PDA

View Full Version : Unity poster (feedback please)

keithpeter
April 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hello testers

29th April: Corrected versions (thanks to Paddy Landau)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2smkwf8cvuid7vz/1204-poster-5.odp

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/nemk8iz5obbkyz8/K7lchxsV38/1204-poster-5.pdf

The version on Spreadubuntu (has a small but annoying error - we are trying to have the file swapped)

http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/brochure/1204-poster

Original versions

Version 2
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-3.pdf

Version 3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-4.pdf

Imagine you have just come back to work one Monday morning. You remember vaguely the IT manager said something about an upgrade over the weekend. You log in and you see the 12.04 desktop instead of the 10.04 one.

Would this poster (an early draft) get you going?

Anything missing?

Do you think I should make accessing the Ubuntu Desktop Guide more prominent? (Search me why it isn't in the Launcher to start with, its excellent).

All feedback about the poster welcome.

(There is no point complaining about Unity, what we got now is what the LTS -> LTS folk are going to get as default).

oboedad55
April 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Looks great Keith! I tried Unity when it first came out but couldn't stand it. On 12.04 it seems quite a bit better. Thanks for the poster.

rtalcott
April 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I agree....very nice...I am going to forward this on to a few people that will definitely find it useful!

rt

Megaptera
April 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM
That's really helpful - thanks!

ubuntu27
April 9th, 2012, 11:40 PM
How about adding that you can navigate the Dash with your keyboard? Specifically, that you can use the Arrow keys and Enter

EDIT: The most important! Unity Keyboard shortcuts are displayed when pressing the Super (a.k.a. meta, windows key) for a few seconds

mcellius
April 10th, 2012, 12:24 AM
It'll certainly help people get over the surprise of arriving to a new desktop. Giving a few pointers to help at the beginning is likely to make a big difference. (As always, some will read it and move forward, others will ignore and it and complain that everything is confusing.)

Squonk07
April 10th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Very nice and very professional looking. My inner copy editor says that Unity should probably be capitalized because it's the proper name of the interface and I've always seen it capitalized, but that's just nitpicking. Overall the layout is well organized and the copy is friendly and easy to follow. Putting myself in the situation of a newcomer to the interface I could see this guide being very helpful.

keithpeter
April 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Hello All

Thanks for feedback

@ubuntu27: Windows tap and hold to get the shortcuts overlay certainly; arrows in Dash and HUD possibly, if I can think of a way of fitting it in the space

@Squonk07: Your Inner Editor is absolutely right.

Version 3 will arrive sometime tomorrow (Wednesday)

Can anyone find anything I don't need? Can I cut the workspace switcher section down a bit on the grounds the 10.04 folk will know about workspaces? That would free up a bit of space.

Paddy Landau
April 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
This is great, Keith, well done! You seem to have an eye for simplicity.

In the subsection "Launcher", I would add an arrow to point to the icon that you are using as an example (i.e. Firefox).

May I suggest you submit your final copy to Canonical for inclusion on the download page? Canonical needs more quality items like this.

sammiev
April 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks keithpeter for your hard work, I'm sure it will help many. :)

+1 to Paddy Landau for suggesting you submit your final copy to Canonical for inclusion on the download page.

Paddy Landau
April 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have just seen in the latest Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue260) a rather pertinent comment about the usability problems of Dash (http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/5-problems-with-ubuntu-12-04-part-1-unity-dash-usability-issues/) for the newcomer to Unity.

Hmm...

I think that a post-script to your poster (perhaps a second page?) with a brief list of "how to find" would be an ideal addition.

Or maybe just a link to the Ubuntu On-line Tour (http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/)?

Mr. Picklesworth
April 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Looks good! Nice work.

A few things:

Under Global menu, you say "It is hidden until you mouse over the top bar or press ALT-F10." Isn't Alt-F10 the shortcut to maximize a window? I think you mean just F10, or Alt, but not both at once.
Completely unimportant, but under HUD you have "See Desktop Guide" while under Launcher you have "See the Desktop Guide."
I like that you're promoting the desktop guide in this. Offline help has improved tremendously since the last LTS, and it deserves the attention at this point.
Just so you know, the top bar is called the "menu bar." That wasn't being used consistently in 11.10, but that's being sorted out now. You aren't really doing anything wrong as it is (after all, it is also the bar at the top of the screen as far as any new people are concerned), but you might find that useful if you don't already know :)

Alan F
April 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
A couple of points

1 Unless a guide such as this is kept constantly up-to-date with each version of Unity it would quickly lose favour.

2 Is it not a condemnation of Unity that such basic instructions will be required by many users to find out how to do what should be very simple tasks?

acimi66
April 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
It looks good.

santosh83
April 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
2 Is it not a condemnation of Unity that such basic instructions will be required by many users to find out how to do what should be very simple tasks?

Not on that score. Unity looks to have it's share of bad points, but the necessity for basic instructions isn't one of them IMO. It just means it's different from the existing desktop paradigm, just like most big advancements in any field are likely to be quite different from their forerunners!

