PDA

View Full Version : Best Ubuntu Release

Orcris
April 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately, the poll oly lets me have 10 options, so I can only go back to Hardy, but what has been your favorite Ubuntu release so far?

ratcheer
April 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Up to now, the best for me has been Oneiric. I have high hopes that the release version of Precise will be even better, and I think it will be.

Right now, I have two problems that keep me from saying Precise. 1) Huge memory footprint. My system uses about 760 MB immediately after startup, with no unusual added services. 2) I have not been able to print to my Canon printer, which works just fine with Oneiric and my son's Apple Macbook Pro (OSX Lion). I can successfully install the driver, but it still does not actually print anything.

Tim

Penguinnerd
April 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Lucid Lynx, all the way!

Light on resources, (relatively speaking) very configurable, it was the first release that worked on all my various computers, robust. It's everything that I'll ever want in an OS. Period.

I started with 6.06 and have tried all the newer ones including the current 12.04 beta. Nothing comes close for me.

It's "simple, but polished". That's ideal. We're seeing too much of "polished, but bloated" these days.

santosh83
April 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Lucid Lynx, all the way!

Light on resources, (relatively speaking) very configurable, it was the first release that worked on all my various computers, robust. It's everything that I'll ever want in an OS. Period.

I started with 6.06 and have tried all the newer ones including the current 12.04 beta. Nothing comes close for me.

It's "simple, but polished". That's ideal. We're seeing too much of "polished, but bloated" these days.

Well put!

My favourite is Maverick, though to be honest, I haven't tried all the releases ― only Dapper, Jaunty and Maverick. Similar to Lucid, I feel Maverick is lean yet polished, and very solid.

Ms. Daisy
April 10th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I've only used Natty & Oneiric, neither of which were LTS. Well wait... I've got 10.04 in a VM that I rarely open, so I don't think that really counts. I'll wait to reserve my judgement until I give 12.04 a proper try.

terrykiwi83
April 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
12.04 for me! Upgraded last week from 11.10 to the 12.04 beta and its far more stable than my 11.10 was. :)

wojox
April 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
View Poll Results: What is the best release up to Precise?

If it's up to Precise then why include it?

9.04 Jaunty was great. Back before plymouth, gnome-shell, unity ....

pookiebear
April 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
10.04 lts still using it.

dniMretsaM
April 10th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'll wait to vote until Precise is released. But of the three releases I've been around for, 11.10 has been the best.

forrestcupp
April 10th, 2012, 09:42 PM
My favorite was Hoary Hedgehog because that was the first time I found a distribution of Linux that worked very easily on my system.

I voted for Oneiric as the best, though. I'm using Precise right now, and I love it. But I couldn't vote for it because I've run into some issues with Wine in Precise that I know is not Wine's fault. I suspect it has to do with the brand new Multiarch that they decided to introduce in an LTS release. I don't think Multiarch mixes well with Wine.

So even though I'm loving Precise in all other areas, I had to vote for Oneiric. I like Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell too much to vote for something earlier.

alexfish
April 10th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Voted Natty

But will be Down Loading Precise mainly for the Kernel + Unity

Keeping Natty For Obvious reasons>>> Versatile + there is a lot on it ,, all and everything from Hardy

Rodney9
April 11th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2 the best so far.

LinuxFan999
April 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I think Ubuntu 12.04 is the best.

linuxyogi
April 11th, 2012, 12:57 AM
For me it was Jaunty. Coz it detected my sound hardware perfectly.

Bandit
April 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Lucid Lynx IMHO was the best..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Le_fX_5z3tc/SzZ4H675zfI/AAAAAAAAA3U/hO_6EbwsEAU/s200/TraditionalBubbleCaseBadge-LucidLynx-GOLD-BlackMetalic-200px.png

wolfen69
April 11th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Where's the option for all of them? They are all the best to me.

zymm
August 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
After year and half of searching .. Maverick is the answer for me :popcorn:

Erik1984
August 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I can now say (after a clean install of the recent point release) that Precise is the best installation experience, followed by Ubuntu Natty. Everything worked right out of the box on the first reboot after install. MP3 was there, flv and other media formats, even the proprietary Nvidia-driver was in place (sadly the 173 version so I had to select current, which costed another reboot ;) ) and for the first time in years I did not have to touch the boot options! (before I always needed nomodeset). Most important this is my first reinstall of Linux in a dual-boot setup and grub saw W7 without a problem and made a proper entry for it. This was already setup ok in Oneiric but as I wiped and replaced that install I was a bit worried that dual-boot would not work the same as before. I could also utilize the existence of a separate data partition for the first time and man that's nice to have! No more tedious copying of music, video etc. from my external drive.

jfmd
August 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Dapper was my first Ubuntu distro, and I've tried each one after for at least 3 months each and I stuck with Hardy for about a year. Precise so far has been my favorite. What I like about 12.04 is the polish. I know alot of people don't like Unity, but I think this is Ubuntu's best release yet. =D>

stalkingwolf
August 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
My first was 6.06. Used Pure Ubuntu until 10.04. Changes to super OS at 10.04 . Started to have issues with updates. Changed to Zorin. I currently use UE 3.01 as my primary and Zorin as back up. I have tried many others , among them Mint, Bodhi, and several others. All had +s and - for me .

