PDA

View Full Version : Kindle for Programming Books

stamatiou
April 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I was planning to buy an Amazon Kindle for reading Programming Books. But as I have read, Kindle is not very practical with code and pdf (I am talking about the small one). Is it true? If yes, do you have any suggestion?
Thank you very much!

KBD47
April 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I was planning to buy an Amazon Kindle for reading Programming Books. But as I have read, Kindle is not very practical with code and pdf (I am talking about the small one). Is it true? If yes, do you have any suggestion?
Thank you very much!

The Kindle DX has a larger screen and works well as I understand for pdfs. I have a Kindle Fire and it does well because you can zoom and maneuver around pdfs better than with a regular Kindle.
KBD47

SemiExpert
April 9th, 2012, 06:23 PM
The Kindle DX has a larger screen and works well as I understand for pdfs. I have a Kindle Fire and it does well because you can zoom and maneuver around pdfs better than with a regular Kindle.
KBD47

To the contrary, the Kindle DX is based on the 2nd generation Kindle, so page turns are slower than a 3rd generation Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle DX is really just a 2009 vintage Kindle 2 with a 9.7 inch screen. I'm not a big fan of the Kindle Fire, either, as I regard it as an interim product, rushed to market for the 2011 Holiday Season. If the OP wants to read .pdf files, I don't think that any of the current Kindle hardware represents an optimal solution. Buy a Kindle to read Kindle books or public domain .mobi file format books. I'd advise waiting until the upcoming crop of new ARM tablets this summer, if you indeed want a color tablet. The iPad 3 might have an optimal screen resolution, but it's worth waiting for another generation for Apple to solve power management issues. I'd advise any Android buyer to wait until details on the upcoming Google Nexus tablet are released, or until Tegra 3 and competing ARM chips have made their way into retail hardware. Or just buy an e-ink Kindle to read Kindle books and .mobi, and read .pdf books on a conventional PC, which is probably the optimal solution at the moment.

stamatiou
April 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM
To the contrary, the Kindle DX is based on the 2nd generation Kindle, so page turns are slower than a 3rd generation Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle DX is really just a 2009 vintage Kindle 2 with a 9.7 inch screen. I'm not a big fan of the Kindle Fire, either, as I regard it as an interim product, rushed to market for the 2011 Holiday Season. If the OP wants to read .pdf files, I don't think that any of the current Kindle hardware represents an optimal solution. Buy a Kindle to read Kindle books or public domain .mobi file format books. I'd advise waiting until the upcoming crop of new ARM tablets this summer, if you indeed want a color tablet. The iPad 3 might have an optimal screen resolution, but it's worth waiting for another generation for Apple to solve power management issues. I'd advise any Android buyer to wait until details on the upcoming Google Nexus tablet are released, or until Tegra 3 and competing ARM chips have made their way into retail hardware. Or just buy an e-ink Kindle to read Kindle books and .mobi, and read .pdf books on a conventional PC, which is probably the optimal solution at the moment.
The Google NExxus is the new tablet that google will make in 6 months?

SemiExpert
April 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
The Google NExxus is the new tablet that google will make in 6 months?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/6/2929707/google-tablet-july-launch-exclusive

stamatiou
April 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/6/2929707/google-tablet-july-launch-exclusive
Yes but if it will be 7 inches, will it be practical for reading pdf;

SemiExpert
April 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Yes but if it will be 7 inches, will it be practical for reading pdf;

Now that is a very good question. Personally, I'm not all that thrilled by the 16:9 aspect ratio, 7 inch form factor for reading books, and .pdf files don't scale very well on touchscreen devices. For the record though, I'm not all that thrilled with any of the 10 inch 16:9 and 16:10 Android tablets, and the best selling point for the iPad has always been the 4:3 aspect ratio screen that you hold canis meant to be held in portrait orientation.

I'm not endorsing the iPad, and as previously stated, I wouldn't buy the current iPad 3 due to the power management issues. I also don't know about the implications of the rumored 7.85 inch iPad.