PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation 11.04

dbonneau
April 11th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hi, I installed 11.04 64bit. but it just shows ubuntu logo in the middle and doesn't progress. please look at the picture.could anyone please help me ? thank you

roelforg
April 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
If the dots are animated, it's just taking a long time to boot.

dbonneau
April 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM
If the dots are animated, it's just taking a long time to boot.

i have been left it on for more than 8 hrs.. is it supposed to be this long ? thanks

roelforg
April 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
i have been left it on for more than 8 hrs.. is it supposed to be this long ? thanks

Nope,
but why the outdated version?

dbonneau
April 11th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Nope,

i had window xp so i had to just install it. thanks

dbonneau
April 11th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Nope,

would it be better if i use 11.10 ?

roelforg
April 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
would it be better if i use 11.10 ?

I think so,
your problem might be a driver bug and there's a good chance 11.10 has it fixed.

dbonneau
April 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I think so,
your problem might be a driver bug and there's a good chance 11.10 has it fixed.

hi, i downloaded and installed 11.10 but no luck..

roelforg
April 11th, 2012, 09:30 PM
hi, i downloaded and installed 11.10 but no luck..

Try 32bit,
it has better drivers.

critin
April 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM

When it does this on my old Dell, I can hit esc and get the text on the screen. I don't know if it's a different key for other comps. I can then read it for hints and hope I can understand something. It could be a faulty disk or low memory.
Nothing should take that long to boot.

How did it run while in the live mode before you installed?

dbonneau
April 12th, 2012, 02:34 AM
When it does this on my old Dell, I can hit esc and get the text on the screen. I don't know if it's a different key for other comps. I can then read it for hints and hope I can understand something. It could be a faulty disk or low memory.
Nothing should take that long to boot.

How did it run while in the live mode before you installed?

I used esc button but it just stayed at same screen , no changes..

I was running Win XP before I installed Ubuntu. It was running good except restart. (it didn't restart sometime..) Reboot option in Ubuntu CD didn't work.. I just had ubuntu cd in the cd driver of the computer. All of the sudden, my window xp froze while i was working.. So, I pressed computer button to restart ,and it showed ubuntu logo later..

Thank you so much for help...

dbonneau
April 12th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Try 32bit,
it has better drivers.

it stays same.. thank you.

cortman
April 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Hit the "down" arrow key to get the verbose boot up screen, and post the last five or so lines of text. That should give an idea of what is holding it up.
Also, 11.04 is certainly not outdated. Neither is there any appreciable difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu.

dbonneau
April 12th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hit the "down" arrow key to get the verbose boot up screen, and post the last five or so lines of text. That should give an idea of what is holding it up.
Also, 11.04 is certainly not outdated. Neither is there any appreciable difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu.

Hi,

When I hit down arrow to get the text, it didn't work. The screen was just frozen. However, when I pressed turn on/off on the machine to re-start computer, this text came up.

Thank you so much.

dbonneau
April 12th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hi,

When I hit down arrow to get the text, it didn't work. The screen was just frozen. However, when I pressed turn on/off on the machine to re-start computer, this text came up.

Thank you so much.

I am adding one more picture. Thank you.

cortman
April 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM
What manufacturer/model is your computer?