PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Need advice on installing Xubuntu over Ubuntu

dkolars
April 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Running Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and will NOT upgrade to 11.10 because of Unity!! Put XUbuntu 11.10 on my laptop and like it a lot! Since my laptop is not my main "working" computer (used only when I travel), I simply installed XUbuntu over Ubuntu, deleting all my data, programs, settings, etc. then re-loaded Chrome, Krusader, etc. and copied the settings that I could see on my desktop, imported bookmarks, etc. Not too hard.

BUT, with my desktop, I want to SAVE all my programs, settings, etc. I popped in the Disc and attempted to install it alongside Ubuntu, but it wants to put it on one of my external drives. I don't ~want~ it on my external drive!

So, is there a procedure for switching OS and keeping the existing data/programs/links/etc./etc.??? A list of directories to save so that all my settings can be put back into the programs? etc. etc. etc.

TIA....

PhantomTurtle
April 9th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I pretty sure if you upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 using the update manager, the programs you have come with it. Also after you upgrade Ubuntu, install xubuntu-desktop(if you had not already in 11.04). If you had xubuntu-desktop package installed on 11.04, that will also be upgraded.

Bucky Ball
April 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM
If you don't want to add the Xubuntu packages, just the desktop environment, install xfce4 from Software Centre/Synaptics. That will install the desktop environment used by Xubuntu only. ;)

jerrrys
April 9th, 2012, 05:57 AM
You should be able to upgrade in terminal.

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

But keep in mind upgrades can break.

dkolars
April 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies... however, the point that obviously didn't get made clear enuf was that I want to CHANGE my OS to Xubuntu... When I installed it on my laptop, replacing Ubuntu 11.04, I noticed that it loads quicker, it runs faster, etc., etc., etc.

So, once again, I need to be able to SAVE my current Ubuntu (customized by me) program settings so that when I uninstall Ubuntu and install XUbuntu, I'll be able to (sort of) pick up from where I was. There is nothing in the install settings, or that I've found on-line, that lets me believe that any upgrade will preserve what I have when I change the OS from Ubuntu to Xubuntu.

So, any hints?

Elfy
April 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Your program settings are all in your home in hidden files/folders.

Back them up and copy across.

I did the same thing a year ago - copied the necessary things and then put them back in a clean install.

I also copied my fstab and a couple of other system files.

When you do the install it is likely that you want to use the something else option - this will allow you to pick where to install to.