PDA

View Full Version : opinions on video editors

COKEDUDE
April 12th, 2012, 08:46 AM
What is everyones opinions on these video editors?
PiTiVi
Avidemux
Cinelerra
Kdenlive
Kino

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/79187.aspx

COKEDUDE
April 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
This website list a few more programs.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/

forrestcupp
April 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM
It really depends on how much you want to do. Cinelerra is the closest you're going to get to a professional quality editor, but it's a little harder to use, and it seems to not support as many file formats. It's kind of ugly, too. But it has a heck of a lot of professional grade features.

I like Kdenlive a lot, but it seems kind of buggy. Unless you only need to slap some clips together, Kino is worthless for anything other than capturing video. I didn't like Avidemux a whole lot. I haven't tried PiTiVi, yet.

COKEDUDE
April 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
It really depends on how much you want to do. Cinelerra is the closest you're going to get to a professional quality editor, but it's a little harder to use, and it seems to not support as many file formats. It's kind of ugly, too. But it has a heck of a lot of professional grade features.

I like Kdenlive a lot, but it seems kind of buggy. Unless you only need to slap some clips together, Kino is worthless for anything other than capturing video. I didn't like Avidemux a whole lot. I haven't tried PiTiVi, yet.

Can I ask why you didn't like Avidemux? Thats the only one I have used.

na5h
April 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Professional video editor Lightworks (http://www.lightworksbeta.com) is also heading for Linux. Sadly, the Linux version is lagging behind schedule...according to their website, support for Linux was scheduled for late 2011.

raja.genupula
April 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/

sffvba[e0rt
April 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support question.

juancarlospaco
April 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
My opinion: that is not the Brush but the Artist...

cprofitt
April 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have used OpenShot - http://www.openshotvideo.com/

It worked better than PiTiVi for me due to PiTiVi crashing when I tried to render the movie.

eriktheblu
April 12th, 2012, 10:49 PM
PiTiVi: Limited functionality; buggy when I tried it. Probably the most intuitive editor we have available, but I never could complete a project.
Avidemux: Didn't like the interface; gave up on it early.
Cinelerra: Complicated. Couldn't get good results from it
Kdenlive: Good product, easy to use, but crashed frequently
Kino: Limited functionality. My only use for it was transferring video from the camcorder (which is now obsolete)

I've been using Openshot. Easy to use, high quality results, very stable, and few bugs.

forrestcupp
April 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Can I ask why you didn't like Avidemux? Thats the only one I have used.I didn't spend more than 10 minutes with it because right away I saw that you can't do hardly anything with it. But if you were happy with the very limited features and interface, then you'd probably be happy with anything. Different people have different needs. If you only need to trim clips and join them together, and don't require any more, you should definitely stay away from Cinelerra. It's good for complex stuff, but too complex for your average simple video needs.

Professional video editor Lightworks (http://www.lightworksbeta.com) is also heading for Linux. Sadly, the Linux version is lagging behind schedule...according to their website, support for Linux was scheduled for late 2011.

I tried the Lightworks beta, and couldn't stomach it. It's so unnecessarily different that it would have had too much of a learning curve. A lot of people love it, though.

Actually, my preference is Sony Vegas in a VM.

azangru
April 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
For trimming clips and separating audio and video tracks I use Avidemux. I simply loved it when Avidemux opened a .vod video file directly from the DVD and I could easily cut out a fragment that I wanted (Adobe Premiere refused to import that file format). So for simple tasks Avidemux is amazing.

For something more complex I prefer Kdenlive. But of course, I do only casual video editing.

Primefalcon
April 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I think the 2 lead ones atm are openshot and kdenlive

Bandit
April 13th, 2012, 02:51 AM
OpenShot can be buggy from time to time, but overall its the best one that uses GTK instead of QT. IMHO its just as good as KDEnLive.

mcduck
April 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I didn't spend more than 10 minutes with it because right away I saw that you can't do hardly anything with it. But if you were happy with the very limited features and interface, then you'd probably be happy with anything. Different people have different needs. If you only need to trim clips and join them together, and don't require any more, you should definitely stay away from Cinelerra. It's good for complex stuff, but too complex for your average simple video needs.

I tried the Lightworks beta, and couldn't stomach it. It's so unnecessarily different that it would have had too much of a learning curve. A lot of people love it, though.

Actually, my preference is Sony Vegas in a VM.
Avidemux is actually quite versatile and powerful, just not as a video editor. I often use it for various encoding/transcoding/video processing tasks when even the professional apps fail or refuse to do something for me, but of course I'd never use it as a non-linear editing application. :D

BTW, one more editor option to the list, Blender. It has fairly good NLE mode, and of course plenty of other features that could be used for video jobs. Like a great node-based compositing system, and of course all the 3D/Animation stuff as well. Great option for more experienced users, but probably not for simple editing of some home videos... :)

forrestcupp
April 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Avidemux is actually quite versatile and powerful, just not as a video editor. I often use it for various encoding/transcoding/video processing tasks when even the professional apps fail or refuse to do something for me, but of course I'd never use it as a non-linear editing application. :D

I'm not saying it's not without use, just not as a NLE. I still didn't like it, though. It seemed slow and ancient feeling.

