PDA

View Full Version : View PDFs inside a web browser (humor)

pmackinney
April 11th, 2012, 11:26 PM
The problem: Every time I click a PDF, my browser downloads it instead of displaying it.

Part 1. Firefox.
1. Launch Firefox and Google a bunch of solutions that tell to type about : plugins, then scroll down to an entry THAT DOESN'T EXIST and enable it.
2. Google for more solutions that tell you to open Acrobat Reader, open Preferences>Internet and click a check box THAT DOESN'T EXIST.

Part 2. Chrome
3. Launch Chrome repeat steps 1 & 2 above.

Part 3. Internet Explorer
4. Ensure that your system 2 GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk space free and install qemu-kvm.
5. Buy a copy of Windows 7.
6. Open the Virtual Machine manager and create a new virtual machine with 2 GB of RAM and and 20 GB of disk space, specifying the Windows DVD as the boot image.
7. Install Windows and restart the virtual system, finish setup.
8. Go to the Adobe website, download & install Acrobat Reader.
9. Launch Internet Explorer and open the PDF of your choice. It appears perfectly in the browser.

Here's the great part: I'm really doing this! 10.4 LTS 64-bit + Acropbat 9 is a gigantic fail, it hates my copy of libxul.so. I can't use gPdf because my company has an intranet that is not visible to Google.

sffvba[e0rt
April 11th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe. (as it isn't a support question)

doorknob60
April 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM
If you were actually using Chrome (not Chromium), it has a built in PDF viewer that is quick and separate from Acrobat Reader, try that :)

lovinglinux
April 12th, 2012, 12:18 AM
If you were actually using Chrome (not Chromium), it has a built in PDF viewer that is quick and separate from Acrobat Reader, try that :)

Indeed.

If you are using Firefox, you can install PDF Viewer, which is an experimental extension from Mozilla Labs, that implements a PDF viewer using HTML5. This will be eventually incorporated into Firefox code.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pdfjs/

Not to mention you can install mozplugger to open PDFs with the default PDF reader, inside the browser.

pfeiffep
February 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Indeed.

If you are using Firefox, you can install PDF Viewer, which is an experimental extension from Mozilla Labs, that implements a PDF viewer using HTML5. This will be eventually incorporated into Firefox code.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pdfjs/

Not to mention you can install mozplugger to open PDFs with the default PDF reader, inside the browser.

I just installed extension to Chromium [Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer (by Google)] Version 24.0.1312.56 Ubuntu 12.10. This opens the file in the same tab, however if using 'right-click' provides the option to download:p

mamamia88
February 19th, 2013, 07:35 PM
On a side note I just upgraded to firefox 19 a few minutes ago. I had just uninstalled adobe reader and wanted to make sure that firefox had reverted to using evince again. Well low and behold firefox now opens pdfs in browser. Gotta say it's about damn time