PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need to land a job as a Junior Web Developer!

ojdon
April 11th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Hi there ubuntuforums!

In a bit of a stressful situation and I need some fast advice so apologies if this is the wrong section to ask but I was wondering if there was any Web Developers that also visit the forums.

I'm currently looking to get a job as a Junior Web Developer. The problem is that I have next to no portfolio work. Just a couple of pieces that I've made during my spare time, so I'm in need of some ideas that will "WOW!" potential employers.

In my portfolio I currently have an example of a lightweight login form which uses a Secure Hash Algorithm, I also have reused this to show off a concept of a cloud-based desktop (Think JoliOS and Chrome OS) for a specific market. But other than that I'm stumped on ideas.

Time is crucial so I'm mainly looking for ideas that will show off my HTML5, PHP and Javascript skills, that won't take all the time in the world.

Is there anyone in this vast community that can help suggest some ideas?

Much appreciated!

- Ollie

Bandit
April 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Post an example or two of your work. It may help your chances or just setting some of our curioisitys. :KS

jpeddicord
April 11th, 2012, 02:40 AM
In my portfolio I currently have an example of a lightweight login form which uses SHA256 encryption, I also have reused this to show off a concept of a cloud-based desktop (Think JoliOS and Chrome OS) for a specific market. But other than that I'm stumped on ideas.

Time is crucial so I'm mainly looking for ideas that will show off my HTML5, PHP and Javascript skills, that won't take all the time in the world.

Is there anyone in this vast community that can help suggest some ideas?

- Ollie

Do you have a personal website about you? I'd recommend doing something like that. That can contain your portfolio as well as be a part of it.

Also, SHA-256 is not encryption, it's just a hash. Just want to save you potential confusion or embarrassment if you're asked about that in an interview. :)

era86
April 11th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Github... put all/any projects you don't mind showing off on Github. Show that you understand how a web application works. Not just the HTML/CSS, but the entire technology stack from the database model to the client-side library (jQuery, backbone.js). Find a web framework (Django, Rails) and understand how it works. Goodluck!

ojdon
April 11th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Do you have a personal website about you? I'd recommend doing something like that. That can contain your portfolio as well as be a part of it.

Also, SHA-256 is not encryption, it's just a hash. Just want to save you potential confusion or embarrassment if you're asked about that in an interview. :)

Doi! That' what I meant but was writing the thread just before I went to bed ready for replies in the morning.

I have an online portfolio. It currently shows off my software development projects since I have plenty of those compared to my web work. But I definitely want to land a job in the web industry. So that's why I'm after ideas for my web portfolio.

My online portfolio for software development can be found here:

http://www.ollie-reardon.co.uk/portfolio

winh8r
April 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
You might like to consider using this site:

http://www.freelancer.co.uk/

There are often opportunities for web development here and as they are all freelance jobs you could gain a wide variety of experience to add to your portfolio, as well as earning some extra money to fund your studies (read as social life!!)

Good luck

jpeddicord
April 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM
http://www.ollie-reardon.co.uk/portfolio

I think this is a solid start, and should be very helpful in showing off what you can do. My only recommendation is to remove the "More coming soon!" image on the bottom-right, as it implies you're just trying to churn out sites to fill your portfolio. Overall, looks good.