PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu LXDE Desktop displays Home Directory

jimwims
April 8th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I installed Lubuntu 11.10 yesterday. At first the desktop display was as you would expect, no icons at all except for the bar at the bottom. While I was installing the programs I wanted, it suddenly started displaying the contents of my home directory on the desktop. When I click "Desktop" in the left column of the file manager, I am taken to my desktop. If I try to delete the folders or files from my desktop, the same folder or file is deleted from my home directory. Is there a way to get my desktop back to its normal, blank state? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

nothingspecial
April 9th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Thread moved to Desktop Environments.

2F4U
April 9th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Do you remember what programs were installed? Seems as if you installed a program that changed the desktop behaviour.

jimwims
April 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM
The programs I installed were Teamviewer, fldigi (an amateur radio digital mode program) and flrig (a companion amateur radio rig control program). I have installed and run all of them under previous installations of different Ubuntu versions, most recently 11.04, without any problem like this.

Tnx.

brainwash
April 10th, 2012, 12:26 AM
You can change the desktop directory by editing the value of XDG_DESKTOP_DIR in the file ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. If the line is missing, just add:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"

Also make sure, that the directory exists.

jimwims
April 10th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Perfect!

Thanks very much.

Jim