PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Little Secrets

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM
OK -- I started a thread about rock-n-roll. I threw in my (...) opinion and challenged y'all to find a more rockin' tune.

This morning my one-true-love asked me to get "Rock Lobster" (B-52's). SHe thinks it's *cough* good music *cough*. THat's ok -- we're talking about opinions here.

I play jazz, blues, and rock on my bass...I like it hard, fast, loud and damned funky....but I have a dirty little secret. One that my one-true-love likes to throw in my face when I tell her "Rock Lobster" is "gay".

I like "Faith" by George Michael. I don't just like it - I freakin' love it!

THis thread doesn't have to stay about music, either. We all have dirty little secrets....I was the first brave one to reveal mine (musically, that is).

Ha ha brave, my **** - I play an instrument -- I'm SUPPOSED to have varied tastes. Whatever!

Please don't tell us that you're in NAMBLA. That's one dirty little secret that you should keep to yourself.

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I like "Faith" by George Michael. I don't just like it - I freakin' love it!

Hehehe no comment I'm spechless :roll:

Lovechild
March 12th, 2005, 08:02 PM
You remember those sad Startrek fans who think the trek universe is real.. well I'm not one of those, but I do have a disturbing obsession with the Harry Potter books.

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Hehehe no comment I'm spechless :roll:

Step up.

Bilko
March 12th, 2005, 08:17 PM
You remember those sad Startrek fans who think the trek universe is real.. well I'm not one of those, but I do have a disturbing obsession with the Harry Potter books.

Not .. real ..

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Not .. real ..
rofl lmao mdr .

Welcome to the forums btw but lol .

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Hey, that's a good song! Even more than that, George Michael is pretty freakin' talented (as a musician, of course, I wouldn't know about any OTHER talents he may have).

The Harry Potter books are also incredible. I'm hardly obsessed with them, but they're good.

I'll step up:
Michael Jackson used to be my favorite music on the planet.
Not anymore, but I still think it's good. Everything pre-92 anyway

Lovechild
March 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Not .. real ..

Let me get this right, you registered for that?

and people call me disturbed?

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Ok for me it's Tom Jones and Johnny River, still have a soft spot for them .

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Ok for me it's Tom Jones and Johnny River, still have a soft spot for them .

What's wrong with Tom Jones? Sure, it's primarily "copa cabana" stuff - but c'mon...Tom Jones!

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM
What's wrong with Tom Jones? Sure, it's primarily "copa cabana" stuff - but c'mon...Tom Jones!

Well once in a while I play it at some of the bash I do once in a while and the reception was never good, wtf you doing they used to say but the good side was all the girls loved it hehehe you know the rest....

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Tom Jones rocks hard (not in the literal sense, like AC/DC, etc), though I can never hear him without thinking about Carlton's dance on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Once, at band camp....

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Once, at band camp....
Ha! Yeah, I went to band camp for 5 years (8 if you include the 3 summers AFTER high school I went back to help out-- now that was a fun switch) and NOTHING like that ever happened.

Though my best friend (http://band.moneyburger.com/images/recording/14.jpg) did enter the talent show once-- his talent: to sniff valve oil and blow milk out his nose. No. He sniffed valve oil and then proceeded to cough and spit all over everyone in the front row-- unintentionally. This was a few years before we became friends, by the way. At this point I thought it was some weirdo annoying kid (and he was), but now he's my absolute best friend, except for my fiancee (http://band.moneyburger.com/images/recording/21.jpg) of course. The three of us formed a band (http://band.moneyburger.com/) (and we'll soon be getting back together), when he went to college we roomed together... He grew up to be a little less "out there"-- no sniffing valve oil anymore. But he's still a weirdo. Really, who am I to talk?

Also at band camp the girl I was dating at the time and her "best friend" got into a pretty serious fight because she thought her friend was trying to steal me away from her.

That's about as exciting as it gets at your average Southwest Virginia band camp.

See? Band camp stories aren't nearly as juicy as American Pie would have us believe.

mark
March 13th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Dirty little (music) secrets: I still like The Ventures; the last (rock) concert I attended was Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Atlanta, GA, 1972; I think Gordon Lightfoot's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of the finest popular songs ever written.

