PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wont install

zhotrum
April 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Long hard problem. I have WinXP on a 250G HD. I added Debian Squeeze but than I could not access XP anymore there was not an option to dual-boot setup. I have downloaded software to create a usb iso again since the iso that was created by Debian was corrupted after install. I haven't yet found a program that will work in Debian. I downloaded Ubuntu today. I had that a few years ago on another machine. Worked great and I want something different than the world domination by Micros---. The package I got was a tar.gz but nothing happened after it was extracted. I found the terminal but haven't found where Debian put the extracted files. I can find them thru file manager but I am not able to get it to work. File Manager does not tell me where it is. File Manger will not let me delete the folder or any files so now Ubuntu is taking up lots of HD space but it wont run. I am willing to format the HD and just run a Linux but I am not familiar with Linux command lins. If it was batch or Dos I could do it. I am ready to take the HD out beat it with a hammer into 1000 pieces and buy a new HD. There must be someway to get something to work? Thanks Dave

jadtech
April 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
you should be getting the ubuntu ISO burning it to CD or flash drive and booting with that for a full install ..

if you are willing to reformat completely and there is no files on windows you care to save on the windows paritition just burn the iso to CD and reboot folllow what it tells you pretty simple..

if there is something on windows you would like to save you are going to need a recovery CD to fix the MBR to get that stuff first ..