So UE and zorin seem for now to fill the bill.

Erik1984
August 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
My first was 6.06. Used Pure Ubuntu until 10.04. Changes to super OS at 10.04 . Started to have issues with updates. Changed to Zorin. I currently use UE 3.01 as my primary and Zorin as back up. I have tried many others , among them Mint, Bodhi, and several others. All had +s and - for me .

So UE and zorin seem for now to fill the bill.

What is UE? :oops:

angry_johnnie
August 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
7.04 - Feisty Fawn - was the first Ubuntu release I installed, liked, and kept. I would call it the best, but it's probably not a very objective judgement. I have fond memories of it, and whatever didn't work has been forgotten.

My first impression on 7.04 was that it was ugly as hell, and I got away from brown as quickly as possible. By 8.04, Hardy Heron, I'd changed my mind about the color scheme, and actually liked the default look. It was an acquired taste, I guess. I don't particularly like the new look.

Feelings aside, I guess the most stable and reliable Unbuntu release I've used was 10.04, Lucid Lynx. Everything just worked somehow. That was nice. Boring, but nice. :) I haven't liked anything since Unity/Gnome-shell.

Swagman
August 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Maverick Meerkat

Everything worked hunky dory and it had a kewl name !!

mr john
August 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM
For me either Breezy Badger or Dapper drake. I'll say Breezy because that was my first, it got me hooked and i liked the boot screen. Now I'm torn between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
i liked jaunty jackalope
used jaunty, lucid,precise
only started with precise in the past couple days, and had do do a lot of system mods to get my self happy with it
seems to require more and more mods with every release

bjeff2010
August 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
12.04! So far I love Precise and the Unity Desktop!

Jakin
August 28th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Maverick to Natty to Oneiric were all rock solid for me; Regardless what DE i chose, or the amount of DE sessions i ultimately added.

12.04 though, has major issues on the same hardware i have used since 10.04...
Everyone who is saying Precise is the best release, must have spot on hardware or something. Though i have heard that Ati drivers/cards have been a cause of this, so i am looking into a Nvidia.

pissedoffdude
August 29th, 2012, 01:31 AM
I'd have to say Feisty Fawn was the best in terms of how much it improved on previous releases. It was always a hassle to manually install the w32codecs to get videos playing perfectly.

That and installing video drivers to get beryl or compiz running was also a pain. I remember breaking X so many times in doing so, lol. And I hated turning to third party programs like Automatix and Easy Ubuntu to get basic stuff like this done, so when Feisty Fawn came out with a built-in codec finder, the restricted drivers manager, and an option to enable compiz, I was totally impressed.

jsland
August 29th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Lucid worked very well with few hassles.

Precise has basic issues like the speaker volume being ridiculously loud after boot up. Volume control has to be adjusted to reset the levels.

Printing to an older HP most often wastes 4 pages printing header info before the page intended actually prints. This is a bug and has not been fixed yet.

Buntu Bunny
August 29th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I'd have to say Lucid but I've only tried 3 really, Hardy, Lucid, and now Precise. Oh wait, I did work my way up through Intrepid, Jaunty, and Karmic in an upgrade from Hardy to Lucid. I really wanted to like Precise, but it's too different and hasn't proven to be very configurable. Fortunately alternative DEs can be installed to make it better.

vexorian
August 29th, 2012, 02:53 AM

Unity is beginning to Grow the beard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard)
I am having great performance in 64 bit. When compared to contemporary OS, 700 MB of RAM is negligible. But it does not matter that much because:
gnome3, classic gnome, mate, cinnamon, xcfe, lxde. We have never had this much choice.

The best is yet to come.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
gnome3, classic gnome, mate, cinnamon, xcfe, lxde. We have never had this much choice.
you forgot kde

MadmanRB
August 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I say probably 10.04, no Unity, no limitations.

vexorian
August 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
10.04 had terrible pulse audio.

you forgot kde
Or did I?

Frogs Hair
August 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
For me, the best Gnome 2 release was 10.10. 12.04 is the best Unity release so far.

mamamia88
August 29th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I really like the latest 12.04 but unfortunately i moved to arch because i was always curious and just had to find out what the big deal was. Also I'm broke after a car accident and will be for the forseeable future. So i wanted a distro that provided nothing i didn't need so i don't need a new computer.