What is worrying though is, from reading these forums, I'm getting an impression that Unity is designed to discourage customisation and fine-grained configuration for the sake of uniformity and being idiot-proof. Lack of configurability might be fine (indeed advisable) for a tablet/smartphone interface, but surely not on desktops! :-(

keithpeter
April 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hello All

Thanks for feedback, below is the link for version 2 of the poster.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-3.pdf

(Yes, the file name has a 3 in it, don't ask :twisted:)

Specific changes/feedback

@ubuntu27: Press and hold Windows/Super/Meta/Mod4 key shows the lovely keyboard shortcut screen on my large monitor on the PC but not on the netbook (1024 by 600). Is that just my netbook? Can anyone else confirm different behaviour on small screens? I'm also going to have to decide on what I call the key that is usually between the Alt and the Ctrl

@Paddy Landau: I'll read that link properly and perhaps devise a 'side b'. Thanks very much for sharing the article. I'll pop the online demo link in when I change the terminology over the weekend.

@Mr. Picklesworth: On all my systems, Alt-F10 does the same as F10, but to be on the safe side, I have used F10. I am using a UK keyboard. I'll have a think about what I call the thingy at the top over the weekend, I think I will need to support the conventions used in the documentation that Canonical provide as they emerge. I have rendered references to the Desktop Guide consistent. Thanks for proof reading here, very valuable.

@Alan F: I take point 1. This is specifically a guide for 10.04 -> 12.04 people. I'm interpreting the concept of an 'interface freeze' in 12.04 to mean the affordances provided by Unity now are what will be provided for the whole life of 12.04. I'm sure future Ubuntu cycles will develop those affordances, but I'm assuming that they will not automatically arrive in the LTS installation. Point 2 has been answered well by santosh83. Omlettes, eggs &c

jerrylamos
April 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Imagine you have just come back to work one Monday morning. You remember vaguely the IT manager said something about an upgrade over the weekend. You log in and you see the 12.04 desktop instead of the 10.04 one.

Do you think I should make accessing the Ubuntu Desktop Guide more prominent? (Search me why it isn't in the Launcher to start with, its excellent).

I sure DON'T care for the BIG PURPLE SPLAT right in the middle. I've been on ubuntu (and some other linux since Dapper Drake Beta). Clearly takes the cake as the WORST. No idea what impression Mr. Shuttleworth is trying to convey.

Jerry

p.s. I am able to "use" Unity-2D. Certainly is a big relief when I switch to lubuntu or lynx or meerkat to do some utility work. Haven't tried xubuntu lately since I like lubuntu just fine. I presume development will drop lubuntu because it doesn't look like a smartphone or apple ipad with all their limitations.

Paddy Landau
April 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I'm also going to have to decide on what I call the key that is usually between the Alt and the Ctrl
The name is "Super". After some discussion a long time ago, the wording tends to be "The Super (or Windows) key" or some variation thereof. Does anyone know what it is called on a Mac?

Perhaps you could use wording like: 'Windows or Mac ("Super") key'. Or call it the Super key and use an asterisk with a footnote: "The Super key is the Windows or Mac key".

On all my systems, Alt-F10 does the same as F10
On my system, Alt-F10 toggles between maximise and restore. I also have a UK keyboard.

You've created a brilliant poster, Keith. Canonical needs more simple design ideas like this. Thank you for your contribution.

Paddy Landau
April 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I sure DON'T care for the BIG PURPLE SPLAT right in the middle. I've been on ubuntu (and some other linux since Dapper Drake Beta). Clearly takes the cake as the WORST. No idea what impression Mr. Shuttleworth is trying to convey.
Purple is the new branding for Ubuntu. I personally feel that it is a poor choice -- calm blue, I think, would have been better, but it's what it is. It works well on a TV, though, I find.

JHCKX
April 11th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Won't you get questions about how to launch apps that aren't on the launcher? That's a weak point in Unity in my opinion, too much clicking just to get some work done.

Sure you won't switch to Gnome-classic? A lot less to explain that way.

kansasnoob
April 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I like it :guitar:

ld114
April 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Very good poster indeed. Wish I had seen it when I first saw Unity.

I'm slightly worried that your LTS people might all find it an enormous jump from the Gnome 2 in 10.04 to the Unity of 12.04, regardless how good it is turning out to be. If there is anyone who just can't handle it, are they going to get the choice of using gnome_panel (pretty much the same as Gnome 2 in 10.04)? I sometimes switch back to it and it is good to have the choice.

Will the installation also include MyUnity so that things like Show Desktop and hide the launcher are available? The poster might mention it?

freechelmi
April 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Great Work, This is a must have for all Unity beginners.

i'd like to translate it to french, will to share the odt source ?

kansasnoob
April 11th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I liked it so much I shared it with the Unity design team:

https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg08978.html

I hope you don't mind.

asadmalik
April 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Its good. Provides a good amount of info on unity.
I will let my dad read this. Hope it helps him :p
Thanks.

prana
April 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Great job!

Perfect for introducing my mom to Ubuntu 12.04.

Don't have any feedback yet because I am too used to the interface but my mom may provide that once she starts using Unity.

madjr
April 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
very nice work.

hey i think you can also help with the ubuntu desktop guide, or documentation team.

keithpeter
April 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hello All

Thanks for feedback once again...