Dragonbite
April 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
What is everyones opinions on these video editors?
PiTiVi
Avidemux
Cinelerra
Kdenlive
Kino

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/79187.aspx

No OpenShot (http://www.openshotvideo.com/)?

EDIT:
OpenShot can be buggy from time to time, but overall its the best one that uses GTK instead of QT. IMHO its just as good as KDEnLive.Whoops! Didn't see that post before mine!

Yeah, I kinda put OpenShot as a GTK equivalent to KDEnlive, but I haven't used either one extensively.

I second the sentiment that Kino is primarily good for importing video from a camcorder or something (I have a Sony HandyCam D8 and Kino is the only one I've managed to get to import from the tape.)

Primefalcon
April 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
For transcoding/converting, ffmpeg (cli) and Arista (gui) are the roost rulers

forrestcupp
April 13th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I just thoroughly checked out Openshot, PiTiVi, and Kdenlive. I stand by my previous analysis that other than Cinelerra, Kdenlive has the best features, by far. It's too bad it's so darned buggy.

I was disappointed with Openshot because you can only have two keyframes per clip, the beginning and end. PiTiVi has keyframes, but they are worthless for anything other than audio and the alpha on a video clip. I like having keyframes that work on everything, including transformation, pan & zoom, rotation, video effects, everything. Kdenlive can do most of what I want, but for some things, working with keyframes is unintuitive. One thing I don't like about Kdenlive is that it doesn't even have a button to rewind to the beginning of the project; you have to use a keyboard shortcut to do something that simple.

I think that personally, my best bet is to just keep using Sony Vegas in a VM. From what I've seen, I think PiTiVi has the most promise. Either that or Kdenlive, if they could ever work the kinks out of it. The way things are at this point in time, I'd have to stick with Kdenlive if I want to do editing in Linux, though.

lisati
April 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I checked out Kino a couple of years ago to transfer from a camcorder I seldom use these days. Although it looked promising, it was a pain to get working properly on my setup.

More recently I've found OpenShot and Kdenlive of some help - at least Kdenlive can process the files direct from my newest camcorder.

This might almost sound like heresy on an Ubuntu or Linux forum, but one of the main reasons I keep Windows around is so I can use software from Roxio & Pinnacle that I've paid good money for and that seem to do most of the stuff I want.

smellyman
April 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Anybody using VLMC (http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/)? Is that getting close to being done??

Bandit
April 14th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Anybody using VLMC (http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/)? Is that getting close to being done??

Its in Pre Alpha stage. Its usable, but lacks many features. I got a feeling it may become a good tool in the future if development continues.

Warpnow
April 14th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Lightworks is, in my opinion, the best hope. Its a very different style editor but it is the only one I'd consider using on a serious project.

drpjkurian
April 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I've used openshot, Its good

chickenPie4breakfast
April 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ive Tried Pitrivi - great for rendering(so many choices!) but otherwise limited to very simple editing.
Openshot - you can do a bit more with it but again very limited - you can only have two keyframes per clip, the beginning and end!
Kdenlive - the 8+ versions are much more stable now and it has a wide choice of features now - it's the one I use now.
I tired Cinerella but although I offers so much it counts for nothing when it is so fussy about what file types it will open.
I used to use Vegas 8.0c under wine but find I am using Kdenlive (in a Gnome2 desktop) most of the time now - it opens more files types than vegas including .Flv and it's developing fast. I have high hopes for Openshot too but it's just too limited at the moment - when they allow better keyframing then it might be an option.

na5h
April 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM
You should also remember to pick your editor prior to your NEEDS. If you just want to add some subtitles to your family's holiday videos, then a simple video editor like Openshot or Pitivi will be more than enough.

Same thing goes with everything else...there's no need to buy, for example, the latest and best version of Adobe Photoshop if all you intend to do is occasionally change the brightness of an image or two.

forrestcupp
April 14th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I tired Cinerella but although I offers so much it counts for nothing when it is so fussy about what file types it will open.
Other than some things about the user interface, that's the only thing that's bad about Cinelerra. It's one awesome video editor, but it's pretty ridiculous that the supported file types are so limited. How can they create so many advanced features and not have that basic thing worked out?

I used to use Vegas 8.0c under wine but find I am using Kdenlive (in a Gnome2 desktop) most of the time now - it opens more files types than vegas including .Flv and it's developing fast.I agree that Kdenlive is pretty amazing, but I've been using Vegas 10 for a while, and Kdenlive doesn't hold a candle to it. I'd rather use another app to convert clips to something Vegas can support, unless I didn't need to do anything very complicated. I've loved Vegas since version 3, when it was still Sonic Foundry.