unplug the USB receiver and plug it back in, but sometimes that doesn't work, either.

I've upgraded to 11.10, but that was a while ago, so I don't think it's related.

Can you point me in a direction of what to use to diagnose this problem further?

Thanks!

2F4U
April 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
One possible cause to such a strange problem could be another device, which sends signals on the same frequency as the wireless receiver of the mouse. Are there other wireless devices in the near range?

roelforg
April 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
One possible cause to such a strange problem could be another device, which sends signals on the same frequency as the wireless receiver of the mouse. Are there other wireless devices in the near range?

One of my optical mice has something with my desk and the cursor jump to the edge of the screen, add a mousepad and solved.

JPurdy
April 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I think you may be right w/ the frequency thing. I do charge my cellphone nearby. It isn't a new practice, but cellphones are always updating so perhaps something on my phone is causing this.

I have moved my USB receiver to the front of my case to see if that helps and so far, I haven't had the problem come back.

Why would this affect my wired keyboard, though?

Thanks!