@freechelmi:Thats wonderful. Link to ODP below, but I'll be having a rethink on Sunday, so I would not do a lot of work yet unless you want to 'fork' the poster. I would suggest perhaps using the French terminology found in the Ubuntu Desktop Guide for your installation if possible, and it might be worth taking on board Mr Picklesworth's point about 'menu bar' instead of 'top bar'. It strikes me that you may need to re-do a few of the screen shots as well so they are in French. I'm using the 'default' appearance as it ties in with Canonical 'branding'. I'll be using a CC licence on this thing when its finished, so share ODT, do what you want &c, but can you not directly attribute your work to me? 'Modified from' or 'Based on' is great, or just don't worry about attribution at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-3.odp

@JHCKX: I'll reword the Dash section and emphasise that you launch apps not found in the Launcher through the Dash by searching, Thanks for heads up

@Paddy Landau: The windows key: Ubuntu Desktop Guide uses the word 'meta'. Apple keyboard (at least on Ruth's old iBook) has the Alt key where the Windows key is, and an Apple or Option key next to the space bar. I'm seriously thinking of resorting to small photographs in version 3 of the poster. The keyboard thing is odd, I've checked on two computers and several different plug-in keyboards and Alt-F10 just does the same as F10 on all combinations. I'm doing a fresh install in a bit I think.

@jerrylamos and @JHCKX: This isn't about what I like, its about what people out there may have to contend with when the 10.04 -> 12.04 switchover takes place in each site that uses Ubuntu on client machines. Me? I'll probably shuffle back onto dwm/dmenu once 12.04 is bedded in. Imagine doing a poster for dwm :twisted: It would be like that Gnome 4 joke on April 1.

@ld114: I don't support anyone except me, I'm just finding ways of using what skills I have to head off what I think is going to be a lot of noise when 12.04 gets released!

lonniehenry
April 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Paddy - I have a friend who is a mac user and long ago he called it splat for lack of a better name. Now every mac owner he knows calls it that. I think it is funny that it really doesn't have a real distinct name.

Paddy Landau
April 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Paddy - I have a friend who is a mac user and long ago he called it splat for lack of a better name. Now every mac owner he knows calls it that. I think it is funny that it really doesn't have a real distinct name.
That is a lovely name. I have just discovered that it is called the "Command" key.

cariboo
April 11th, 2012, 06:48 PM
In a company I worked the splat key was shift-8. :)

keithpeter
April 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
In a company I worked the splat key was shift-8. :)

I'm not going to say what we used to call shift-6 many years ago (think teletypes) :twisted:

Next version on Sunday am...

acimi66
April 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I like that you added "system settings" to the top right, I was going to suggest that...

If there was somewhere to add "how to add/keep in launcher" that would be useful, yes even though it is pretty simple to do.

Over all I think it 's good.

sffvba[e0rt
April 12th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com (http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/nifty-poster-explains-unity-to-first.html) ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.

sammiev
April 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM
just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com (http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/nifty-poster-explains-unity-to-first.html) ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.

+1 :)

keithpeter
April 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
If there was somewhere to add "how to add/keep in launcher" that would be useful, yes even though it is pretty simple to do

@acimi66: I'm thinking of version 3 being more like a comic strip, with an overview and then some step by step instructions. This is based on feedback here and by pm about people thinking the Dash was about help specifically because of the example I used.

I'll add Launcher add/remove to the list, perhaps as a reference to the Desktop Guide.

Just read about this @ ubuntuvibes.com (http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/nifty-poster-explains-unity-to-first.html) ... Good site that seems to keep a close eye on the forum etc.

@not found: I like the way their post points people back to the Ubuntu Desktop Guide in the article. Paddy Landau's suggestion of a link to the http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/ would be a good one to push as well.

I'm 410 for the rest of the day. Thanks for feedback which is making this simple thing much better.

Paddy Landau
April 12th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Keith, you are becoming famous!

I have just been helping out with (yet another) poster who has landed in trouble downloading files from a website. Your poster would be good not just for converts from 10.04 but also for people new to Ubuntu.

Therefore, I wonder if it would be worth adding a small line somewhere about installing programs? Something to the effect of: "Installing programs is easy! Just head off to the Ubuntu Software Centre. No more downloading from websites!"

Flymo
April 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM
What is worrying though is, from reading these forums, I'm getting an impression that Unity is designed to discourage customisation and fine-grained configuration for the sake of uniformity and being idiot-proof. Lack of configurability might be fine (indeed advisable) for a tablet/smartphone interface, but surely not on desktops! :-(

+1

That has indeed been my own experience.
Sadly, Unity config seems set in cement, at least at the moment.
I do like choice and variety in desktops, the *boxen, KDE3, Gnome2, XFCE, LXDE, the neat Netbook Remix with Mutter/Clutter, even quite like Android (but only on a 'phone).
My favourites include Fluxbox & E17 - I have enjoyed creating some elaborate confections with Fluxbox, and lately have been learning more of E17 via Bodhi Linux.
Unity does 'feel' a bit like Android 2.1 did when I first met it. Probably works OK on a 'phone - except for the obscene bloat.
<sigh>
So the poster is most welcome, It looks most helpful and I will be giving it a go on a live CD.
Thank you!

