PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Water effect - is Compiz working?

lemonoid
April 9th, 2012, 04:57 AM
When I installed 11.10 on my Laptop, I was determined to get Compiz working, because this was a brand new laptop with much higher capabilities to run Compiz than my old laptop. I tried a few different kinks and after a while I gave up, because I couldn't see that anything was working. The main thing I wanted was the cube and then the window effects. However, I was just playing around with some button combinations while at my Desktop screen and while pressing Meta + Ctrl + Mousepad I get water effects. If I don't move the mouse its just rings but if I move the mouse around it's like I'm dragging my finger through water. Does this mean that Compiz is working? Or is this something else?

UPDATE:
I figured out my Compiz is working, I was finally able to get my wobbly windows I've wanted for so long but I do have a question. I have actually tried a few times to figure out my answer to this, and I tried going into GNOME and getting it to work, but I hate having to switch just for a cube. When I go into my Compiz settings and enable cube, it says I must disable desktop wall, which is part of largedesktop, part of Unity Plugins. If I disable the Unity plugins, will that pretty much just make my laptop crash? Isn't unity pretty much the entire UI? I don't know how compiz completely works, I don't know if this means that it is going to replace the entire UI, or just the plugins that Compiz uses...that's why I'm thrown for a loop here. That's why I've gone to Gnome to do it, because of Unity. SO I guess my main question is, in Compiz settings can I disable the Unity plugins safely to enable my desktop cube? If anyone knows a fairly simple way to do this, or a way that you could quickly explain, just let me know. Thanks mucho!

Krytarik
April 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM
When I go into my Compiz settings and enable cube, it says I must disable desktop wall, which is part of largedesktop, part of Unity Plugins. If I disable the Unity plugins, will that pretty much just make my laptop crash? Isn't unity pretty much the entire UI?
Yes - so you must make sure to re-enable the Unity Plugin after switching from the Desktop Wall to the Desktop Cube, which also provides the "largedesktop" feature - while you are still in CCSM! For a step-by-step guide, please see here:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/10/things-to-do-after-installing-1110.html

Regards.