PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell latitude d630

gordonjr05
April 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi i think im in the right place im new to Ubuntu and i was wondering if someone could tell me how to install all driver for the computer that i got and the specs are as followed
Intel 965 express chip set

dell wireless 1390 wlan card

Intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz

4 gigs ram
those are the specs that i need help getting drivers for

and the others things i was wondering is if i could get a newbie guide to install and run wine
becuase i play world of Warcraft and would like to get it running as well could someone link me some free programs i could use that are similar to Photoshop and Dreamweaver and i was wonder if you can get blender to run under Ubuntu thanks for help guys im a complete noob lol
thanks Gordon Albert
also i do have Skype) if it be easier ):P

CottonCandy
April 8th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the forums!

There is an option to install additional drivers in the system settings menu. In 11.10 (& I think also 11,04) you can click the icon in the top right corner, select System Setting, then click Additional Drivers. It will automatically look for any necessary drivers.

I have never run Wine so you'll probably want to search the forums &/or your preferred search engine for "How to install Wine on Ubuntu" or wait for someone else to see your post & point you to a guide.

For vector graphics: Inkscape
For photo editing: GIMP
There are other options for both, but those are the programs I'm familiar with.

Yes Blender runs on Ubuntu.

You can find all of those, along with other programs in Ubuntu's Software Center in the Graphics category. Always install from Software Center!! ONLY download & install from the web if you cannot find the program in Software Center! Maybe even ask about it here on the forums first.

For suggested Dreamweaver alternatives as well as alternatives for other windows/mac only programs take a look here: http://www.osalt.com/ http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives
Remember if you find a program you want to try, look for it in Ubuntu's Software Center first!

Have fun & enjoy Ubuntu! :)

hughr2005
April 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM
sounds similar to what I'm going to start doing as soon as I've got ubuntu installed :P Good luck :)

gordonjr05
April 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
thanks for all the useful information if i can help other members once i no how to work ubuntu i will

gordonjr05
April 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM
hey and 1 last question sorry is it safe to update ubuntu in the update manager ive heard of doing so and it crashing ubuntu thanks

CottonCandy
April 9th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Glad to help. :)

It is safe to update programs and packages, but you don't want to upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu that way. That has caused may people problems and crashes. Things like that can happen when updating programs too, but it is much less likely.

So for example, in a month or so when Ubuntu 12.04 comes out it may ask you if you want to upgrade to 12.04. Don't do it! Instead go to ubuntu.com and download and burn to a CD just as you did before. I think the CD even gives you an update option now where it will keep your home folder & just change the system files instead of a new install. But you always want to have a live CD.

Also, ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES. It is much easier to deal with problems when you know all your files are safe on an external hard drive or USB or whatever backup solution you use. Backup regularly and backup before installing/reinstalling/upgrading or making any major system changes.