Dirty little (literary) secrets: I just read (and really enjoyed) Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation; I re-read J.R.R. Tolkien's LOTR about once a year; I'm sorry that David Weber already told pretty much everything about Honor Harrington (I'd like to read more about her!).

Dirty little (none of the above) secrets: I once sent my resume to Microsoft (hey, it was the mid-late '80s, I thought Bill and I could work it out); I will not play "winter rules" or "preferred lies" in golf; MaryJane Yablonski (not her real name) - no, I still can't talk about it...

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Ha! Yeah, I went to band camp for 5 years (8 if you include the 3 summers AFTER high school I went back to help out-- now that was a fun switch) and NOTHING like that ever happened.

Though my best friend (http://band.moneyburger.com/images/recording/14.jpg) did enter the talent show once-- his talent: to sniff valve oil and blow milk out his nose. No. He sniffed valve oil and then proceeded to cough and spit all over everyone in the front row-- unintentionally. This was a few years before we became friends, by the way. At this point I thought it was some weirdo annoying kid (and he was), but now he's my absolute best friend, except for my fiancee (http://band.moneyburger.com/images/recording/21.jpg) of course. The three of us formed a band (http://band.moneyburger.com/) (and we'll soon be getting back together), when he went to college we roomed together... He grew up to be a little less "out there"-- no sniffing valve oil anymore. But he's still a weirdo. Really, who am I to talk?

Also at band camp the girl I was dating at the time and her "best friend" got into a pretty serious fight because she thought her friend was trying to steal me away from her.

That's about as exciting as it gets at your average Southwest Virginia band camp.

See? Band camp stories aren't nearly as juicy as American Pie would have us believe.
Is this XP I see in the background (http://band.moneyburger.com/images/recording/21.jpg)? :-P

Burn him townsmen , hes a Mutant !!!

kidding :P

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Not my house, Andrew's *L*
And I didn't know at the time that Linux was such an amazing audio platform.
But even if I did, it took a year to convince him to use Firefox. I don't see him wanting to touch Linux any time soon. Though he did once, for about 15 minutes, just because he didn't want to worry about Windows prices, but after 15 minutes he said "alright this sucks, help me get rid of it." Andrew doesn't like things to change on his PC. Understandable, but I've never been like that.

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Not my house, Andrew's *L*
And I didn't know at the time that Linux was such an amazing audio platform.
But even if I did, it took a year to convince him to use Firefox. I don't see him wanting to touch Linux any time soon. Though he did once, for about 15 minutes, just because he didn't want to worry about Windows prices, but after 15 minutes he said "alright this sucks, help me get rid of it." Andrew doesn't like things to change on his PC. Understandable, but I've never been like that.
Oh boy do I wish I could convince my brother to use Linux . I have done the impossible!
I have showd him KDE, I have showed him how cool it is, how secure it is in comparison, how cool it is [again], how easy yet hard/cool [x3] it is. I have deleted vital .DLL files from my Linux distro, to make him use it at least until he reinstalls it. I have made him use Xandros for about 3 days [with the method just said + "I lost my XP disc :roll:". And still, no results.

And what, is he a graphic designer, .NET developper? NO. What's his everyday computing use?
1. Computer On./Login
2. MSN Messenger/ Internet Explorer :o
3. Bittornado > Torrent site > MP3s
4. Nero
5. Shutdown ...

And now I fall right back into a little secret if he knew he would break my arms, legs and make me squeal like a Pig with no food for 2 weeks [the dude is a Jujutsu Teacher for the Police Agency that deals with Narcotics and for the "Special Occasions" team in my country...] : Every *once in a while*, I'd say every 3 or 4 weeks -or just when I'm mad at him-, something takes over me and I copy a virus or whatever or just delete vital files that would make his XP shatter. He saves all his stuff in My Documents so if he doesnt have backup by that time ... bye bye.

This may sound silly but I could really get hurt should he ever figure this out.

Yukonjack
March 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM
And now I fall right back into a little secret if he knew he would break my arms, legs and make me squeal like a Pig with no food for 2 weeks [the dude is a Jujutsu Teacher for the Police Agency that deals with Narcotics and for the "Special Occasions" team in my country...] : Every *once in a while*, I'd say every 3 or 4 weeks -or just when I'm mad at him-, something takes over me and I copy a virus or whatever or just delete vital files that would make his XP shatter. He saves all his stuff in My Documents so if he doesnt have backup by that time ... bye bye.
This may sound silly but I could really get hurt should he ever figure this out.