Paddy Landau
April 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM
... I'm getting an impression that Unity is designed to discourage customisation and fine-grained configuration for the sake of uniformity and being idiot-proof. Lack of configurability might be fine (indeed advisable) for a tablet/smartphone interface, but surely not on desktops! :-(
Depends. Ubuntu is not for the technical expert, but for the "average" user (like me). Just as Windows and Mac limit your customisation to present a more reliable interface (well, supposedly so in Windows until version 7), so Ubuntu would do well to do the same for its intended user-base.

If you want plenty of customisation, I am thinking that Ubuntu is probably not the distro for you, but rather Arch or some other. On the other hand, if you want reliability and long-term support with the option of paid support, and you are more interested in using the computer than customising it, Ubuntu would be your choice (or Red Hat if you if you don't mind paying).

keithpeter
April 14th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hello All

Version 3 of the poster is complete, I'm just getting the local proofreader to go over the text.

Could we keep this thread on topic? Its about a poster designed to help people who use Ubuntu 10.04 and possibly others to migrate to 12.04 Ubuntu LTS with its default Unity interface.

If someone wants to do a Web page/poster/leaflet on how to install the Gnome Classic session that would be ace

Cheers

kansasnoob
April 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hello All

Version 3 of the poster is complete, I'm just getting the local proofreader to go over the text.

Could we keep this thread on topic? Its about a poster designed to help people who use Ubuntu 10.04 and possibly others to migrate to 12.04 Ubuntu LTS with its default Unity interface.

If someone wants to do a Web page/poster/leaflet on how to install the Gnome Classic session that would be ace

Cheers

I'm gaining on my classic (no effects) Precise rendering:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11835822&postcount=389

I need to test, retest, and test some more though ....... and I'm waiting for a couple of PPA's to be updated.

keithpeter
April 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hello All

Here is the third version of the poster. See what you think.

(yes, the file name has a 4 in it, don't ask).

I'll pop the .odt file up after people have had a chance to comment on this one and I've added the changes.

keithpeter
April 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm gaining on my classic (no effects) Precise rendering:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11835822&postcount=389

I need to test, retest, and test some more though ....... and I'm waiting for a couple of PPA's to be updated.

That's great kansasnoob

When its complete, I'll do a fresh install and go through the howto line by line.

Paddy Landau
April 14th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Gosh, Keith, it is looking so good now!

A few small suggestions. This is nit-picking, to make it perfect, because I think you have done a fantastic job.

"You can switch between running apps by clicking on their icons, look for the small triangles." The comma after "icons" should be either a semicolon (";") or an em-dash ("—").

"Right clicking on icons in the Launcher shows a menu of actions." I think this would read more easily as, "Right click icons in the Launcher to show a menu of actions."

"Get an overview of workspaces" > "Using the Keyboard" > "Press Alt-S". Isn't that meant to be Window-S?

Do you think it worth mentioning that you can still access the menu (albeit in a new style)? To access:
Open the Dash, choose Apps icon 216010, and use "Filter results" 216011.

I'm also a bit unsure about using the word "Windows" for the Super key, but I confess that I don't have an idea that uses succinct wording.

keithpeter
April 14th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hello Paddy Landau and all

Good catch on the Alt-S, I must have been asleep.

@all: vote on the word for that key that invokes the dash. Is it the
Windows key?
Meta key? (Meta is the word used in the Desktop Guide)
Super key?
Home key? (A little house icon is what is screen printed onto the Asus EeePC keyboard)

Thanks for a critical eye on the English, I'll action those.

Pseudo-menu: The use of the Apps lens then Filter then click menu category, then find the icons in a funny order I think is a little too much for this top level guide. I'll have a think though...

Keep it coming...

Cheers

Paddy Landau
April 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Good catch on the Alt-S, I must have been asleep.
Or busy ;)

vote on the word...
My vote goes for what the most number of people will understand.

My personal opinion is "Windows key" with an asterisk referring to a footnote, saying something along the lines of, "The Command key on Macs or Super key on Linux."

... find the icons in a funny order...
Good point. The order does seem arbitrary. What about if you simply point out the mini-menu at the bottom of the Dash and leave it at that? People will find Filter results by themselves. The only problem with that is where you would add that information -- it may make your poster too busy. You could add it to the screen-shot on the top left of your poster, with nothing more than an arrow pointing out the "Mini-menu"; but leave it out altogether if it clutters your poster.

ubuntu27
April 15th, 2012, 02:44 AM
@all: vote on the word for that key that invokes the dash. Is it the
Windows key?
Meta key? (Meta is the word used in the Desktop Guide)
Super key?
Home key? (A little house icon is what is screen printed onto the Asus EeePC keyboard)

I call it "Super Key". And my non-geek house members understand when I say "press the Super Key". If this poster is targeted at Ubuntu users who are upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, then I believe that they are familiar with this terminology. It should not be confusing.

