PDA

View Full Version : CPU choices

johnmarkzimm
April 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
So, I am building my first computer and I want to know how I know what Ubuntu works best with (or has worked best in the past releases). For example, how do I know if I should buy an Intel CPU (i5 or i7, or is can bump it up to a 6 or 8 core AMD FX Bulldozer CPU which is a bit cheaper. Is there a rule of thumb which will be less of a problem or "just work" better?
Thank you.
BTW, I am planning on running Ubuntu 12.04 and doing video editing.

LinuxFan999
April 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Intel CPUs and chip sets tend to work better with Ubuntu than AMD CPUs and chip sets .

donalgodon
April 11th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Absolutely. I'll second that.

Mathor
April 11th, 2012, 01:14 AM
An intel chip would run better with the kernel; an i5 or higher would be ideal, but is not necessary. Ubuntu 12.04 performs pretty well on lower-end processors.

johnmarkzimm
April 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks, guys. That is allot of help.

QIII
April 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Intel CPUs and chip sets tend to work better with Ubuntu than AMD CPUs and chip sets .

Evidence?

Raw performance goes to Intel on any platform. Performance per dollar goes to AMD.

I'd like to see definitive research indicating anything beyond that with regard to Linux.

Yellow Pasque
April 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM

They both work fine in my experience. Graphics is a different story..

QIII
April 15th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I get good graphics performance from AMD/ATI, personally.

By the way...

In multi-threaded applications (as open-source applications tend to be) AMD performs quite admirably against Intel.

johnmarkzimm
April 15th, 2012, 12:58 AM
D#mn, now I may have to look at the AMD CPUs... I can get allot more for my buck with AMD.

QIII
April 15th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Check out phoronix.com reviews as you narrow down your search. They don't pull punches.

Don't be bound by AMD/Intel and "which is best" arguments.

Your choice should be based on what is best to suit your needs and budget.

johnmarkzimm
April 15th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Check out phoronix.com reviews as you narrow down your search. They don't pull punches.

Don't be bound by AMD/Intel and "which is best" arguments.

Your choice should be based on what is best to suit your needs and budget.

Wow, that is quite a site, thanx.

dnewkirk
April 15th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Having both Intel and AMD processors, I think you'll find that both work just fine for every day things. It is true that Intel processors will be faster, especially in floating point calculations when compared to the newer AMD FX processors (at least when running Matlab and some Python/Scipy-based code, optimization is still in the early days for the FX processors). Get what is affordable though, you'll not likely have any issues. Any of the i7, FX, or older Phenom II processors work just fine with Precise.

cariboo
April 15th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a Precise specific question.

sandyd
April 15th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Generally, if your using integrated graphics, Intel > AMD.

Not in raw performance, but in performance that the linux drivers can deliver.

Bandit
April 15th, 2012, 05:07 AM

An intel chip would run better with the kernel; an i5 or higher would be ideal, but is not necessary. Ubuntu 12.04 performs pretty well on lower-end processors.

With all the bugs in the intel chipsets I find these statements to be totally without merit.

I have yet to see any issues with the AMD Chipsets, they are rock solid.

CharlesA
April 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I have yet to see any issues with the AMD Chipsets, they are rock solid.

Same. I've run *nix off AMD and Intel and they seem about the same to me.

Bandit
April 15th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Same. I've run *nix off AMD and Intel and they seem about the same to me.

Agreed and the Sandy Bridge bugs were not linux directed as well but hardware issues in themself.

mips
April 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Linux runs just fine on both Intel & AMD CPUs.

For a GPU I would pick nVidia though.