PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Poor picture quality/HDMI

mma8x
April 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Building an HTPC using a clarkdale i3 processor and 720p TV. Originally mythbuntu install but now it's full ubuntu. Also tried a kubuntu live stick with the same results. I finally got HDMI sound working, and suspend is nearly functional. My last problem is the output resolution. Using VGA, the supported resolutions aren't correctly recognized. Xrandr can fix it somewhat, but it still doesn't fill the screen correctly. However, the picture quality is fine. Using HDMI, the picture is definitely off. I'm having a hard time describing it, so I've had a hard time searching for it. I think the closest description is that it seems to be running in 256 color mode. The colors are washed out, but the text is also off--lots of pixelation and sharp edges. Luckily, watching live and recorded TV seems fine through myth/vlc/whatever. Here's a screenshot; not sure if you can appreciate what I'm talking about.

Lemuriano
April 14th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Hi,

Would you tell us what´s the version of Ubuntu that you are using.

Regards.

mma8x
April 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sorry, 11.10

Lemuriano
April 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
On the HTPC I also have some of your issues with 11.10, but after trying 12.04 the HDMI sound and picture work like just fine.

Hope this help

mma8x
April 18th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Nope, that didn't fix it. I enabled the opengl paint engine in myth and turned down the sharpness on my tv all the way. Both helped, but the pic is still a bit wonky. Like I said, the video looks fine, so that would be the main issue...