You could use "meta key" as well (though, I never encountered any guide that uses this word.. or maybe I did not pay enough attention) specially if it is used in Desktop Guide. Consistency is a good thing.

Hello All

Its about a poster designed to help people who use Ubuntu 10.04 and possibly others to migrate to 12.04 Ubuntu LTS with its default Unity interface.

Again, IMHO since the target audience are not Windows users or new Ubuntu converts, we can avoid using "Windows Key" safely.

jasonsmith01
April 15th, 2012, 07:02 AM
"You can switch between running apps by clicking on their icons, look for the small triangles." The comma after "icons" should be either a semicolon (";") or an em-dash ("—").

I agree about the triangles. My wife just loves them, especially if you're using multiple workplaces and how they turn outlined.

I vote "Super Key" as that's what I think it's called and I'm new to all this.

Paddy Landau
April 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
If this poster is targeted at Ubuntu users who are upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, then I believe that they are familiar with this terminology.
However, this poster would also be excellent for Windows and Mac users new to Ubuntu.

If you call it the Super key or the Meta key, I think there should be an explanatory note somewhere in the document (as a footnote, perhaps) explaining that this is the Windows key on Windows keyboards or Command key on Mac keyboards.

I agree about the triangles. My wife just loves them, especially if you're using multiple workplaces and how they turn outlined.
Have you noticed that the solid triangle changes to a stem-less arrow when on a different workspace?

keithpeter
April 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hello All

I've modified the poster to reflect the majority view (and good arguments) for using 'Super' as the name of the key that invokes the dash.

I've also changed the wording a bit (thanks Paddy Landau) and added a note about the Super key, and the idea of a 'tap' which I suppose is a new gesture for many.

Thanks to you all for the feedback which has made this simple poster much better: 'ubuntu' in action I think.

I'll label this file as 'final' sometime around Tuesday just in case someone notices a huge howler. The odp file is at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/1204-poster-4.odp

if you want to customise or use bits of this work.

Other ways of helping

If you enjoyed the proof reading and thinking through the language we use to describe the GUI, you might find the ubuntu-manual project of interest. They always need people to read through drafts, and they use a screen based proofreading system where you can annotate a text with comments. You can just read a few pages or check a chapter.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual

They are gearing up for the 12.04 manual now.

If you want to track how Unity might be developing in the next cycle, have a look at the unity-design mailing list archives.

https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/maillist.html

Paddy Landau
April 15th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thank you, Keith.

Your placement of the description of the Super key is superb (pun intended).

One small item:

"Its the Command Key on a Mac": the "Its" should be (http://www.landau.ws/english/its.html) either "It's" (with an apostrophe) or "It is". Alternatively, join the two sentences to read, "The Super key is also called the Windows key, or the Command key on a Mac"

One query:

"Tap: press quickly then release": I think the word "quickly" may confuse the less-technical user. I imagine most people would understand "tap", but what about just removing the word "quickly", as: "Tap: press and release"?

I am wondering how the HUD will work on tablets, where there is no Alt key.

... you might find the ubuntu-manual project of interest...Thanks for the links, Keith.

keithpeter
April 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
@Paddy Landau: I've made the small changes that you suggested. I've just overwritten the previous files so the links above remain valid.

I am wondering how the HUD will work on tablets, where there is no Alt key.

I haven't a clue! I expect Canonical will come up with something when Unity/Ubuntu actually gets onto a tablet device.

Everyone;

I'm 'status 410' until later on Tuesday evening now. Please keep the small changes coming, and feel free to suggest larger ones.

Paddy Landau
April 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It looks great, Keith. You should be proud of yourself.

acimi66
April 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
That is one hell of a poster...Print It!

Nice work.

keithpeter
April 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
That is one hell of a poster...Print It!

Nice work.

Its CC licenced when I find an appropriate format for the licence, so YOU print it :twisted:

Seriously, perhaps I'll find some space for a LOCO badge/customisation on Tuesday eve...

Onesimus
April 15th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Keith,

I've come in right near the end, and I've been impressed by reading the posts how helpful people have been. My one thought was that the white background makes everything look quite harsh.

Other points:
1. In the first sentence, I would suggest changing it to:
The Unity [remove user as un-necessary] interface provides all the features you would expect from a sophisticated desktop but there have been some changes since the last LTS release.

2. You have a sub-heading 'Completing common tasks' would a sub-heading of 'Overview of Desktop' be appropriate near the beginning ?

3. A lot of people will want to know where their email client is (which the default is now thunderbird). You could either make reference to the envelope on the top panel, or make the example in common tasks 'thunderbird' rather than sudoku.

4. I would capitalise the 'I' in interface in the main heading, in order to keep it consistent with the rest of the heading.

5. The spacing between paragraphs is inconsistent and may look neater if they were the same throughout.

Hope this helps.

keithpeter
April 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Keith,
3. A lot of people will want to know where their email client is (which the default is now thunderbird). You could either make reference to the envelope on the top panel, or make the example in common tasks 'thunderbird' rather than sudoku.

Hello Onesimus

That one is a bit tricky, people who do a dist upgrade from 10.04 will have Evolution as their e-mail client, so I was sort of ignoring e-mail.