Too funny :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM
So why the crap did you post it on the forums?

Seriously, you should probably stop that! I'm all for converting people, but that's just not right.

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Seriously, you should probably stop that!

I know :? Its just that when you see him all macho and stuff you think "ohh scary", but when his XP breaks ... "who you gonna call ? Ghostbusters!" *that's me stepping in right there*

landotter
March 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
This morning my one-true-love asked me to get "Rock Lobster" (B-52's). SHe thinks it's *cough* good music *cough*.

. One that my one-true-love likes to throw in my face when I tell her "Rock Lobster" is "gay".

Please don't tell us that you're in NAMBLA. That's one dirty little secret that you should keep to yourself.

You should be so lucky that the B-52s walk this earth--much modern rock music is endebted to them believe it or not.

Enough with the casual homophobia. Yeah, I noticed.

jeremy
March 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM
One of my dirty little secrets is that I do not like the B-52's, another is that, generally, I do not like rock music.
I do like that Art Ensemble of Chicago and think that much modern rock music is 'endebted' to them!

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Enough with the casual homophobia. Yeah, I noticed.

Man, you're way off....but know this - I'm old school. This means that --->link PC (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19710) can take a flying leap.

If you don't like me knocking NAMBLA - well -- too bad. I don't knock homo sexuality - I could care less where you put your brain.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but you probably don't want to go rounds with me - especially on your interpretation of a sentence I wrote in a thread on some board.

Cheer up. It's Sunday - be happy.

mark
March 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Oh boy do I wish I could convince my brother to use Linux . I have done the impossible!
I have showd him KDE, I have showed him how cool it is, how secure it is in comparison, how cool it is [again], how easy yet hard/cool [x3] it is. I have deleted vital .DLL files from my Linux distro, to make him use it at least until he reinstalls it. I have made him use Xandros for about 3 days [with the method just said + "I lost my XP disc :roll:". And still, no results.

And what, is he a graphic designer, .NET developper? NO. What's his everyday computing use?
1. Computer On./Login
2. MSN Messenger/ Internet Explorer :o
3. Bittornado > Torrent site > MP3s
4. Nero
5. Shutdown ...

NOT funny.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Homophobia? No.

NAMBLA is pedophilia. Big difference.

landotter
March 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM
listen up, I'm not on about NAMBLA, I'm sick of the word "gay" being used to dismiss things.

It's become quite common these days, especially in England.

Instead of saying something "sucks" the new slang is calling it "gay".

Sad.

Especially here in the US, where 40 years of post civil-rights have built up so much tension and a need to hate that finally the steam has escaped the valve and we're obsessed about depriving gays of rights instead of providing quality healthcare and education for all.

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19710

I started this thread for you. I adore your ability to be "shocked", "outraged" , "moved" by words.

As I am equally disheartened that you chose to ignore the quotes.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 05:45 PM
OK that makes more sense.

But yes, the "gay" is in quotes, I think as a segue into George Michael.

I despise using "gay" as an adjective to mean "bad" or "stupid" or whatever. Not because it's not PC, just because it has nothing to do with being gay, and it makes no sense to associate the tow. And nobody (at least, no heterosexual) wants homosexual to have the rights they deserve more than I do, I just think that this may be a misunderstanding. I took it to mean that since "gay" was in quotes, he's not really calling it gay as such, and maybe didn't call it gay to begin with when talking to his wife.

I'm just trying to play mediator here, so there's no dissent in the ranks ;) But really, I think it's all in lack of clarity and misreading.

machiner
March 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Remember when "gay" meant happy??

Regardless, panicked, you're older than your years.

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Why thank you ;) And here I thought I was only 23!
No, really, that's kinda plagued me for years. Not bragging (because it kinda sucked) I was always more emotionally and mentally mature than my peers, so while they were all out smoking pot and getting drunk and having stupid relationships that meant nothing to them but sex, I was out singing, writing, reading, playing music, and any relationship I had I wanted for the companionship, so needless to say that didn't help me move beyond my outcast status.

But thank you, I do take it as a compliment :)

Yukonjack
March 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Yeah I remember and still use it today. Like you said old school and that I am :wink:

Noel Cower
March 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Regardless, panicked, you're older than your years.
Let's see, keeping on-topic, trying to think of a dirty little secret...

