PDA

View Full Version : Ars Technica... Attack page?

Dry Lips
April 10th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I got this message when I tried to access Ars Technica through Firefox...

Reported Attack Page!
This web page at arstechnica.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Do you get the same message?

http://arstechnica.com/

wojox
April 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm on Windows 7 right now and loaded the page in Firefox. No message here.

Erik1984
April 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I get the message. FF 11.0 Kubuntu.

Ms. Daisy
April 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Curiosity killed the cat...

I got the message too, using firefox on Ubuntu. I can't find anything in the news about it.

CharlesA
April 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Curiosity killed the cat...

I got the message too, using firefox on Ubuntu. I can't find anything in the news about it.
Same here. Firefox on Win7.

Here's what it lists as the reasons it was reported:

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://arstechnica.com/

Diagnostic page for arstechnica.com

What is the current listing status for arstechnica.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 463 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-04-10, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.

Malicious software includes 2 scripting exploit(s).

This site was hosted on 7 network(s) including AS23352 (SERVERCENTRAL), AS30081 (CACHENETWORKS), AS15224 (OMNITURE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, arstechnica.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Next steps:

Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Sounds like a false positive to me.

Dry Lips
April 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
The strange thing here is that when I click at the "why was this page blocked" button,
I get this response:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for arstechnica.com

What is the current listing status for arstechnica.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.Tried using XP with Firefox, and I got no such message. There is something fishy here... :/
(I'm currently running Firefox 11 in Ubuntu 11.04.)

---
edit:

CharlesA beat me to it!

---

Edit 2:
I installed Chrome in XP, and now I get a warning in Chrome as well... But not in Chromium...

---

Edit 3: After deleting the Cache in FF/XP I get this message in FF/XP as well...

CharlesA
April 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Makes me happy I'm running NoScript. ;)

pookiebear
April 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
got the attack page. ars was one of my home pages. it was not doing it before noon eastern time.

Wolvenmoon
April 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just got this message as well. I googled it and this forum post is at the top of the list of results

My results replicate what CharlesA is reporting.

"Why was this page blocked" points to http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://arstechnica.com/ which claims there are 2 scripting exploits present.

Dry Lips
April 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM

I run NoScript in FF/Ubuntu, but I had Ars Technica whitelisted :-| If even your trusted sites has exploits, what can you do?

Toz
April 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM
They are tweeting the following:

Many users are reporting that you;re receiving malware warnings on Ars. We are trying to get these removed. You may ignore it.

We're aware of the malware warnings that some browsers are reporting on the site. Working on it; should be clearing up soon.

CharlesA
April 10th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I run NoScript in FF/Ubuntu, but I had Ars Technica whitelisted :-| If even your trusted sites has exploits, what can you do?
Panic of course! ;)

Thanks Toz. :)

Dry Lips
April 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM
They are tweeting the following:

Hey, you are spoiling all the fun here... ;)

Ms. Daisy
April 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Panic of course! ;)
LOL :lol:

Erik1984
April 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM

I run it too but I've allowed scripts from arstechnica (all scripts from the arstechnica.com domain that is).

Dry Lips
April 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM
The warning has been removed... I guess life goes back to normal now, or what?

lovinglinux
April 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM

When you allow a site, you don't automatically allow third party scripts. So if the script is disseminated by an ad coming from another source for example, it won't run.