I'll have a look at the other presentation suggestions you make on Tuesday evening.

Thanks.

Penguinnerd
April 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
It all looks quite good to me. Fantastic work!

Paddy Landau
April 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
My one thought was that the white background makes everything look quite harsh.
That's true, but when printing the poster I think most people would not want to spend an enormous amount of ink. I believe it possible in a PDF to create a pale background (it must be pale to retain ease of reading) that is not printed?

The Unity [remove user as un-necessary] interface provides all the features you would expect from a sophisticated desktop but there have been some changes since the last LTS release.
Not everyone knows what "LTS" means, so personally I would remove that word. Also, omitting what it has changed from would make it a bit more comfortable to people coming from Windows (this poster is targeted at those moving from 10.04, but it would work equally well to those completely new to Ubuntu).

But I like the bit about "sophisticated desktop". I think that's powerful.

A lot of people will want to know where their email client is...I would concur with Keith on this one. Just a couple of days ago, I was speaking to a long-time Windows user (still using Windows) who had no clue what I meant when I said, "email client".

Thank you for the rest of your suggestions.

keithpeter
April 17th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hello All

I have implemented some of the suggestions from Onesimus and others today. I'm marking this thread as 'solved' because I think we have reached the point of diminishing returns!

There is nothing stopping anyone modifying the poster or re-packaging the 'assets' or doing something new and linking it here. Please lets have as many resources in as many different formats as we can!

The link above leads to the version I'd encourage people to link to.

The link above leads to the Impress file for those who wish to change things or simply use the 'assets' (screen grabs, text, activities &c).

I've removed the 'author' details from the .odp file so as to prevent vicarious attribution of derivative versions. That might seem pompous but I've had problems in the past with my name being left on a document that was subsequently modified.

effenberg0x0 is making a wiki page to introduce 12.04

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11846141&postcount=4

If you wish to contribute any sentences, howtos, or resources I'm sure effenberg0x0 would be glad to have them.

ubuntu27
April 18th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Splendid keith! :popcorn: You did a great job.

Now, I shall use this pdf to guide some people ^^

Paddy Landau
April 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Keith, this is excellent.

May I suggest:

Attach the documents (PDF & ODP) to a post here (in case the two links should ever lose their validity, as happens over time).
Present the form to the design team for inclusion on the 12.04 download page. I would enthusiastically support this.

Irihapeti
April 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Excellent job!

+1 to Paddy Landau's suggestions.

keithpeter
April 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hello All

Forum limit is less than 200k for an attachment.

I suspect Canonical will be polite about the poster, but will have no intention of altering the download page, and will not really be interested in trying to get a poster translated into 40+ languages in 10 days.

I appreciate the sentiment, thanks.

Cheers

keithpeter
April 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Hello All

Minor changes to the poster suggested by people on the ubuntu-uk mailing list.

The icon you click to bring up the dash, the one with the Ubuntu logo on is apparently known as the Big Freaking Button or BFB within Canonical. Those who consider that name to be a little informal call the icon the Ubuntu Button, so I've changed the poster to reflect the latter name.

I've added a reference to the application lens and the use of the filters to get an overview of all the applications on the system. I might make another column in that table at the bottom later on when things settle down.

The general advice about getting the poster more widely linked is to put it on spreadbuntu. When I tried that, it was flagged as spam, probably because of the external links. I'll try again, and then log a bug about it being classified as spam (apparently that is what you have to do!)

Above is the link for the poster that people can give out now

Above is the link to the ODP file if you want to alter the poster, add or remove stuff or personalise it for your organisation.

Mods: how do I get this on a sticky for when Precise gets let out?

Paddy Landau
April 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
The icon you click to bring up the dash, the one with the Ubuntu logo on is apparently known as the Big Freaking Button or BFB within Canonical. Those who consider that name to be a little informal call the icon the Ubuntu Button, so I've changed the poster to reflect the latter name.
Two problems, Keith

On side you refer to the Ubuntu Button, but on the right you explain that you need to click the Dash.
When people come to the Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) or Ask Ubuntu (http://askubuntu.com/), they'll be told to "click the Dash".

Perhaps, where you point out the Ubuntu Button, add in parentheses, "(Dash)"?

But I do like the other small changes you made.

EDIT: There is a problem with the ODP file. Where you've used the Ubuntu Button (four places), the image is missing. Did you perhaps link the image instead of including it?

Mods: how do I get this on a sticky for when Precise gets let out?Ask on Forum Feedback & Help (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48).

I still think this poster could be part of the official documentation. I think I shall ask on #ubuntu-docs.

Paddy Landau
April 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Keith, I've just spoken to someone on the #ubuntu-docs channel (where your work was described as "awesome work").

I was advised that the best place to discuss documentation is on the documentation mailing list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Contact).

Are you happy to go ahead with that, or would you prefer me to discuss it with the team?

cariboo
April 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Mods: how do I get this on a sticky for when Precise gets let out?

