PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] User Authentication, Email Hosting...Is it available in Ubuntu Server?

terrykiwi83
April 11th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I have just acquired myself a half decent spare desktop PC that I intend to set up as a server, I have heaps of experience with Squid but limited experience with using Ubuntu as a server for anything else.

What I would want from a Ubuntu Server (If its possible?)

User Authentication, similar to that of a Windows Active Directory setup. I have 5 desktops (All Ubuntu) throughout my house and would like them all to authenticate each user with the server, then load that users desktop..etc.
Email Hosting (Microsoft Exchange Server type of setup). I would also need a program to run on the server that will manage our email accounts. We all use Evolution and would like to have public/private email folders setup etc.
Squid Caching Server - I am able to set this up myself
Folder sharing across the network (Everybody will store there stuff on this server, possibly everyones Documents folder is linked to the server?)

So is the above all possible on a Ubuntu server? do you have any suggestions for software, and maybe tutorials to follow, and finally what version server? 10.04LTS or wait for 12.04 LTS?

Or should I go with CentOS or Debian?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions :\

roelforg
April 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Linux has the "everything is an app" credo.
And i'm thinking (research each one to see if it might work):
* LDAP / Samba (samba does more then shares)
* https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer
* Samba for the shares for win and have nfs share the same ones for linux.

Done it on 11.10