PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Nature of updates...

santosh83
April 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hello all,

This is basic question which has plauged me for quite some time.

Let us just assume I do a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 again today. Obviously all its packages would be 18 months old by now, and Canonical has released many many updates since, for these packages.

Now my question is whether a given package would simply get its most recent update or instead I'd have to install all the updates for that package, that Canonical have put out since 10.10.2010?

Similarly for all other packages of course, but I'm just considering one for simplicity's sake.

Bucky Ball
April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
You could download the current 10.10 ISO and that would have all the updates already. Simpler. But the updates wouldn't take too long by installing an old one.

There would be updates either way I would think, more one way than the other.

kc1di
April 9th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

This is basic question which has plauged me for quite some time.

Let us just assume I do a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 again today. Obviously all its packages would be 18 months old by now, and Canonical has released many many updates since, for these packages.

Now my question is whether a given package would simply get its most recent update or instead I'd have to install all the updates for that package, that Canonical have put out since 10.10.2010?

Similarly for all other packages of course, but I'm just considering one for simplicity's sake.

When you do an update all files installed at the time of the update will be updated to their most current version, for the release in your case 10.10. If you have a highspeed internet connection it will not be too hard to do.

I would do it today however because 10.10 reaches it's end of life cycle tomorrow. April 10th. Which means it will receive no further updates after that date. If you could I would upgrade to at least 11.04 and 12.04 will be out soon.

Rex Bouwense
April 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM
You could download the current 10.10 ISO and that would have all the updates already. Simpler. But the updates wouldn't take too long by installing an old one.

There would be updates either way I would think, more one way than the other.

This is contrary to what I read some where but I cannot find it now. I was under the impression that once the ISO is released it is not updated. The ISO that you downloaded on the release date is the same as the ISO that you would download 18 months later. The updates that have been released have to be downloaded separately unless you specify to update while installing. Is this not correct?

haqking
April 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
This is contrary to what I read some where but I cannot find it now. I was under the impression that once the ISO is released it is not updated. The ISO that you downloaded on the release date is the same as the ISO that you would download 18 months later. The updates that have been released have to be downloaded separately unless you specify to update while installing. Is this not correct?

Thats is correct.

If you look at the .iso downloads the last modification was 2010

http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/

If you want an older version use 10.04 LTS which is long term support.

Cheers

zombifier25
April 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM
EDIT: NINJA'D!

Yep. ISO images are NOT updated after release, except for LTS releases, which gets updated 4 times in its lifetime (18 months between each updates)
(You can go to releases.ubuntu.com and check the "last updated" date of the ISO files to see it yourself)

haqking
April 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Thats is correct.

If you look at the .iso downloads the last modification was 2010

http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/

If you want an older version use 10.04 LTS which is long term support. Well until April 2013 so one more year

You could download the current 10.10 ISO and that would have all the updates already.

As mentioned above i believe that is incorrect

Cheers

Bucky Ball
April 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the correction. I imagined all the same as LTS releases (now on 10.04.4) but obviously not. ;)