If we sticky the link, it will be in Installationss & Upgrades as this sub-forum gets archived, and a new U+1 (Quantal Quetzal) sub-forum will be opened, I'm not a dropbox user, but will it allow hundreds, if not thousands of downloads?

keithpeter
April 24th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hello Paddy Landau, cariboo907 and all

This is my second attempt to reply, something ate my previous more detailed reply. Probably 'fault between keyboard and monitor'.

@Paddy: yes, well spotted with the inconsistent changes. I'll adopt the Ubuntu Button (Dash) format. Go ahead and make representations to Ubuntu Docs. I reached the conclusion that I'd rather just make stuff and see if people want it some time ago having been met with 'deafening silence' previously. The troublesome graphic is an SVG. What version of LO are you using? It won't work below 3.5.X. I think I'll change it for a PNG.

@cariboo907: people do run Web sites off Dropbox, it is just an authentication layer on top of Amazon S3. However, I'd prefer to get the pdf and odp on spreadbuntu so there is a proper licence and a Canonical controlled URL. They seem to have their deflection shields set to maximum: my submissions are rejected as spam (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8403291/spreadbuntu-fail.png). I'll see what I can do by Wednesday evening UK timezone, then hopefully attach a spreadbuntu link here

Paddy Landau
April 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM
@Paddy: yes, well spotted with the inconsistent changes. I'll adopt the Ubuntu Button (Dash) format. Go ahead and make representations to Ubuntu Docs. I reached the conclusion that I'd rather just make stuff and see if people want it some time ago having been met with 'deafening silence' previously.
Cool, I'll do so. I'd love to have your latest version first; do you expect to release version 5 soon?

The troublesome graphic is an SVG. What version of LO are you using? It won't work below 3.5.X. I think I'll change it for a PNG.
Ah. I'm using 3.3.4. No problem, I'll just stick with the PDF.

TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS
April 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
"Clicking the Ubuntu Button
(Dash) leads to the home
'lens'. Type part of the title
of an app or a file or a music
track to find it."

has the arrow line going straight into the final word "it"

a small detail, but worth mentioning for something precise

simosx
April 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
A common issue with new users is that they cannot find easily the installed applications, in the groups that we used to have with GNOME Panel (Accessories, Internet, System, etc).

The way to do this with Unity is to
1. click on the Ubuntu button (Dash)
2. at the bottom-center, click on the Apps view
3. finally, click on Filtered by so that you can view the available groups of applications.

Thanks for the poster!

keithpeter
April 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hello All

@TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS: OK, I'll try that later on for the 4.1 bugfix version. Anyone is welcome to access the ODT and reuse or change the material for their purposes/audience

@Paddy Landau: ODT file _should_ be ok now for any version of LO oOo as I have replaced the SVG that was causing trouble with a screen grab of the Ubuntu Button aka Dash. I think that the current state of the poster is about it now. It is a day's work so far off and on, plus all of your attention and replies.

@cariboo907: there is now a permanent link to the PDF at spreadbuntu put there by Alan Pope. I can't verify the link from within the College firewall so I'll make sure it works and post it back here later on tonight.

keithpeter
April 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
A common issue with new users is that they cannot find easily the installed applications, in the groups that we used to have with GNOME Panel (Accessories, Internet, System, etc).

The way to do this with Unity is to
1. click on the Ubuntu button (Dash)
2. at the bottom-center, click on the Apps view
3. finally, click on Filtered by so that you can view the available groups of applications.

Thanks for the poster!

Personally I just hit Super and type the function I'm trying to find information about or part of the name. That comes from me having used a dmenu/dwm based desktop previously, and Quicksilver on Mac OS before that. I don't do application menus especially.

You are the second person to suggest this, so Version 5 will have an extra column in the table for this purpose. That will be in time for 12.04.1 as I'm heading into exam mode now.

Paddy Landau
April 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thank you, Keith.

The revised button is in grey, and the problem that TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS raised is still present.

I appreciate you have to do your exams, so I have fixed those two points.

I'll post them here as soon as I can get them uploaded somewhere to share.

EDIT: Here they are (version 5).

1204-poster-5.odp (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2smkwf8cvuid7vz/1204-poster-5.odp)
1204-poster-5.pdf (https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/nemk8iz5obbkyz8/K7lchxsV38/1204-poster-5.pdf)

sgage
April 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hello All

@TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS: OK, I'll try that later on for the 4.1 bugfix version. Anyone is welcome to access the ODT and reuse or change the material for their purposes/audience

@Paddy Landau: ODT file _should_ be ok now for any version of LO oOo as I have replaced the SVG that was causing trouble with a screen grab of the Ubuntu Button aka Dash. I think that the current state of the poster is about it now. It is a day's work so far off and on, plus all of your attention and replies.

@cariboo907: there is now a permanent link to the PDF at spreadbuntu put there by Alan Pope. I can't verify the link from within the College firewall so I'll make sure it works and post it back here later on tonight.

FYI, I went to spreadbuntu.org and put Unity poster in the search thing, and up came your poster. It is not yet featured on the home page. You go to the "get" page and there's a search tool there.

keithpeter
April 25th, 2012, 07:11 PM
FYI, I went to spreadbuntu.org and put Unity poster in the search thing, and up came your poster. It is not yet featured on the home page. You go to the "get" page and there's a search tool there.

