PDA

View Full Version : Please help me I have an addiction

siimo
June 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
.. its called distroholism, past yr i haven't had the same distro on my machine for more than 2 weeks! ](*,) I am happy for a while and then i find something i can't fix and then feel the need to switch and this keeps repeating :mad:

I wish i didn't know there were SO many linux distros around, and just knew one that I had to use no matter what just like windows.

Is there a DA (distroholics anonymous) group that i can join and kick the habit?

p.s. this is a serious post :roll:

sharkboy
June 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
.. its called distroholism, past yr i haven't had the same distro on my machine for more than 2 weeks! ](*,) I am happy for a while and then i find something i can't fix and then feel the need to switch and this keeps repeating :mad:

I wish i didn't know there were SO many linux distros around, and just knew one that I had to use no matter what just like windows.

Is there a DA (distroholics anonymous) group that i can join and kick the habit?

p.s. this is a serious post :roll:

You need to learn how to fix more stuff, so that you don't have to change :). My suggestion is that you switch to Debian SID (unstable). It's packages are constantly changing which will make you learn, give you novelties and generally keep you on your toes. 'Unstable' refers to the changing nature of the repository and not to operative instability (although that does happen). While using and helping out with debian you will also help all the derivatives, like ubuntu.

The other route is to choose a really super stable OS which you don't have to fix. I'd use Debian Sarge if I were you, or wait for Debian Etch.

ikilledclown
June 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Remove all blank disks from your house and install one distro, keep it and lock yourself in, if something doesn't work ask people on here, and leave your machine alone for say 2 hours, come back and see if someone has posted a reply which can help you.
Stock up on plenty of movies, beer and anything else amusing to keep you entertained while you are staying away from your machine, after a while all faults you had a problem with will be fixed hopefully and you will feel better.

Good Luck

sapo
June 13th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I had this addiction too, but ubuntu was the cure, never installed another distro after i installed Warty on my pc :)

airzer0
June 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM
UBUNTU OWNS! i have xp also and i haven't booted back in months. i have had a lot of problems on the way, BUT EVERY SINGLE ONE i have figured out or i have read here. dapper is good wouldn't use anything else at this point.

Sonique
June 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, just use ubuntu - if you need help then just post on these forums! There are ALWAYS people here to help (thanks guys!)