Hm... I once stole five bucks from my brother. Nah, not dirty enough.

*bashes head on desk in an attempt to find something*

One time I, knowingly, ran around a historical site naked.

Rotarychainsaw
March 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
listen up, I'm not on about NAMBLA, I'm sick of the word "gay" being used to dismiss things.

It's become quite common these days, especially in England.

Instead of saying something "sucks" the new slang is calling it "gay".

Sad.

Especially here in the US, where 40 years of post civil-rights have built up so much tension and a need to hate that finally the steam has escaped the valve and we're obsessed about depriving gays of rights instead of providing quality healthcare and education for all.

Man, England is WAY behind the times.

My Secret.
I once killed a homeless man to see what it would be like.

I'm kidding of course. lol

jakeslife
March 13th, 2005, 09:27 PM
while they were all out smoking pot and getting drunk and having stupid relationships that meant nothing to them but sex

I hear ya. I am 22, and like guys (I hate to use the word gay because of the connotations that come along with it--that, and I don't consider myself "gay"). Here, the community is all about sex and partying and drugs and going out every night to get trashed and see who they can go home with.

So anyways, a dirty little secret...something besides the fact I dig guys, which most here know I'm sure...trying to keep it clean, safe for five year olds to read...yeah, that gets rid of most things.

WAIT!

I have an "On Patrol" CD that is filled with mostly hardcore rap, Janet Jackson, or weird stuff that I like listening to. I have to turn it down when we roll up on someone. I'd hate for someone to hear all this stuff about bitches and hos blasting from my cruiser.

bored2k
March 13th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I have an "On Patrol" CD that is filled with mostly hardcore rap, Janet Jackson, or weird stuff that I like listening to. I have to turn it down when we roll up on someone. I'd hate for someone to hear all this stuff about b!@tches and hos blasting from my cruiser.

ROFL. "Ghetto" police men ha !

TravisNewman
March 13th, 2005, 09:44 PM
*LOL* Seriously, I know quite a few cops, but I don't know ANY homosexual cops (except possibly Lt. Dangle on Reno 911!), much less a homosexual cop who listens to hardcore rap. How diverse can one person get?

Basically what I'm trying to say: You rock. You rock hard.

jakeslife
March 14th, 2005, 02:51 AM
That's quite refreshing. Most of the time people are like, "F*ck da fags, f*ck da police!"

It rarely shows at work, but sometimes I'll have a.....moment. Like in field training during a vehicle pursuit I yelped when we rocketed over a bump.

TravisNewman
March 14th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I don't care for most of the cops around here, because there are SO MANY of them, they pull you over for anything. I got pulled over twice in 1 mile for having my license plate light out. But cops are necessary and they rock hard. They have to do something I know I wouldn't do. The fact that you've easily broken the mold when it comes to typical cops, and you still do the job well, and still openly and proudly announce that you "dig guys" is very admirable.

I'm just full of praise today

kassetra
March 14th, 2005, 02:58 AM
That's quite refreshing. Most of the time people are like, "F*ck da fags, f*ck da police!"

It rarely shows at work, but sometimes I'll have a.....moment. Like in field training during a vehicle pursuit I yelped when we rocketed over a bump.

Well, *I* think you're awesome and funny funny funny.
Gotta love any cop that has to turn THEIR MUSIC DOWN!

*SNICKER*

senorcheaposgato
March 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
So yeah, this is my belated post. I'm a little behind, as the last one was 4 days ago...but hey, I'm ok with that. Sure I am...I'm oooook.

Anywho, dirty little secrets...hmm...well, ok. Here we go.

I play bass and sing (sometimes) in one hard-rockin' band. Well, I don't know if I'd call us HARD rockin', but that's not really the point. I think I listen to some good stuff--Cowboy Mouth, Ben Folds (Five), The Presidents of the USA, Ani D., Dar Williams, Lisa Loeb--I think it's a good (eclectic) mix of stuff.

So here's the secret:

I love a capella. I really, really love it. I love it a little too much, you know? Man, now I feel ashamed. Oh, and I also have a lot of DCI shows on my playlist. But if you know what DCI is, you'll think that's cool, at least.

Alright, it's out. Stone me, burn me at the stake, do what you will...I deserve it!