Hello sgage

That's great

@cariboo907

Below is the URL to the page where people can download the pdf or odt and see a screen grab. If this could be used in any sticky about 12.04 that would be ace

Paddy Landau
April 26th, 2012, 08:42 AM
That's still the one with the arrow going inside the "it". Did you see the correction that I offered?

keithpeter
April 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
That's still the one with the arrow going inside the "it". Did you see the correction that I offered?

Hello Paddy

I certainly did, thanks for that.

Alas, I don't seem to be able to upload to spreadubuntu, so a Canonical staff member did that for me. I'll have to ask for the modified one to replace the PDF and ODT that are currently there.

Cheers

Onesimus
April 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Keith,

First and foremost, this is a great poster !

But, there seems to be an inconsistency in the bottom table.

In the column marked 'Add and remove apps from Launcher' you provide details on how to add and remove apps, but this seems to clash with the row design on how to do this either by mouse or keyboard.

Presumably there is no method for adding an app to the launcher using solely the keyboard (?)

keithpeter
April 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
@Onesimus: if there is a way to add or remove apps from the launcher using only the keyboard, I have yet to find it! Anyone else found a way?

@Paddy Landau: its great that you did that correction, thanks, I just don't have a way of changing the version on spredubuntu. By the way, it isn't me that is taking the exams, it is my 90 odd students (and some of them can be very odd :twisted: )

Everyone: Paddy Landau has seen an issue, taken ownership and sorted it. I really would be delighted if others did that and if we could either use spreadubuntu or find another way of distributing variant versions, or brochures/leaflets or other kinds of media.

Cheers

Paddy Landau
April 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM
This thread has been moved to the Community Café (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11) so that we can continue the discussion.

I have contacted the Ubuntu Doc team, and the team seems to be in agreement. :)

I am not sure what the next step is, but I will report when something relevant happens.

The team was also keen to have the poster on Spreadubuntu (http://spreadubuntu.org/), which of course Keith has already done (http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/brochure/1204-poster), albeit that he is struggling to update it to the latest version.

Paddy

Hannie
April 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I tried to find it with the search tool (Ubuntu 12.04, Unity, etc.) but I cannot find it. I also do not see it on http://spreadubuntu.org/nl/translate
I would like to translate this poster into Dutch so that we can put it on our LoCo website.
Do we need permission for it?

Paddy Landau
April 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I tried to find it with the search tool (Ubuntu 12.04, Unity, etc.) but I cannot find it. I also do not see it on http://spreadubuntu.org/nl/translate
It is a bit tricky to find, especially as my link in post #82 was incorrect (I have fixed it). The correct link:

The latest version is available in post #75.

I would like to translate this poster into Dutch so that we can put it on our LoCo website.
Do we need permission for it?
Keith has kindly released this excellent poster with an open license. You are welcome to take it and translate it. Pop along to post #75 where you can find the original .odp.

keithpeter
April 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks Paddy Landau

I've edited the first post on this page with the links to Paddy Landau's corrected version of the poster. I'm popping them below as well for convenience.

29th April: Corrected versions

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2smkwf8cvuid7vz/1204-poster-5.odp

https://dl.dropbox.com/sh/nemk8iz5obbkyz8/K7lchxsV38/1204-poster-5.pdf

The version on Spreadubuntu (has a small but annoying error - we are trying to have the file swapped). This is the link

The poster is issued under a creative commons licence, see Spreadbuntu page, and so you can translate/modify &c

If I did this again, I would actually use Writer.

Hannie
April 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
It is a bit tricky to find, especially as my link in post #82 was incorrect (I have fixed it). The correct link:

The latest version is available in post #75.

Thank you for the link, Paddy. I downloaded the odp file from post #75

Keith has kindly released this excellent poster with an open license. You are welcome to take it and translate it. Pop along to post #75 where you can find the original .odp.

I have already started with the translation. As a member of the Ubuntu Manual Team I also want to suggest to menstion this poster and spreadubuntu.org in the coming version (12.04) of our manual.

keithpeter
April 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have already started with the translation. As a member of the Ubuntu Manual Team I also want to suggest to menstion this poster and spreadubuntu.org in the coming version (12.04) of our manual.

Hello Hannie

It would be great to have a mention of the poster in the Ubuntu Manual.

When I compared the 10.04 version of the Ubuntu Manual with the 11.10 version, I was thinking which parts had changed and which were basically still the same and that gave me the idea for a 'quick fix' poster. Someone who knows 10.04 just needs to be able to find their way round the new navigation.

Paddy Landau
May 30th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Keith, has the Spreadbuntu version (http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/brochure/1204-poster) been fixed yet?

I am following this up with the Ubuntu Documentation team, which was in favour of putting it onto the official Ubuntu website.

Paddy

Paddy Landau
August 7th, 2012, 03:36 PM
News: The poster may be mentioned in the second edition of the 12.04 manual (apt:getting-started-with-ubuntu-12.04).

However, the Spreadubuntu poster (http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/brochure/1204-poster) is still out-of-date. keithpeter — are you able to follow this up?